Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are CVT transmissions (Honda) to be avoided?

Are CVT transmissions (Honda) to be avoided?

I need a to get a car for my daughter as she will be entering the clinical phase of he grad work. Her campus is 500 miles from home so I want something reliable. My family has had very good luck with Honda automobiles. My son is currently driving a 2003 Honda Civic we have owned from day 1 and it has been nearly flawless. My daughter wants a small car. Currently I'm looking at and for a late model Civic. I see many (or all?) have CVT transmissions. I would like to keep the cost below $19-20K. Also willing to look at Accords, Camrys and Corollas.

My cousin has a Nissan mini-van with a shot CVT transmission. I hear Nissans are known for problems with their CVTs. My daughter drives like "the little old lady from Pasadena" so I'm not worries about stress from a street racer.

I've seen things online saying CVTs last 5 years or 100K. Other things that say you can't treat them like a standard automatic and do 300K in the car without ever changing the ATF. Then I've seen articles saying the technology has matured and CVTs are more reliable and Honda & Toyota have good versions.

Dealer near me has a 2018 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN EX CVT that is spotless with 15.5K miles Carfax is clean, single owner for $17K. I only question the CVT. What are your thoughts?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I've heard Honda had issues with their CVTs that required a recall. Not sure if they're any better now but that would be enough to make me stay away. I ruled out Honda entirely because of this when I went car shopping a couple years ago. Ended up with a Mazda because they still put (rather nice) auto/manual transmissions in all of their vehicles.

Don't know if other companies have had similar problems with CVTs. I dislike them because they feel weird vs. a good automatic transmission, but I'm sure someone here knows more about this than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I've heard Honda had issues with their CVTs that required a recall. Not sure if they're any better now but that would be enough to make me stay away. I ruled out Honda entirely because of this when I went car shopping a couple years ago. Ended up with a Mazda because they still put (rather nice) auto/manual transmissions in all of their vehicles.

Don't know if other companies have had similar problems with CVTs. I dislike them because they feel weird vs. a good automatic transmission, but I'm sure someone here knows more about this than me.
    Searched the VIN on safercar.gov and found no open recalls.

Found this: Honda issued Technical Service Bulleting 16-053 on August 3, 2016. It applies to 2015-16 Accord (L4 with CVT) and 2015-16 CR-V (ALL with CVT)

Our family car is a Honda CR-V with the CVT, and it's been solid for 4 years now including some long range road trips. I do keep up with Honda's regular maintenance schedule so I don't worry about it.

I have a 2015 CR-V AWD with a CVT. It was always serviced by the dealer during the original and Honda-brand extended warranty, they did any TSBs that came up. I’m standing at around 128k right now.

At around 97k I had them do a programmed CVT service. 100k the Honda extended warranty expired. At 102k I had a total CVT failure, and neither Honda nor the dealer would do shit for me. I ended up having a low mileage trans installed (from a wreck) by a local shop, it was half the price of what Honda wanted - but still $4k. It seems ok now, but I don’t really trust it. The shop looked over the failed trans and didn’t see any evidence that the failure was caused by the service - fluid level and condition was good, and all the filters and seals were correct.

My plan is to sell it once I’m in NH full time and replace it with something else. It may well be another CR-V, I think my experience was unusual.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have a 2015 CRV purchased new in March 2016. I used it for 2.5 years for outside sales work covering a territory from Kingsport, TN to Macon, GA, so regular mountain driving. It's still my daily driver with 135K on it. Not a moment's trouble. Mine is the 2WD version, but I use it for deer hunting and camping and have never had an issue. Always Dealer maintained and up-to-date with all recommended maintenance.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm claiming no expertise. I am not an engineer nor am I anyone you should listen to. I *personally* would not buy a CVT equipped vehicle as the design does not lend itself to longevity in high power/high load situations. Note that any modern vehicle is 'high power' compared to what the CVT concept was originally used for. The belt has to be under enormous tension to not allow slippage and the belt is a wear item. The sound and driving experience is also different, and not in a better way IMO. If you view a car strictly as an appliance and are likely to get rid of it before big maintenance bills come due that might not concern you. Manufacturers like them because they increase the fuel economy and are simpler to manufacture. I'm not sure consumers benefit.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

500 miles is a long trip in a small car. Personally Id prefer something larger from a safety standpoint. You can pick up a touring Mazda CX5 2017 with less than 30000 for aprox same price. We bought one earlier this year and it came with bumper to bumper for a year and 7 year 100,000 power train. Plus if you want to finance they had low rates. It has a standard shift auto transmission and is CR #1 pick in that class.
    Not sure if this is helpful just throwing that out there.
    ETA This is through mazda not a second party.
    Still in play https://www.mazdausa.com/certified-pre-owned
    Last edited by UNK; 12-09-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Honda's quality has dropped off in recent years. Many issues with CVTs, but also other vehicles. A have a friend with an Odyssey that has had issue after issue. They can't wait to sell it when their oldest finally goes to college.

I'll second the CX5 recommendation. That engine/transmission has been in production since ~2014 and Mazda was at the top of CRs list this year for reliability.

Site Supporter
    My wife is approaching 60K on a Nissan Rogue with no CVT issues.

User Tag List