Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Titegroup Loads

Light Titegroup Loads

So I am looking to create a 38 special (snubby), "mouse-fart" TITEGROUP load for some relaxed practice at a 30 foot target. I was told by someone at RimRock not to go below 3.1 grains for the 148 SWCs I bought from them. Well, I started testing at 3.0, as I only have Federal magnum primers, and today I was down to 2.6 grains. Even the 2.6s seem to have a fair amount of kick to them, and I am befuddled. How low might I go and still stay semi-accurate at 30 feet? Please advise...

The issue is if the bullet sticks in the bore and you don’t know you have a bore obstruction. I’ve gone down to 1.5gn without issue.

Site Supporter
    You’re already below Hodgdon’s starting load (2.7 grains) for that bullet weight, and their data is for HBWCs, so your velocity will be less than what they report (771 fps from a 7.7” barrel, so about 550 fps from a snubby). Factory wadcutter runs about 635 fps from my 642. You’re not going to get .22LR-level recoil from a .38. You might be able to drop another couple of tenths, but much lower and you run the risk of sticking a bullet in the barrel.

Site Supporter
    Get a S&W 43C, or Ruger LCR / SP101 in .22LR.

Ideally, whatever your snuggie is, in 22LR. Save your precious supplies for 38 special, and use the 22LR for actual mousefart loads.

If you really want mouse farts 125g cast bullets are probably better. I loaded some really light to keep around for new shooters.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My go-to light load for .38 Spl is 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain wadcutter or 158-grain semiwad. If you want any lighter than that, I really think that you're better off getting a .22LR snubbie, which is actually great fun to shoot. I would be concerned about consistently dispensing much less powder than that (~.3cc) without a special charge bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Please advise...
    You've said you're new to shooting and reloading, so here's my advice. Don't go off the reservation when reloading.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

A lot of the SASS shooters I know load 125gr Missouri Bullet cast bullets over 3.1 gr of Titegroup and it is generally acknowledged among those experienced reloaders as the minimum load that will produce consistent results. It produces about 600-625 fps from a 4 3/4 to 5 1/2" barrel and extremely low recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    The issue is if the bullet sticks in the bore and you don’t know you have a bore obstruction. I’ve gone down to 1.5gn without issue.
    Thanks...I wouldn't go that low but nice to know it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    My go-to light load for .38 Spl is 2.8 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain wadcutter or 158-grain semiwad. If you want any lighter than that, I really think that you're better off getting a .22LR snubbie, which is actually great fun to shoot. I would be concerned about consistently dispensing much less powder than that (~.3cc) without a special charge bar.

Thanks...great to know that 2.8 is in the ballpark.

User Tag List