Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: <$250 Windows-based laptop for old lady

RFI: <$250 Windows-based laptop for old lady

Wife told me last night that the MIL would like a laptop for Xmas. I think she'd be a prime candidate for a Chromebook but wife says her mom is used to windows so that's the direction we're heading. Not looking for a mac or any other OS. Gotta be Windows.

So I start googling around this morning. There are a *ton* of options out there now in this $200-250 price range. Most seem to have Celeron processors (which is fine by me) and not a lot of RAM (which also should be fine) and flash-based storage? (I think I'm ok with this, just get her an external hard drive, and/or a really big SD card, right?)

My question is, does anyone have a specific recommendation? As far as I know she wants it for emails and other things where typing on her ipad isn't ideal. No, I'm not going to just get her an iPad keyboard. I think she also wants MS Word, and she might even know how to use or want to use Excel. No, apparently using Google Docs/Drive isn't an option there either. So I'm budgeting for needing a "home use" O365 license here as well. Probably want a 14-15.5" screen I'd think. Not a 10/11".

Links to a particular product, or advice on criteria I may be missing appreciated.

It appears I'm not the only one shopping this as a LOT of the items I'm finding are out of stock until after Xmas, which also doesn't do me much good.

ETA:
    here's one example I'm considering. Brand I'm familiar with, screen is larger (which seems to me to be good for an older person)
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15...?skuId=6444337
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Coincidentally, I'm looking for the same thing, for children instead of parents.

Site Supporter
    The laptop in the OP has a couple issues in my mind:
    First, I hate hate hate the number pad on the right side because it shifts the keyboard over relative to the screen.
    Second, the 64gb storage is pretty tiny after you get Windows and your apps installed.
    Third, the processor is pretty weak. It's probably fine for a Chromebook, but may struggle with Windows after a year's worth of updates and bit rot.
    Finally, Windows S is MS' response to ChromeOS. It's fine for ChromeOS-like activities, but could be limiting unless you only run MS-qualified apps.

Chris

What is MIL using now?

What does she like about it? Not like?

Any need to xfer data/files/pictures "to" the new laptop? If so, how much data are we talking about?

Refurbed Thinkpad, if you’re willing to spend up a bit, and she won’t be put off by a 13.3” screen and it not being new:

http://www.amazon.com/refurbished-la...33&s=pc&sr=1-9

RAM is easily upgraded, if 4GB doesn’t do it. I find it easy to spend other people’s money, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    What is MIL using now?
    ipad

What does she like about it? Not like?
    she likes facebook
    she dislikes a lack of physical keyboard, screen size, and no MS Word (and she's not interested in learning anything new)

Any need to xfer data/files/pictures "to" the new laptop? If so, how much data are we talking about?
    I don't believe so, but who knows. Right now any/all of that stuff (pretty much just pictures is my guess) is on the iPad/iCloud and I can take care of putting it all onto an external drive if need be.

BTW, I already know that the "right" answer is a Chromebook, but that's not going to be acceptable because of various hurdles that aren't really worth my time to try and explain, let alone actually fight about at home.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

When my house desktop died a few years ago I needed a replacement pretty quickly and went to Costco and bought a $400 HP laptop. Later I wanted to get something for a daughter to use at college and went the ebay route and ended up with two Dell latitude 7450's for not much more that that HP laptop. Bought from "dell-official-store-usa-refurbished". A quick look shows that they have nothing for sale right now. The Latitude's are business class laptops and the HP model I got is a consumer class laptop. World of difference, I hate that HP laptop. Wish I had gotten the Latitudes much earlier. Every manufacturer makes business class laptops, doesn't have to be Dell.

The only problem with buying used right now is the supply is limited and demand is high because of all the at home teaching going on.

For $250, I wouldn't even look at new. Look around locally (FB Marketplace, craigslist, et al) and perhaps you find a good used business class laptop.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    For $250, I wouldn't even look at new. Look around locally (FB Marketplace, craigslist, et al) and perhaps you find a good used business class laptop.
    I've stopped buying used... well shit pretty much everything. I'm unwilling to invest the time in the shopping experience, I live in a boarderline third world country that polutes the shit out of the listings and further consumes/wastes time, and I just kept getting used items that came with someone else's baggage that left me kicking myself that I should have bought new.

Site Supporter
    Also, what version of Word. My mother to this day doesn't understand why we can't get her a copy of word like she had at work before she retired. Which was either Office XP or Office 97. I can't even get her to try to learn a new UI.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Also, what version of Word. My mother to this day doesn't understand why we can't get her a copy of word like she had at work before she retired. Which was either Office XP or Office 97. I can't even get her to try to learn a new UI.
    I'm definitely concerned about that. I keep hearing "she's familiar with Word from when she worked" which was 10+ years ago and she's going to have to completely re-learn Word anyway!

What I don't want to do is go through all of this and spend $300 on a paperweight because nobody making the decisions knows what they are talking about.

User Tag List