Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: ATF raids polymer 80.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Don't forget that dirtbag who ambushed those two deputies in Compton used an 80% build. It is undeniable that these builds are turning up as crime guns.
    Yes. P80 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don't see a motive for someone to make 80% or even finished receivers from scratch when 80% are available.
    From the criminal/prohibited persons/Boogaloo/John Brown perspective, no.

But for the hobby machinist with skills and equipment that exceed a drill press and a router, it makes sense as a project for someone who isn't interested in building bird houses or tiny ships inside bottles.

The raw forgings at one time could be purchased for around $20 and the files have been readily available for years. One guy that I know ruined 3 forgings before getting it right. When it's all said and done, you've got a soft aluminum receiver that hasn't been type 3 hard coat anodized, and it's cost prohibitive to have it anodized properly unless you're doing a bunch, so you're left with rattle can which isn't very tough, cerakote, or moly resin.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    it's cost prohibitive to have it anodized properly unless you're doing a bunch
    Is it really? I've not done it myself, but it seems relatively* simple.

* I mean, requiring about the same skill level as finishing an 80% receiver into a 100% receiver. Or is what they're doing not "properly"?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Is it really? I've not done it myself, but it seems relatively* simple.

* I mean, requiring about the same skill level as finishing an 80% receiver into a 100% receiver. Or is what they're doing not "properly"?
    There are different grades of anodizing and I'd be surprised if you could replicate type 3 hard coat at home but I could be wrong.

Most of the shiny anodized Strike Industries type AR parts are very thin and flimsy.

"One guy that I know ruined 3 forgings before getting it right."

Doing a 0% does give you a lot of chances to drop the ball :-), especially on manual equipment. You are always one handwheel revolution away from scrapping it. I get a little nervous on the last few steps ... 'Please, Lord, don't let me eff up this far along' :-). That's one of the reasons I think guns are kinda fun ... there are a whole lot of operations on one piece, relative to a steam engine kit or something. [1]

"When it's all said and done, you've got a soft aluminum receiver that hasn't been type 3 hard coat anodized, and it's cost prohibitive to have it anodized properly unless you're doing a bunch, so you're left with rattle can which isn't very tough, cerakote, or moly resin."

FWIW, I've had good luck with 'VHT' epoxy paint from auto parts stores. It looks the same as commercial anodizing, and for my not-an-operator use it doesn't wear.

I'm think you can DIY hard anodize; it's the same setup, chemicals, etc, except different temps and acid concentrations. The scuttlebutt I hear is it's easy to get a suitable wear resistant finish when hardcoating, but it's hard to get an attractive one; they tend to be blotchy. But mind you, I haven't tried myself - I don't want to have buckets of acids setting around to do one every few years, and the epoxy paint has worked fine for me. I think you also have to allow for the coating thickness when sizing pin holes and so on.

[1]Had an Uncle who was a tool and die maker, back in the days before CNC and EDM ... dies were a lot more expensive than now. As in, more than his house was worth. He'd get one in for repair, with instructions 'grind .0003 off top surface' or something. He said you might wait a couple of days until you were having a particularly switched on morning before doing that job.

Site Supporter
    I've not heard this mentioned--that a guy might buy an 80% receiver that was defective. Then regardless of his skill, he would end up with a poorly functioning unit. He might discover that warranty would be a joke. I once followed the writing of a respected but now deceased armorer(known by many here. Somebody help me with this gentleman's name). I learned that the apparently simple AR design invites many to build them and add this crappy part or that other after market item. Often they end up with an unreliable rifle. I shoot dirt clods, rocks, and stumps. I won't live long enough to discover that my hybrid AR is a piece of shit. If somebody went to war with it, he might learn that his rifle failed the test.
    I understand why a tinkerer might experiment with an 80% receiver but can't see that a knowledgeable shooter would use a rifle put together with one.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Producing 80% or finished guns ?
    Producing finished from 80% lowers, particularly, AR's.

Thanks, your post was informative and answered my question.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A guy I know did some DIY anodizing of car parts he'd fabricated. Came out looking good to my eyes. Better than stuff that got made by/for PSA before it went on the blem sale rack, for whatever that's worth.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I've not heard this mentioned--that a guy might buy an 80% receiver that was defective. Then regardless of his skill, he would end up with a poorly functioning unit. He might discover that warranty would be a joke. I once followed the writing of a respected but now deceased armorer(known by many here. Somebody help me with this gentleman's name). I learned that the apparently simple AR design invites many to build them and add this crappy part or that other after market item. Often they end up with an unreliable rifle. I shoot dirt clods, rocks, and stumps. I won't live long enough to discover that my hybrid AR is a piece of shit. If somebody went to war with it, he might learn that his rifle failed the test.
    I understand why a tinkerer might experiment with an 80% receiver but can't see that a knowledgeable shooter would use a rifle put together with one.
    Will Larson.. Iraqgunz... RIP...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Not all guns are for serious business. Some are range toys or plinkers.

Chris

User Tag List