Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Long range shooting for dummies

When I look for answers to my equipment questions, I start by searching this blog.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/

They have a section on what the pro’s use. They talk about bags, scopes, actions, barrels etc.

I made my own bag about 5 years ago but recently played with a Wiebad Mini Fortune Cookie

There is going to be one in my future.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Long range shooting for dummies

@theJanitor,

I have a few expensive scopes and don’t swap them among rifles. The Burris XTR2 that @ranger mentioned is a good way to go, and preferable to the hassle of swapping scopes. I like mine a lot.

I like my Mark5, but wouldn’t pay full price. I’d pass on Mk6 except for the 1-6x.

Oddly I am not a big Vortex fan. Their CS is good, but not better than a bunch of other brands. And a lot of their scopes are either flimsy or super heavy for no good reason. And what is up with those fugly yuge Razor turrets?

I think the NF ATACR is a great scope, and if I was in the market for high end glass, that’s what I would buy.

The 8x zoom of the NX8 isn’t worth the cost in eyebox and clarity at the high end. I’d take a good 5x any day over any 8x I’ve tried.

I use my Wiebad Pump Pillow for practically everything, including as a rear bag.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-04-2021 at 07:16 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    OK, you guys have a preference for bags? What size/shape? What combos of bags do you prefer? Places to buy them?
    I like the Armageddon Pint Sized Gamechanger (Wax cotton, Heavy). In the classes I took at K&M, the GameChangers - full size, medium, and pint sized - dominated the class including the instructors.

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_2794.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  78.7 KB

Here is a line of PRS rifles with several bags (mostly a version of GameChanger) - this was at K&M at May one day match I think
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I shoot 100/200 yard group Benchrest with a 6PPC. 100/200 Score with a 30BR. 300 Yard Group and Score with a 6mmBR Norma and 60/800 and 1000 yard score and group with a 6mm Dasher and a 6.5x47 Lapua. 100 and 200 RF with a Gordon Eck 2500X build.

If you can make it to central Pennsylvania in early June, "The Original PA 1000 Yard Benchrest Club" holds a long range shooting school. Last year's was canceled, but hopefully it will be run again this year. If you really want to learn the game hands on, it is worth the expense.

Bob White, who is the owner of "The Shooters Corner" and a highly ranked bench rest shooter also holds a Bench Rest Clinic and Seminar in April each year. That is held at Cherry Ridge Gun Club in New Jersey.

To shoot competitive scores in long range bench rest, you have to have the right equipment, the right ammunition, the ability to read and compensate for the weather and the ability to shoot. It can be very challenging.

Bench wise, I use a SEB NEO Rest and Protecktor Rear Bags. This is my primary 1,000 yard BR rifle. 6.5x47 Lapua
    Attachment 65734Attachment 65735

Bob
    Beautiful rifle and rest! What is your best group at 1000?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

There are two different 1,000 yard sanctioning bodies. The IBS (International Bench Rest Shooters) shoot 5 shot relays for both Score and Group. The world record was last broken in 2018 and the result was a group of 1.068" With a Score of 50 with 5 Xs. My best IBS group has been 3.1 " with a score of 50 with 2 Xs, but I mostly shoot Williamsport Rules, which is a 10 shot really, here my best group was 3.6". Certainly not winning groups. My best shooting has been in 100 yard Score.

The World Record 10 shoot group, is 2.659"

Williamsport also has an 11 pound class, that allows participants to basically try competing with a "Factory Class" rifle.

This is my Factory Class Bench Rest Rifle. My best group with it was just under 5.5"

Name:  WILLIAMSPORT 40X RS.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  83.7 KB

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 01-05-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    This is exactly where I am. I want enough scope that I can put it on anything in the future. XTRiii, DMR pro seem to be equatable. Razor HD seems bombproof, and the service is unquestionable. I'm leaning that was or the MK5/6. Are the MK6's as durable as the MK5? I could make the jump to a used Kahles 6-24
    DMRII Pro should have the better glass; the ED prime glass is supposed to be more comparable to the Razor glass. The DMRII Pro should have the same HD glass as the XRS with the rest of the line (non-pro DMR/ HDMR) having the non-HD glass comparable to the XTRiii. Still great glass in both though.

@theJanitor I have to amend my previous judgment re Leupolds. Speaking to a vendor yesterday, apparently the MK5s will be coming out with a new reticle (thinking Christmas tree) for PRS style shooting and at a price point designed to make it more appealing to the Production class shooter which has a $3000 cap. This should keep the cost right at $2K msrp with a better street price.

Site Supporter
    Anyone have any experience with the 4-14 FFP Nightforce SHV? I had heard the manufacture was different than the rest of the Nightforce lineup. Looking for details.

I traded into a Razor Gen2 4.5-27x. Holy F*ck this thing is huge. My only real dabble into precision shooting was with a GAP Rock over a dozen years ago, and all it had was a Mk4 10X. In comparison, this thing is incredible.

I don't have a suitable rifle to put it on, and I probably will have other firearm related purchases to prioritize after this week's political developments. but the first step into the rabbit hole had been taken. I guess we will see where it leads

User Tag List