Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Long range shooting for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Bumping this, looking for more nuggets of shooting wisdom from the experienced members.

Specific to me, does anyone have tips for shooting a 16" Recce/SPR well? What about preferred equipment for that type of rifle? Bags, bipods, stocks, etc? CVommercially available ammo preferences? I don't know what don't know so I'd appreciate any advice
    What caliber are we talking here?
    The biggest advice is have realistic expectations for accuracy. Semi-auto rifles are generally more difficult to shoot accurately that bolt guns. I would be happy with 1-1.5 MOA at 100yards groups unless the rifle comes with some kind of accuracy guarantee.
    For some reason I found .223 semi-autos (BCM MK12) to be less accurate than .308 (LMT MWS). Perhaps it's because I haven't found ammo that the rifle really liked. My LMT .308 does really well with FGMM 168 grain.
    I strongly recommend getting a quality tripod regardless of the rifle being used as it opens up a lot of versatility.
    I also don't like Magpul PRS Gen 3. I find it too long in the shortest position. If you really want a "precision type stock", I would recommend LMT DMR Buttstock. However, I found regular AR stocks work well. If using standard stock, I tend to prefer Magpul ACS because of the weight and having the lock mechanism covered so you can't accidentally depress it with the support hand unlike VLTOR stocks.

I like ARC M10 rings because like the ARC actions, they are well-engineered. The design spreads stresses evenly as the rings are tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    ARC makes solid rings and we usually have them in stock
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    American Rifle Company M10 rings are in stock at Brownells. Sure they are not $80 junk, but they are by far the most solid and easiest to install rings I've ever used.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I just bought a Rainier UltrMatch 16" with Wylde chamber and some BH 75 Match ammo. Installed it on a colt receiver and a BCM handguard. Scope is a Vortex Gen2 Razor 4.5-27, on a Badger COMM 1.54" mount. I can't afford to burn ammo "figuring" it out, hence the questions.

Looking at the Atlas CAL but don't know if I should spring for the entire ARCA system now, especially if I'm going to get a tripod

I'm shooting off a pair of Weibad bags now, and I get randomly good/bad results at 100y.

Bumping this, looking for more nuggets of shooting wisdom from the experienced members.

Specific to me, does anyone have tips for shooting a 16" Recce/SPR well? What about preferred equipment for that type of rifle? Bags, bipods, stocks, etc? CVommercially available ammo preferences? I don't know what don't know so I'd appreciate any advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    ...Semi-auto rifles are generally more difficult to shoot accurately that bolt guns.
    I agree with this. In part because of their light weight, and in part because of the complexity of the recoil impulse, AR-type rifles can be a lot harder to shoot precisely and a heavy bolt gun. A buddy of mine is able to shoot ARs from a bench or prone incredibly well, < 0.5moa consistently. He pulls down, and back on the pistol grip quite hard. I don't love this technique because its not applicable in in many other positions. But it sure works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    He pulls down, and back on the pistol grip quite hard.
    Thanks, this is exactly the stuff I need to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't love this technique because its not applicable in in many other positions. But it sure works for him.
    He's using a bipod? loading it up heavy, and pulling the grip? What about positions that can't utilize the bipod? Hold down the rail or scope with the support hand?

He's using a bipod? loading it up heavy, and pulling the grip? What about positions that can't utilize the bipod? Hold down the rail or scope with the support hand?
    Yes, bipod. But it also works on a bag or ruck. Yes, positions that can't utilize that are a problem. I worry that the zero from using that technique won't be the same for offhand, barricade, or tripod shots. Yes, he holds the gun with the support hand wherever.

I go back and forth between shooting off a pack or bipod. Most of the time I don't have a bipod on my carbine so I use my pack.

Typical groups with a 16" SR-15, as you can see that once in a while I'll let one fly-

The things that have helped me are using a soft squeeze on the grip and using my shoulder to press into the trigger as I am squeezing it. Follow through and consistency become more critical than a bolt action.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I just bought a Rainier UltrMatch 16" with Wylde chamber and some BH 75 Match ammo. Installed it on a colt receiver and a BCM handguard. Scope is a Vortex Gen2 Razor 4.5-27, on a Badger COMM 1.54" mount. I can't afford to burn ammo "figuring" it out, hence the questions.

Looking at the Atlas CAL but don't know if I should spring for the entire ARCA system now, especially if I'm going to get a tripod

I'm shooting off a pair of Weibad bags now, and I get randomly good/bad results at 100y.

It's been a minute since I shot a gas gun for groups off a bipod, but I had my best results by aggressively loading the bipod with my hips, then pulling back with both the firing hand and support hand. Support hand was on the rear bag. This would essentially remove the preload from the bipod and place that tension in my arms. Take care not to try to drive the shoulder into the gun.

Shooting a bolt gun, I can just load the bipod and have minimal rearward tension in my arms, primarily 10-15lb of rearward pressure from the firing hand.

The atlas CAL rocks.

Gas guns definitely benefit from some force into the shoulder. As Clusterfrack mentioned it's not always easy for different positions. I've found a simple 2 point sling can be a good aid in these cases. While getting into position cinch the sling down right. I prefer slings with tails like the VTAC for this as you have a little more leverage and the adjuster isn't moving away from you.

This is really helpful for me on stuff like fences, tank traps, etc where you are standing and using a barricade which doesn't offer any real stability.

User Tag List