Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zappa Thread

Zappa Thread

New documentary coming out on Frank Zappa:

And it will be shocking to me if there aren't a bunch of closet Zappa fans hanging around here on P-F.

For me, my introduction to Zappa happened late. As in, I only started listening to Zappa in the past two years. One of my best friends from grad school is a big Zappa fan and his enthusiasm plus all the great Zappa quotes out there - made me start listening. I'm not sure where else you'll find a kazoo solo in the middle of a song about non-authentic people. I am still very much working my way though Zappa's extensive discography and keep returning to the first couple of albums to listen to the different layers in the music.

Meantime, let's kick it off with a choice Zappa quote:

“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.”

I love me some zappa, This will be a co documentary.
    Come, mother, come! For terror is thy name, death is in thy breath, and every shaking step destroys a world for e'er. Thou 'time', the all-destroyer! Come, O mother, come!

Suzy Creamcheese!

Phi Zappa Krappa!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm rather fond of him as a true iconoclast and great musician. Lyrically, he was like that kid in the back of the class who would always crack jokes and cut up, with more than a few sarcastic jibes thrown toward the teacher. Musically, he was that same kid at home, diligently studying for hours every night.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

There's nothing civil about this war.

Kevin Matthews was a DJ in Chicago in the 90s, and would play Zappa once in a while. He had him on his show a couple times. Interesting dude.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    The recording is kinda shitty because 1980, but this video of the Navy Band playing Joe’s Garage for Frank is one of my favorites because he’s not “in character” like in most of his media appearances.

Also, if there’s ever live music again I highly recommend catching one of Dweezil’s Zappa plays Zappa shows if he comes to your town. I’ve seen them twice and both shows were fantastic. Ray White (one of the guys who did lead vocals on quite a few Zappa tunes) including The Legend of the Illinois Enema bandit was playing with them on his first tour which was really cool.

His catalogue is huge with a wide variety of music and I really dig his Orchestral and Jazz compositions too. Outrage at Valdez is a masterpiece,

im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Suzy Creamcheese!

Phi Zappa Krappa!
    Suzy Creamcheese, honey, what's got into ya?

Zappa Thread

I listen to Joe’s Garage through several times a year, and have since I checked it out of the Waterloo Public Library on vinyl in 1986. It seriously fucked me up, and it is one of my three desert island records.

Just today I used the word ‘unconcho’ with a colleague.
    Last edited by JAD; 12-09-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Attended three live Frank Zappa performances (1982-85 period)and a couple of speaking engagements.

He *was* all that. It was fascinating to follow where he'd go with the guitar improvisations; he was like the dark-matter equivalent of Jerry Garcia, minus all the clams, and with a laser focus.
    The young Steve Vai was a great musical foil for Frank, and the rhythm section of Chad Wackerman and Scott Thunes* were impossibly tight. The whole band was, really.

Grace Slick called FZ "The most intelligent asshole I have ever met."

I look forward to the documentary.

*Supposedly the Lord's Own a-hole himself, but a good bandleader.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List