Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current state of 12 gauge pump actions

Current state of 12 gauge pump actions

A little more narrow focus than just shotguns in general...

I'm wanting a 12 gauge for home defense. Would like to be all in for around $500.

I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one of the 870Ps from summit gun broker. I've found new 870 express tacticals for around $320, and with a current $50 rebate that's tempting.

I'd prefer an 870 to a mossberg, but if new 870s are turds and I can't find a used 870P/wing master in a reasonable time, then I'd be open to a 590. Standard bead sights are fine for what I'm looking for here.

Thoughts? What's the easiest way to get a quality weapon in this case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Just watch Gunbroker for a couple of weeks. You should be able to get a used 870P or old Wingmaster for close to the Summit price.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

My limited experience with NEW 870 shotguns has been less than stellar. Perhaps I have been unlucky, but the last three NIB ones I examined had issues, some cosmetic and some functional. I was also told of one, but did not see it, that had the left shell latch not staked. Not a bad stake, but looks like it never was staked.

Just keep watching Summit Gun Broker as Mark usually gets new batches of LE trade-in 870 guns several times a year.

I wouldn't buy a new Mossberg or Remington...

Either dig around for a used 870p or buy an old beater pawn shop 870 and send it into Wilson for the Remington Steal deal... So many guns that used to be a solid bet just suck now... It really pisses me off.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 09-08-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I wouldn't buy a new Mossberg or Remington...

Either dig around for a used 870p or buy an old beater pawn shop 870 and send it into Wilson for the Remington Steal deal... So many guns that used to be a solid bet just suck now... It really pisses me off.
    I will admit I haven't spent a lot of time researching this, but it does seem like the new pump action market kind of sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I will admit I haven't spent a lot of time researching this, but it does seem like the new pump action market kind of sucks?

The new ones I have looked at have been a little rough.

One of the biggest issues for both Mossberg and Remington is that they are competing against used examples of their own product. If you walk into any reasonably well stocked gun store that carries used shotguns, you'll find at least a few used 500's and 870's, many of them from an era when they actually paid people to do that last 10% to 15% of effort to finish them nicely.

It's very much the situation that Winchester found itself in regarding the 94. New ones commanded stupid money, and many examples were a little sloppy. You could walk over to the used rack and find a slightly worn example for a fraction of the price.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

How are the Benelli Nova pumps?

I wouldn't buy any new Remington product. My 15-20 year old 870 Express still rusts if you look at it wrong, so I'm not sure that age has much to do with it, but I've never owned a Police or Wingmaster.

I got a 590a1 not long ago and I'm extremely happy with it. Other than a few posts over in the 590a1 thread, I've never seen anything to indicate new production Mossbergs aren't good to go. I don't buy hundreds of shotguns though.

So my answer would be a new 500, 590, or 590a1 depending on your preferences. If you want to avoid Remmy or Mossberg, I'd be asking the same question as the poster above me, how are the Benelli Novas.

I've had great use of newer 590A1's in 18.5 and 20' config. Tried a new 870 tactical last year and while I liked the shotgun setup it had a horrible action. I'd go with well used 870 or a 590A1 from any year.

I've got a current manufacture 18.5" 590 that is great. Had an 870 express tactical before it and the barrel finish was terrible.

User Tag List