Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Long range shooting for dummies

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Any of you guys have one really good/expensive optic that you move between rifles?
    I’m buying my next optic with this intent. Right now I’m shopping either the Vortex Razor HD or the Bushnell Pro 3.5-21. Was looking at the 8-powers from Nightforce but reviews have it really finicky wrt the eyebox and noticeable edge distortion. A lot of LE guys swear by the MkV Leupolds as the sweet spot for that company.

After literally years of optic research, I feel like the Vortex Razor is the easy button. Great intersection of pricing and performance. With the PST line/ Bushnell DMRII as a budget option depending on weather you want durability or features as the deciding factor between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’m buying my next optic with this intent. Right now I’m shopping either the Vortex Razor HD or the Bushnell Pro 3.5-21. Was looking at the 8-powers from Nightforce but reviews have it really finicky wrt the eyebox and noticeable edge distortion. A lot of LE guys swear by the MkV Leupolds as the sweet spot for that company.

After literally years of optic research, I feel like the Vortex Razor is the easy button. Great intersection of pricing and performance. With the PST line/ Bushnell DMRII as a budget option depending on weather you want durability or features as the deciding factor between the two.
    This is exactly where I am. I want enough scope that I can put it on anything in the future. XTRiii, DMR pro seem to be equatable. Razor HD seems bombproof, and the service is unquestionable. I'm leaning that was or the MK5/6. Are the MK6's as durable as the MK5? I could make the jump to a used Kahles 6-24

I also thought about getting a single expensive scope to switch among rifles. However, each rifle ended up getting its own scope.
    I would not recommend Razor HD because of its "too smart for its own good" turret system. The inner turret came loose after sitting in the safe and I didn't realize until during shooting the scope wasn't tracking. I mentioned this to an instructor at a precision rifle course and he had the same experience.
    I like and own both MK6 and MK5. I think both of those are great scopes and I would definitely take them over Vortex or Bushnell. The only caveat, is with MK6, try to find the M5C turrets (with a single zero stop). They are little easier and seem to be more favored than the M5B2 (pinch to turn) ones.

Site Supporter
    I have multiple long range rifles - I "standardized" on the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 34mm tube MRAD as I can get it reliably from DVOR for about $610. It is not the "best" scope but it is competent and I have no issues using it to 1200 yards on the rifles that run that far for target work.

Site Supporter
    The Leupolds have a great reputation, especially in the LE/swat community, but for an individual purchase, they feel a little expensive for the features they offer. Competition at their price point is tight. Feels like they updated the outside of the scopes but not the insides. I can’t find a reticle I like (aside from the tremor) either.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have multiple long range rifles - I "standardized" on the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 34mm tube MRAD as I can get it reliably from DVOR for about $610. It is not the "best" scope but it is competent and I have no issues using it to 1200 yards on the rifles that run that far for target work.
    I have one on my 223AI with the SCR MIL reticle, and love that scope. It shoots well above the price point. Many will agree that while it doesn't have top tier glass, it is well built and a good value.

A lot of people rave about the Vortex Razor II but I think they are overpriced for what they are.

I picked up one of the Bushnell XRS II 3.5-30 scopes, with the G3 reticle, from the Midway sale and am liking it so far. The glass is excellent.

Anyone that I know in the PRS/long range game that has put their toes in the Leupold water, moved on to something else. Leupold typically makes scopes that are lighter in weight, with good glass, but they come up short in other areas.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

OK, you guys have a preference for bags? What size/shape? What combos of bags do you prefer? Places to buy them?

I shoot 100/200 yard group Benchrest with a 6PPC. 100/200 Score with a 30BR. 300 Yard Group and Score with a 6mmBR Norma and 60/800 and 1000 yard score and group with a 6mm Dasher and a 6.5x47 Lapua. 100 and 200 RF with a Gordon Eck 2500X build.

If you can make it to central Pennsylvania in early June, "The Original PA 1000 Yard Benchrest Club" holds a long range shooting school. Last year's was canceled, but hopefully it will be run again this year. If you really want to learn the game hands on, it is worth the expense.

Bob White, who is the owner of "The Shooters Corner" and a highly ranked bench rest shooter also holds a Bench Rest Clinic and Seminar in April each year. That is held at Cherry Ridge Gun Club in New Jersey.

To shoot competitive scores in long range bench rest, you have to have the right equipment, the right ammunition, the ability to read and compensate for the weather and the ability to shoot. It can be very challenging.

Bench wise, I use a SEB NEO Rest and Protecktor Rear Bags. This is my primary 1,000 yard BR rifle. 6.5x47 Lapua
    Name:  VISE RIGHT CRP RS II.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  69.6 KBName:  SEB NEO SMALL.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  94.8 KB

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 01-04-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Bench wise, I use a SEB NEO Rest and Protecktor Rear Bags. This is my primary 1,000 yard BR
    I just finished.

There are a lot of suppliers that specialize in Bench Rest and Long Range Shooting supplies.

Bruno's in Phoenix, The Shooters Corner in New Jersey, Sinclair International, PMA Tool, Bullet Central, Wilson, Whidden etc.

www.Benchrest.com and www.accurateshooter.com are two of the popular Bench Rest web sites. Always used equipment available for sale there.

Bob

User Tag List