Thread: Week 401: Five Tries

Week 401: Five Tries

Week 401: Five Tries

Results may be posted until January 4th, 2021.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: Shooter's choice, see below
    Target: Shooter's choice, see below
    Start Position: Holstered or ready, see below
    Rounds Fired: Up to 5

This is a challenge drill. Shooter picks the target, distance, and start position (holstered or ready.) There is no time limit and the drill is shot freestyle. The shooter gets five shots/attempts to hit their choice of target at their choice of distance. Pick a shot that is challenging, but makeable. You could shoot a piece of string at 25 yards, or something else creative.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun, holster and concealment (optional), or ready position start
    Target
    Distance
    Hit or miss
    Total number of rounds fired
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

S&W 617 with vortex venom on an raptor engineering mount
    8"steel
    50 yards
    Sho
    2nd round hit

It was easier than i expected. If i get out again before the end of the year I'll setup on the rifle range and try further. This setup is stupid easy to shoot. A buddy that I've been working with, who could hardly hit a b8 at 10 yards 3 weeks ago, had a second round freestyle hit on the plate at 50. Dot/rimfire wheelgun is a delight.

Last edited by backtrail540; 12-13-2020 at 03:43 PM.

S&W 617 with vortex venom on an raptor engineering mount
    3x5 card
    50 yards
    Freestyle
    3rd round hit

Since the 8" sho @ 50 was fairly easy, I decided to go for a 3x5 freestyle from the same spot. Didn't have him do video on this since we had to walk up to the target to check hits each time. First was just a touch outside, then about an inch high and right, but the third round found home. Again, easier than I anticipated. The gun pretty much does all the work for you.

round 1

round 2

Hit

I struggle with B-8s past 20 yards so I decided to try a horizontal 3x5 card at 30. First shot went a few inches high and I connected on the second one.

(Langdon PX4CC.)

S&W 617 w/ vortex dot

Freestyle from the ready on a 8" steel at 100ish yards (100 yard range but I recall lasering it once and it was a yard or so shy from the bench, if my memory serves me right)

2nd round hit

I held just above the plate, the dot just outside of being tangent with the top edge of the plate. Then tried sho but to no avail. I got a video but it was off the cuff and I struggled to find a resting place for my phone - attempting to get both myself and the plate in the frame and ended up getting neither but you can at least hear the hit. The plate is on the far left lane.

User Tag List