Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Removing Mower Blade from Lawn Tractor

Site Supporter

RFI: Removing Mower Blade from Lawn Tractor

I terminally bent one of the blades on my mower. I've got the socket and just bought a 1/2" breaker bar to remove it, but can't figure out how to immobilize the blade. It's a Troy-Built I got from Lowe's. Any ideas will be appreciated. TIA!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I terminally bent one of the blades on my mower. I've got the socket and just bought a 1/2" breaker bar to remove it, but can't figure out how to immobilize the blade. It's a Troy-Built I got from Lowe's. Any ideas will be appreciated. TIA!
    Some mowers have a place on the top of the deck where you can lock the blades, often by inserting a socket wrench/breaker bar. Others lack that and a wedge of wood between the blade and the edge of the deck has been my answer. There is a special tool made that's a clamp that locks the blade to the edge of the deck, but I've never bothered to buy one.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Wedge a chuck of 2x4 between the blade and the outshoot and wrench it off.

Dunno about mowers in particular, but for the general case of removing nuts from shafts you can't immobilize (alternator pulleys are a common example) one technique is an impact wrench - the zillion impacts work against the inertia of the shaft and the nut comes off.

Site Supporter
    Same as above just wedge a chunk of wood somewhere between the deck and blade. It’s what we’ve done for commercial mowers since forever.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Have you tried taking it off and found it's really stuck, or are you just preparing for the worst? I haven't had an issue removing a blade or torquing it to spec holding the blade with one hand and wrench with the other.

Buy this for $11 or use a block of wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Stens-750-058...dp/B001OK8K1Q/
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I agree that you can probably hold the blade in one hand and breaker bar in another, that's what I've done in the past. Same idea as 2 opposing pipe wrenches. Wear gloves so you can get some torque on it without bothering your hands.

Also a good use for an impact gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Wedge a chuck of 2x4 between the blade and the outshoot and wrench it off.
    this is what I do.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

If it gives you any trouble with the above mentioned methods heat the bolt up with a propane/MAPP torch for a few minutes then let it cool slightly.

User Tag List