Thread: question on drawing the weapon

question on drawing the weapon

I have a question regarding proper weapon presentation from the holster. My draw looks more like an L or right angle transition from up out of the holster and then straight towards the target. Basically I draw the weapon straight up until it's cleared the holster, then drop my elbow which rotates it up to basically eye level, support hand comes in and I drive it straight towards my target. Sort of like the pistol-forum.com logo following the outside edge.

What I've read and in some cases seen demonstrated doesn't agree with my presentation. I'm speaking of the 5 step draw outlined in several texts and online videos etc. While I understand that draw technique and see it's merits for some shooters it doesn't get the weapon up high enough for me to pick up the front site as fast as I need to to make that first shot as fast as possible and to make that first shot hit my target. I need that extra 6-12 inches of being able to see the gun and front site moving towards the target to make sure the sites are properly aligned once I need to break the shot.

Is this poor technique or just a case of one size not fitting all?

I'm guessing that your draw looks a lot like mine, actually. Here's an example of the "upside down L" that I think you're talking about.

Todd also has some great videos on his site of his draw stroke - the goal with the press out is to get the gun up into your workspace as fast as possible and then drive it to the target while taking the slack out of the trigger.

My drawstroke is very much an "L" shape also, and I've not had any trouble with it. I've known others with different strokes that have been quite comfortable with theirs. IMO as long as it is safe and you are comfortable with it you should be OK. To use the cliche, "different strokes for different folks."
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    while taking the slack out of the trigger.
    Just to clarify: It's not just taking up the slack on the press-out. You're taking up the slack, while your sights are on target, moving to full extension.

Last edited by JV_; 03-18-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Caleb that's very close to what I'm doing, the only diference being that I'm bringing the pistol up to eye level much closer to my face but it's almost the same draw stroke you look to be using. It appears to work quite well for you.

One difference that may be costing me time/speed is when I drop my elbow the pistol rotates and comes into my field of view pointed upward with the front site almost in front of my master eye. Would it be faster to keep the gun more level? I notice you drive the gun forward as it comes level in your draw where I don't drive it forward until I see the front site. That lets me track it all the way as the pistol moves forward and gives me more time to align the rear sight with the front.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Just to clarify: It's not just taking up the slack on the press-out. You're taking up the slack, while your sights are on target, moving to full extension.
    Agreed. Although I've now seen two different types of press-outs. The first one is the one that whips the gun into your eyeline as fast as possible, and the second is where the gun rises from the center of your chest on a slight angle towards the target.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    and the second is where the gun rises from the center of your chest on a slight angle towards the target.
    I've done both. I'm uncomfortable taking up the slack unless I know I'm on target (good enough sight alignment). Keep in mind that I don't have any training in close up techniques.
    Last edited by JV_; 03-18-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: too many edits ... extra words removed

That I totally get. Obviously, I use more of a slightly angled press-out; and I've had over-preps on the range during the press-out without having my sights "really" aligned on the target. I'll get hits on the paper when that happens, but not much better.

Basically I draw the weapon straight up until it's cleared the holster, then drop my elbow which rotates it up to basically eye level, support hand comes in and I drive it straight towards my target
    Without actually seeing your presentation I can tell you that generally dropping your elbow as you table the gun into the horizontal line of extension will actually lower the height of the gun. This in turn causes you to have a zig zag instead of a straight line which actually causes you to get on the sights later instead of earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Without actually seeing your presentation I can tell you that generally dropping your elbow as you table the gun into the horizontal line of extension will actually lower the height of the gun. This in turn causes you to have a zig zag instead of a straight line which actually causes you to get on the sights later instead of earlier.
    Maybe dropping my elbow is a poor descrition, it's more of a rotation once I've reached the maximum height of my draw from the holster, but my elbow does rotate downward which brings the pistol up into my line of sight. Should it stay up? extended behind my shoulder?

Not being able to watch it is a distinct handicap but asking my wife to capture it just isn't worth the eye rolling and comments...

User Tag List