Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: <$250 Windows-based laptop for old lady

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    How gullible is she? "THis 'chrome' is the latest version of windows, you'll love it!"
    I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t already thinking that.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    BTW, I already know that the "right" answer is a Chromebook, but that's not going to be acceptable because of various hurdles that aren't really worth my time to try and explain, let alone actually fight about at home.
    Tech hurdles or family? If tech, please clue me in.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Price range is too low. In that range your getting a chromebook, with Windows OS on it. (not a good mix)
    Not good because?

I may not be in Rob's boat, but I'm close. Wife uses an ancient iPad to look at the net and pay bills. No pics, no docs, no games. She would like a replacement, but has soured on the iPad (probably not for any real reason).
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Decently rated $219 Chromebook:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/la...g-chromebook-3

I’ve never so much as touched one tho. They run ChromeOS, a flavor of Linux right? Maybe I should get one to play with if my Dell e6530 Mint Box croaks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Decently rated $219 Chromebook:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/la...g-chromebook-3

I’ve never so much as touched one tho. They run ChromeOS, a flavor of Linux right? Maybe I should get one to play with if my Dell e6530 Mint Box croaks.
    I bought a Chromebook this summer as a lite duty travel and drag around the house computer. It's based on Linux, but isn't Linux on the surface. It does have a Linux subsystem you can enable where many Linux apps can run (some better than others for various reasons). It'll also run Android apps. The end result is I can do most of what I'd want to do with a laptop if I only had this one device, but not necessarily with the traditional Windows or Linux apps.

Mine is a CTL VX11, which is oriented towards students, so it's drop-resistant and spill-resistant. I thought that would be a good feature set for a laptop that is going to be dragged around. It also charges via USB-C, meaning I can use a phone charger (at a slower rate) or use its charger to charge my phone.

ETA: The only thing I don't like is that it lacks a traditional right mouse button. You either press ALT while clicking to get your right-click or you use a three finger tap on the touch pad. I've gotten used to the 3-finger method. This is a "feature" specific to this model and not a general Chromebook thing.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Tech hurdles or family? If tech, please clue me in.
    The main hurdles are that people who know even less than I do about this shit have already come up with a set of parameters that is destined to fail because it's based on (at best) outdated memories (as someone else mentioned, if they liked windows 2000 and Office '95 then that's irrelevant to today) and at worst shear ignorance ("google docs is too hard").
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Something like this:

Lenovo ThinkPad T450.8.180.Pro 14" Refurbished Ultrabook Laptop, Intel i5, 8GB Memory, Windows 10 Professional

https://www.staples.com/lenovo-think...oduct_24422887

I have purchased refurbished laptops from Staples before, without issues.

So I'm poking the bear and trying to make the argument for the Chromebook. My arguments for it are (1) it's designed for what we're trying to do, (2) we can get a "better" machine than a similarly priced windows machine, (3) Windows doesn't look like it did 10 years ago anyway (4) neither does Word, and (5) the kids already know Chromebook so they can help teach her.

All that said, and despite having previously said "no chromebooks" earlier in this thread, somebody send me a link to a decent Chromebook <$300 with a 14-15" screen that's in-stock so I can click "buy" and be done!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    T
    Not good because?

I may not be in Rob's boat, but I'm close. Wife uses an ancient iPad to look at the net and pay bills. No pics, no docs, no games. She would like a replacement, but has soured on the iPad (probably not for any real reason).
    They tend to be very limited and push Windows with their online stuff (online office, etc), with no real storage room for using them offline. They also tend to use lower powered CPU's and have soldered on memory/storage. (built as a throwaway)
    I would be much more apt to get her a used desktop and spend that money on a monitor, then buy one of these.
    Refurbs are a whole other deal. Some people get them and their great, others I have heard/known, tried and ended up with ones with horrible battery life. (kind of why you would want a laptop)

I have a couple of Windows machines, but they are work computers. For my online surfing, word processing, email etc. I do get away with a several year old Lenovo EDU series that is a glorified netbook, that I upgraded the storage (500gb) and the memory to 8gb and run Linux by choice.
    One of my Windows machines, is an 8 gen I5, with a less then 1080P resolution that I found a deal on at a damaged freight store (new), and have $300 into it with an upgrade to 12gb of memory. I have never seen another deal like that and it has paid for itself in dealing with the tax and estate issues as well as organizing all the information that came from a floor/trash can/disappeared, filing system of diabetic inattentive/rather play with their toys, owners. A comparable laptop, is around the $500 mark. I would find out if she has a place of preference to shop, and give her a gift card/cash/prepaid visa/etc. toward HER choice of laptop. That way she can upgrade, AND you will not be the one who bought it/tech support for life guy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So I'm poking the bear and trying to make the argument for the Chromebook. My arguments for it are (1) it's designed for what we're trying to do, (2) we can get a "better" machine than a similarly priced windows machine, (3) Windows doesn't look like it did 10 years ago anyway (4) neither does Word, and (5) the kids already know Chromebook so they can help teach her.

All that said, and despite having previously said "no chromebooks" earlier in this thread, somebody send me a link to a decent Chromebook <$300 with a 14-15" screen that's in-stock so I can click "buy" and be done!
    You might also add that the user can install and use Android-based smartphone apps. If she uses an Android phone, she could load some of the same apps on her Chromebook.

FWIW, my mom, at my brother's insistence, uses a Chromebook instead of a Windows machine for day-to-day tasks. She is NOT the slightest bit tech-oriented and even struggles with a smartphone. She gets along just fine with ChromeOS. For what that one data point is worth...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    You might also add that the user can install and use Android-based smartphone apps. If she uses an Android phone, she could load some of the same apps on her Chromebook.

FWIW, my mom, at my brother's insistence, uses a Chromebook instead of a Windows machine for day-to-day tasks. She is NOT the slightest bit tech-oriented and even struggles with a smartphone. She gets along just fine with ChromeOS. For what that one data point is worth...

Chris
    She's on an iPhone.

I honestly would much prefer that we just get her a keyboard for the fucking iPad over all the rest of this nonsense, and that would probably solve the problem better than anything else.

User Tag List