Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad batch of CCI 9mm ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I've had good luck with Blazer Brass in my Gen 3 Glocks putting several cases of it through my guns over the last few years and a G19 in particular. This includes a couple of classes. No issues really.

I haven't really tried the aluminum cased stuff just the brass. I switched to AE and Lawman earlier this year though to try and get velocities and accuracy closer to my carry ammo.
    My experience matches yours with the 115- and 124-grain Blazer Brass being satisfactory every time I've had occasion to use it. It seems to be loaded considerably hotter than the aluminum-cased stuff with reliable cycling and ejection.

I've used the aluminum-cased Blazer ammunition only once, had to have been better than 30 years ago and my memory is that it was loaded very anemicly and caused problems with the gun that it was used in. I guess that some things never change.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

It will be interesting to watch how the supply chain disruptions affects brand quality. I've already heard stories about manufacturers seeking imported primers from wherever possible, as their own normal sources of components cannot meet demand.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Was the Blazer ammo brass cased or aluminum cased? I have had several instances where aluminum cased cartridges (both CCI and Federal in both 9mm and .40) won't extract properly while brass worked as advertised. This has occurred in CZ, Glock and HK pistols. It has certainly put me off aluminum. The CZ had quite a few miles on it, so I replaced the extractor and spring and had no further incidents. The Glock and HK were both relatively new pistols.
    Brass. I completely forgot they had aluminum.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    My experience matches yours with the 115- and 124-grain Blazer Brass being satisfactory every time I've had occasion to use it. It seems to be loaded considerably hotter than the aluminum-cased stuff with reliable cycling and ejection.

I've used the aluminum-cased Blazer ammunition only once, had to have been better than 30 years ago and my memory is that it was loaded very anemicly and caused problems with the gun that it was used in. I guess that some things never change.
    I haven't shot any Blazer 115 in several years, but in the late 90s and early 2000s, I used to buy the aluminum case 115 load for $3.99/50 (or $3.67/50 on sale) at Academy. I'd buy a case a month at least and get questions about why I needed "so many bullets" from clerks, who were shocked that a case was a month's requirement of training ammo for me.

As for quality of that load, my chrono testing showed its average velocity was 1167 fps, extreme spread was 30 fps and standard deviation was about 8 fps. It was super consistent and would stay in 1.5" from good pistols. I wish I had maxed a credit card on a bunch!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I wouldn't consider switching between a 115 grain load and a 147 grain load to be a good test. Do you have access to some other 115 grain ammo to test?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I don't think it is just a recent issue with Blazer 115s. Last year I had trouble shooting that stuff in my P365 and and 92F with several FT extract and/or eject. Runs fine and clean in my 1911 and LCR.

9 rounds out of a G17, average velocity 1032 fps. Extreme spread 63, standard deviation 21.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I wouldn't consider switching between a 115 grain load and a 147 grain load to be a good test. Do you have access to some other 115 grain ammo to test?
    Two of these guns are seasoned and I have shot everything out of them including steel case with no problems. The latest 115 grain offering was PMC and was gtg.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I haven't shot any Blazer 115 in several years, but in the late 90s and early 2000s, I used to buy the aluminum case 115 load for $3.99/50 (or $3.67/50 on sale) at Academy. I'd buy a case a month at least and get questions about why I needed "so many bullets" from clerks, who were shocked that a case was a month's requirement of training ammo for me.

As for quality of that load, my chrono testing showed its average velocity was 1167 fps, extreme spread was 30 fps and standard deviation was about 8 fps. It was super consistent and would stay in 1.5" from good pistols. I wish I had maxed a credit card on a bunch!
    Those prices—and I do recall them being in that range—seem surreal these days, don't they?

Call me a pessimist, or maybe even a cynic, but I think that prices like that are gone forever.

The best that I've seen ''pre-COVID'' was a deal I got on three cases of 115-grain Lawman at the LGS just outside of town with a store weekend ''special'' coupon that brought the cost to $127/K.

Lately, I've been running some Fiocchi 115-grain FMJs that I got a couple of years ago at $179/K. They're pretty 'warm' giving me about 1,260 fps out of the G17 and 1,290-ish outta the 17L. I've got enough of those for my next class and then some before I get down to my FederalAE stash which is, shall we say.....''adequate''.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Those prices—and I do recall them being in that range—seem surreal these days, don't they?

Call me a pessimist, or maybe even a cynic, but I think that prices like that are gone forever.

The best that I've seen ''pre-COVID'' was a deal I got on three cases of 115-grain Lawman at the LGS just outside of town with a store weekend ''special'' coupon that brought the cost to $127/K.

Lately, I've been running some Fiocchi 115-grain FMJs that I got a couple of years ago at $179/K. They're pretty 'warm' giving me about 1,260 fps out of the G17 and 1,290-ish outta the 17L. I've got enough of those for my next class and then some before I get down to my FederalAE stash which is, shall we say.....''adequate''.
    I made the grand switch from .40/.45 two years ago, and previously only had a single KT P11 prior to that. Had maybe 300 rounds of 9mm, AE 115 gr from Sportman's Warehouse. Marked 9.99, and bought it in 2007. I'd bought a bunch of ammo while still overseas from Natchez early that year, and seem to remember 9 (most likely Blazer Brass) being somewhere between $16 and $18 per 100 shipped. .40 was $21.50, and .45 was $26. Precovid, the magic number on 9mm was 180ish/case.

I haven't shot much Blazer these last couple years, but in my M9, the 92 compact I had, and the LTT I run now, I had consistent failures to extract with Federal "black pack" ammo, Blazer Brass, and the Browning branded ammo. Just those three, and it was consistent in all three guns. Put in WC extra power extractor springs and haven't had any issues since. From a chronograph standpoint, they all generally had a little more oomph than the Champion stuff, and I've never had an issue with it.

User Tag List