Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun Rinella Interview

Hammertime

Fun Rinella Interview

I am a fan of Steve Rinella after reading American Buffalo.

This interview on his new book was fun and I think I will ask for it for Christmas.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000500126857

I am definitely the target for the book. Decent hiker. Maybe more experienced than the typical city boy at camping, but a city boy none the less, wannabe hunter.

The MeatEater Guide to Wilderness Skills and Survival https://www.amazon.com/dp/0593129695...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I enjoyed American Buffalo and am looking forward to the new book as well.
    #RESIST

He's been on Joe Rogan's podcast several times. Always worth a listen especially if you're stuck in the car on a long drive.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

This interview on his new book was fun and I think I will ask for it for Christmas.

I am definitely the target for the book. Decent hiker. Maybe more experienced than the typical city boy at camping, but a city boy none the less, wannabe hunter.

The MeatEater Guide to Wilderness Skills and Survival https://www.amazon.com/dp/0593129695...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Steve's book will no doubt be excellent. Other survival books that I have recommended to people are Cody Lundin's 98.6 and Les Stroud's Survive!. Many folks recommend Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft book, but I don't think it's a good book to start with, as it's more focused toward wilderness living in an arboreal forest, vs. short term survival.

I also highly recommend Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. If you inculcate some of the lessons in that book, you'll never need the others.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I always think Bushcraft is interesting...but it's so specific to the northern forests, with the sections about looking for black spruce to sleep under or whatever, that very little applies to me here on the coast. I like it but I agree, it's not really a survival manual.

And some of the advice is kind of weird. Excluding oxygen from cuts, does that actually do anything? The only doctor I ever asked was like...what? Or testing knife strength by hammering it into a tree and standing on it?

I'm sure the author is perfectly aware that his techniques are specific to his region but I always think of him talking about staying dry in the rain just by standing in front of a fire wearing wool socks and turning around and around like a rotisserie chicken and how the first time I read that I had just come back from spending a bunch of time in the bush around Cape Scott, in February.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 09.31.39.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  28.0 KB

Unless the fire you had to stand next to was the actual sun, it wouldn't have done much for that rain, which was often like standing in a cold shower. I know he wouldn't have said any different, it's not a critique of the idea, just an illustration of how location-specific it is.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    I very much enjoy both Steve's Meateater show and podcast. I'm actually listening to the latest podcast episode now.

I’m absolutely not his target audience but still enjoy his podcasts, interviews and TV shows. His wider perspective on nature is always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I always think Bushcraft is interesting...but it's so specific to the northern forests, with the sections about looking for black spruce to sleep under or whatever, that very little applies to me here on the coast. I like it but I agree, it's not really a survival manual.

And some of the advice is kind of weird. Excluding oxygen from cuts, does that actually do anything? The only doctor I ever asked was like...what? Or testing knife strength by hammering it into a tree and standing on it?

I'm sure the author is perfectly aware that his techniques are specific to his region but I always think of him talking about staying dry in the rain just by standing in front of a fire wearing wool socks and turning around and around like a rotisserie chicken and how the first time I read that I had just come back from spending a bunch of time in the bush around Cape Scott, in February.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 09.31.39.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  28.0 KB

Unless the fire you had to stand next to was the actual sun, it wouldn't have done much for that rain, which was often like standing in a cold shower. I know he wouldn't have said any different, it's not a critique of the idea, just an illustration of how location-specific it is.
    Yup. The problem with that book is that the guys on many of the Bushcraft™ forums use it, and the Horace Kephart and George Washington Sears books as a modern guide of how to move through the woods, regardless of location. Hence all the waxed canvas, and wool and shit.

I was teaching some classes pre-COVID, and one of the first things I would tell people was "From October to May in the Pacific Northwest, if your overnight survival plan requires a fire, your plan sucks."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

That was a great podcast. His words on hypothermia were fascinating. For example, how the warm blood in the core of people at the end stage of hypothermia rushes out to the extremities creating a sensation of being super hot, thus causing many victims to shed off their clothing, essentially just before their death. Damn.

The availability of things like OnX software to more or less guarantee you never get lost in the wilderness again, and satellite enabled text services was new to me.

Also, his explanation of how freeze dried food is produced was cool. I didn't know, for example that Mountain House is the civilian side of Oregon Freeze Dried, a long standing government provider.

Good stuff.

I go back and forth on Steve's stuff. I love pretty much all his stuff on cooking, bushcraft etc.. When he strays into Alaskan politics on resource development vs. hunting I start to get a little strained. I (an thousands of Alaskan hunters) believe they can co-exist and Steve has taken a stand in certain areas they cannot.

User Tag List