Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Long range shooting for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I traded into a Razor Gen2 4.5-27x. Holy F*ck this thing is huge. My only real dabble into precision shooting was with a GAP Rock over a dozen years ago, and all it had was a Mk4 10X. In comparison, this thing is incredible.

I don't have a suitable rifle to put it on, and I probably will have other firearm related purchases to prioritize after this week's political developments. but the first step into the rabbit hole had been taken. I guess we will see where it leads
    I have seen 22 long rifles with a Nightforce ATACR on top, so I don't think anything is unsuitable. You can put it on an AR and get some good practice in using match ammo.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

theJanitor, I think my experience is similar to yours. I had a Remington 700 PSS with a MK 4 10x for a long time. I sold it last year to get more modern. Newer guns are magazine-fed bolt guns with suppressors or muzzle brakes. Many are in chassis vs stocks now. Caliber has moved from .308 to 6.5. And optics are high-power variables. I didn’t jump into the nicer optics yet. I bought a Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 and it hasn’t held me back yet as I am still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I have seen 22 long rifles with a Nightforce ATACR on top, so I don't think anything is unsuitable. You can put it on an AR and get some good practice in using match ammo.
    I mounted it on my socom and now hate my mil-spec trigger that I’ve always been indifferent to. Lol

I don't own any Rim Fire Only Scopes, so all my scopes could go on any one of my rifles. How they effect weight and balance, what ring heights are needed etc. are the real factors as well as what I am shooting. If I am really concerned about mirage, then for sure a wide variable so I can crank it to a lower magnification if the mirage is really bad.

Yes, Chassis are also becoming popular. I use one in F Class for 800 and 1,000 yard and have another one that I use in Palma Class.

BobName:  .308 CHASSIS.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  55.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I traded into a Razor Gen2 4.5-27x. Holy F*ck this thing is huge. My only real dabble into precision shooting was with a GAP Rock over a dozen years ago, and all it had was a Mk4 10X. In comparison, this thing is incredible.

I don't have a suitable rifle to put it on, and I probably will have other firearm related purchases to prioritize after this week's political developments. but the first step into the rabbit hole had been taken. I guess we will see where it leads
    Awesome!! I think you’ll be enamored with it. There’s a reason it’s literally the most popular scope in the world right now. I’m pretty certain that’s the way I’m going except I’m looking at the 3-18 since I’m on the E Coast and won’t be stretching much past 300 meters or so. @CS Tactical quoted me a very competitive price; if he had what I wanted in stock, I would have bought it then. I still may call him back re the 4.5-27.

As to the rifle, I’m looking at a Tikka CTR in a KRG chassis unless euro optic has the TAC-1 for sale again. Right now, I can’t find it anywhere in stock. I feel like you won’t do any better than that combination until you get a custom built. Which I’m not since I don’t compete and have access to any longer ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Awesome!! I think you’ll be enamored with it. There’s a reason it’s literally the most popular scope in the world right now. I’m pretty certain that’s the way I’m going except I’m looking at the 3-18 since I’m on the E Coast and won’t be stretching much past 300 meters or so. @CS Tactical quoted me a very competitive price; if he had what I wanted in stock, I would have bought it then. I still may call him back re the 4.5-27.

As to the rifle, I’m looking at a Tikka CTR in a KRG chassis unless euro optic has the TAC-1 for sale again. Right now, I can’t find it anywhere in stock. I feel like you won’t do any better than that combination until you get a custom built. Which I’m not since I don’t compete and have access to any longer ranges.
    I think the difference between the 18X and the 27X is 2 ounces so I would go with the latter. You say 300 yards but someday you'll find a 1000 yard range and wish you had more. 18X@ 1000 is doable with quality glass but more zoom is always nicer.

Also, the Gen III is coming very soon, so watch for the Gen II to start going on sale.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

The lowest power I have on any of my 1,000 yard guns is 8x32 but I prefer 12 x 42 and 15 x 55

Also, the Gen III is coming very soon, so watch for the Gen II to start going on sale.
    EuroOptic had the 5-25 on sale for $700.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    EuroOptic had the 5-25 on sale for $700.
    Are you talking about the PST Gen II 5-25? We are discussing the Razor Gen II 4.5-27 which is double the MAP price.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    I think the difference between the 18X and the 27X is 2 ounces so I would go with the latter. You say 300 yards but someday you'll find a 1000 yard range and wish you had more. 18X@ 1000 is doable with quality glass but more zoom is always nicer.

Not that soon on a razor Gen III if it exists, and the Razor Gen II's came down $500 in price from when they were released so I highly doubt that will change from the current pricing.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List