Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M'Bogo

M'Bogo

Name:  MBogo_AllVanged.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  25.3 KB

This is my very favorite shotgun in its most current configuration. It started out as a police trade-in 870 Magnum that I got for cheap. I used it for a few years as my 'QA' gun, where I'd test out new gear/configurations to see if I wanted to incorporate them on my primary defensive 870. Eventually I decided to SBS it and play around with short barrel ideas around 2016 or so. Of course, I took it to Vang Comp to do their barrel work, and talked to them about a specific iron sight idea I had. My idea had merit, but my implementation was going to be economically infeasible, so their lead gunsmith GT came up with an alternative that used modified COTS parts. He inlet an express rifle rear sight into a vent rib bbl, cut the bbl to 14", installed an XS regular dot up front, and milled a giant U-notch out of the fixed leaf of the rear. Then he milled a tighter semi-aperture into the flip-up leaf and zeroed it for Federal Tru-Ball slugs @ 50 yards. The wings of the U-notch look kind of like horns, and given the rear sight was intended for a big-bore African stopping rifle, we dubbed the concept "M'Bogo", the Swahili word for Cape buffalo.

The barrel has had Vang's signature internal work to reduce pattern size, though I opted not to have it ported given my big hands and their proximity to said ports on a 14" tube. I also added Vang's big dome safety and stainless mag follower, Magpul's excellent SGA stock, a GG&G sling plate behind the receiver (which necessitated a custom-length stock bolt) and a BFG padded Vickers sling. I initially had a factory polymer corncob forend and an Aridus Q-DC sidesaddle on her, along with a Wilson/Scattergun +1 extension. I swapped out the forend for a Hogue, and noticed that unless I was meticulous about hand placement, I could butt my big hand up against the Q-DC and short-stroke the gun, which had never happened before with the corncob. That made me swap the otherwise excellent Aridus unit out for a Vang velcro sidesaddle instead, and the issue was resolved. Most recently, I swapped the Wilson +1 out for a Vang +1 just to keep the gun as Vang as possible (the Wilson will get used on another project I'm working on).

This particular photo was taken by Cody Stewart at Vang's last month, because I want to keep a photographic record of how this gun changes over time. Words can't really express how much I adore this gauge. It fits me like a glove, it runs like a scalded-ass ape, and it does everything I want a shotgun to do. The vent rib brings my eye to the sights and looks badass too.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

She's a beauty!

I live in a state where I can have a SBR or a can but not a SBS. I really want something similar to what you have. In the early 1990s my department sent all our shotgun to Hans to have the worked over. I got to talk to him a few times and he was a gentleman of the highest order!

Do you have a close up picture of the sights?

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I live in a state where I can have a SBR or a can but not a SBS. I really want something similar to what you have. In the early 1990s my department sent all our shotgun to Hans to have the worked over. I got to talk to him a few times and he was a gentleman of the highest order!

Do you have a close up picture of the sights?
    I have some gawd-awful cell phone pics from when I first got her. I am... not the world's best photographer.

Leaf down:
    Name:  Mbogo_14inch870_SightsDownRear_S.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  49.6 KB

Leaf up:
    Name:  Mbogo_14inch870_SightsUpRear_S.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  22.8 KB

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    NFA type naughty weapons are not supposed to be attractive. THAT is a fine looking shotgun even without a French walnut stock, engraving or deep blue finish.

What do you think of the Magpul 870 forend as opposed to the ones you used on M’Bogo?

You are detracting from my charitable contributions.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    NFA type naughty weapons are not supposed to be attractive. THAT is a fine looking shotgun even without a French walnut stock, engraving or deep blue finish.
    I love me some gorgeous wood and steel on a gauge, but there's also something beautiful about a purely functional gun with some honest wear on it

What do you think of the Magpul 870 forend as opposed to the ones you used on M’Bogo?
    I generally don't care for them, at least not as they come from the factory. They're too slick (although you can have them stippled or add skateboard tape which rectifies that), and I don't like the handstop flanges at either end (though I suppose you can dremel those off if you wanted to). I think if they made one with molded-in texture (or better yet, a MOE+ version with rubberized coating), it'd be a perfectly serviceable forend, but I just prefer the rounded contours of a traditional-pattern forend and the rubberized texture of the Hogue gives me all the grippiness I want without wearing out my hands/gloves. That said, they're typical Magpul quality, i.e. well made with good QC, so if they work for your hands/grip, then by all means drive on. They're also the easiest way to mount a light on a gauge and keep the weight down.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

I love me some gorgeous wood and steel on a gauge, but there's also something beautiful about a purely functional gun with some honest wear on it
    Well I was shooting my M3K with a Magpul stock adapted to it today and your photo pushed me into buying a set for my 20” semi social 870. If the forend doesn’t work for me I’ll look into the Hogue option.

Well I was shooting my M3K with a Magpul stock adapted to it today and your photo pushed me into buying a set for my 20” semi social 870. If the forend doesn’t work for me I’ll look into the Hogue option.
    If it doesn't, well, you still got the best shotgun stock I've ever used, and I'm sure there will be no shortage of people willing to buy the forend off you.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

I love it. What does that exact barrel set-up cost?

User Tag List