Thread: For the Opinel guys

For the Opinel guys

This showed up in the list of "things you might be interested in" on Kickstarter: The O-CLIP Removable Pocket Clip for #8 Opinel Knife

Name:  o clip 1.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  36.8 KB
    Name:  o clip 2.JPG
Views: 548
Size:  24.4 KB

I haven't really tried to carry my No6 or smaller Opinel (maybe a No2?). Is this something that would really be useful or is it more gimmick than anything?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This showed up in the list of "things you might be interested in" on Kickstarter: The O-CLIP Removable Pocket Clip for #8 Opinel Knife

Name:  o clip 1.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  36.8 KB
    Name:  o clip 2.JPG
Views: 548
Size:  24.4 KB

I haven't really tried to carry my No6 or smaller Opinel (maybe a No2?). Is this something that would really be useful or is it more gimmick than anything?
    I'm not sure about usefulness but still seems pretty cool! Usefulness wise: if I carry an Opinel its usually just drop in the front pocket. Between light weight, closed locking, and general non-tacticoolness (even modded for one hand opening) I haven't really missed a having a clip. I still might kick in for one just cuz though :-)

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    That's cool - I'm curious to see how it works but I like Opinels and that's a neat little addition.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    That, and one handed opening, would make the opinel knives perfect for my work.

Especially since things tend to snag on the clips and push them out/get them lost.

I’m new to Opinels, how do you modify for one handed opening?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I’m new to Opinels, how do you modify for one handed opening?
    You need to do two things generally:

1) Expose enough of the blade spine to allow it to be grasped between thumb and forefinger. This is pretty easy to accomplish with a Dremel sanding wheel. Some models like the Number 8 Garden don’t need this step at all. Depending on how you reshape the wood avoid removing any out towards the folded blade tip. Remove from there and the tip can wobble out a hair exposed.

2) Generally you’ll need to loosen the slot the blade pivots in. This is not an absolute but a usually. If needed:

(a) Remove the lock ring with a pair of ring pliers. (There are other ways to do this but ring pliers is really the way to go)

(b) Using an automatic center punch remove the pivot pin. The punch will get this started but usually the pin will still need some prying. Try not to bend it or deform the head. A small pair of pliers or vice grips will help here. Depending it may take a bit to get it out.

(c) Remove the inner ring and the blade.

(d) Using a small file or sanding paper open the inside of the pivot slot. Be careful here. Remove too much and the blade will get butterfly knife loose and be a threat to your fingers when you open the lock. Remove even more than that and blade can become wobbly in the socket. You want to just remove enough to allow a smooth clean pivot while still maintaining some resistance. Make small changes and test as you go.

(e) Now is the time to restain the wood if you are going too. If restaining do NOT sand the outside of the pivot socket. If you do the ring lock will become loose.

(f) Reassemble in reverse order. A light hammer or mallet is helpful for reseating the pin. If you get a lot of resistance don’t try to bang it in. You may need to polish the tip of the pin to remove any burrs or mushrooming.

It’s really not all that hard. You just need to go slow and have patience.

I've gotten better since this one but an example handy in my on phone pics:

Name:  20201009_075940.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  84.1 KB

Bumping this old thread, after attending the "Original Ft Worth Gun Show" and not buying ANYTHING, me and my buddy stopped by House of Blades and I picked up an Opinel #10. I used to keep one in my stone masonry tool box when I did that for a living, diggity years ago.

With inspiration from this thread, I give you Gringop's old man crappy grip capacity one-handed-opening Opinel #10.

Gaze upon it, oh ye mighty, and despair!

Name:  20210116_192208A.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  67.1 KB
    Name:  20210116_192953A.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  91.3 KB
    Name:  20210116_193057A.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  66.3 KB

I carefully smoothed the wood holding the blade, skillfully fitted the components back together, detected some roughness in the locking collar and added a drop of Slick2k EWL.

Instantly the blade got butterfly knife loose and I'm ready for a Sharks vs. Jets switchblade dance off. Not a problem, I'm just glad to be able to have the knife deploy one handed.

Damn this thing sharpened up wonderfully, as in "cut you in an instant if you don't pay attention to it", wonderfully. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I'm a bit of a knife snob but I can't disagree with how sharp one can get an Opinel.

User Tag List