Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detained for Open Carry Portland, Maine

Detained for Open Carry Portland, Maine

Thought this was interesting.

--
    Stay Safe,
    Frank

In some states you are required to identify yourself. Be careful in your own State...this was Maine.
    The citizen was very well versed in the law, but I don't think its necessary to quote the laws to the police.
    I thought the guy's tone was too indignant...justified, of course, but not helping.

Is it reasonable for a police officer to disarm you during an encounter for his own protection? (Not to say there is any threat.) I can understand why he wants to protect himself.

CC

This sort of thing will never seem productive.
    I don't understand what's happening, but I have a soldering iron.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    In some states you are required to identify yourself. Be careful in your own State...this was Maine.
    The citizen was very well versed in the law, but I don't think its necessary to quote the laws to the police.
    I thought the guy's tone was too indignant...justified, of course, but not helping.

Is it reasonable for a police officer to disarm you during an encounter for his own protection? (Not to say there is any threat.) I can understand why he wants to protect himself.

CC
    His tone was one of provocation. He wanted to start an issue, "Can I have your first name?" "No." Why? I asked myself. Ohh because he wanted a payday out of this whole thing. Guys like this record themselves walking around for hours and days on end in nice suburban areas with very low crime rates just so they can jam someone up. Where exactly does this get "the cause" ? No where. These types of people (yep, I said it) are going to ruin it for everyone else down the line.

It is perfectly reasonable for a LEO to disarm, clear the weapon, and then proceed with the encounter/investigation.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

We are diminished
    If you walk around with the express intent of provoking a reaction from a cop, don't be surprised or upset when you provoke a reaction from a cop. Duh.

I think Paul Sharp (from TPI forum) had the best idea ever when it comes to citizens videotaping police: he pulls out his camera and starts videotaping them right back. That's just awesome.

I have seen more and more LEOs with very small video cameras mounted on their head/shoulders. Like a much smaller contour roam.

I reckon this is the future, and its a great thing for all.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

It's all about attitude. Depending on how yours is greatly dictates how theirs will be. Pretty simple human interaction issue.

I've been stopped before while carrying. I was driving my truck down to the parts store to buy a replacement headlight and low and behold, I pass every single cop and highway in the town. Had my high beams on because they both still worked, but the second (last) highway unit I passed flashed his high beams at me to turn mine down. I did not as I would then have a light out. He flipped around and pulled me over. When he got to the door, I was cordial and smiling. I said "Good evening sir. For our mutual safety, I'd like to inform you that I have a permit to carry a handgun and am doing so." He returned the civil discourse by asking for my permit. Never asked to see the gun, but I told him where it was as I had to reach past it to get my wallet.

After that, it was on to why I didn't dim my lights (which I wouldn't think is an offense that warrants being pulled over, but that's besides the case) I told him the issue and where I was heading. He handed me back my permit and license and then proceeded to ask what I was carrying. I told him and we sat and chatted about guns for about 10 minutes.

Be civil, receive civility. Be a douche, receive douchiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    It's all about attitude. Depending on how yours is greatly dictates how theirs will be. Pretty simple human interaction issue.

I've been stopped before while carrying. I was driving my truck down to the parts store to buy a replacement headlight and low and behold, I pass every single cop and highway in the town. Had my high beams on because they both still worked, but the second (last) highway unit I passed flashed his high beams at me to turn mine down. I did not as I would then have a light out. He flipped around and pulled me over. When he got to the door, I was cordial and smiling. I said "Good evening sir. For our mutual safety, I'd like to inform you that I have a permit to carry a handgun and am doing so." He returned the civil discourse by asking for my permit. Never asked to see the gun, but I told him where it was as I had to reach past it to get my wallet.

After that, it was on to why I didn't dim my lights (which I wouldn't think is an offense that warrants being pulled over, but that's besides the case) I told him the issue and where I was heading. He handed me back my permit and license and then proceeded to ask what I was carrying. I told him and we sat and chatted about guns for about 10 minutes.

Be civil, receive civility. Be a douche, receive douchiness.
    I have had a few conversations just like this one. If you have good interpersonal communication skills and at the very least feign some degree of cordiality it may be one of the best LEO-involved experiences you may have.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

What exactly was the point of this video? To show how annoying open carry "advocates" can be?
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

I hate when people try to provoke our LEOs with crap like this. They have better things to do then deal with people trying to be smart asses.

If we honestly want to preserve our right to carry and give the uniformed public a positive view of what we believe and excercise, then people need to cut this crap out because it does not contribute anything positive.

User Tag List