Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad batch of CCI 9mm ammo?

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I went through a 500-round box of Federal "Black Pack" and while it shot like doo-doo, it ran fine in my PX4s. I mostly run my handloads with 124s at about 1100 fps and those cases and range pickup Blazer Brass cases have caused no problems in my PX4s and Walther P99Cs. It might be because my loads are hotter than the anemic factory Blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    9 rounds out of a G17, average velocity 1032 fps. Extreme spread 63, standard deviation 21.
    For 115gr ammo, that is "anemic" for sure... 115gr ball should be going 1100-1200fps. For comparison, RA9T (147gr) clocks around 950 fps from my Glock 19. WWB is usually around 1150.

In the past, many moons ago, I often bought the aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo for practice, and it always felt hotter than WWB or the Federal AE. Back then, I didn't have a chronograph, so that is a "seat of the pants" feeling ( not data). I did try some Blazer Brass a few years later, and it didn't feel as warm.

My personal feeling, is that CCI/Speer and Federal coming together, and sometimes mixing production/equipment has lead to some inconsistencies in traditionally "good" ammo. (IE: reports of issues with newer 147gr HST, which appears in plastic trays and with primer sealant that both look like CCI/Speer products, for example)

So my coworker who ran it through the chrono for me said it ran fine for him in his gamer Glock with 13# recoil spring. Although he said he did notice erratic ejection which is why it was 9 shots instead of the 10 I gave him. Apparently one of the cases hit his chrono.

So I guess if I want to run this ammo I am going to need to temporarily swap in a lighter recoil spring.

I’ve gone through 2000 rounds of 115 Blazer Brass (including 1000 rounds of “CCI training ammo” in white boxes- with BB stamps) since September, with not one issue or malfunction of any kind. Most of it was purchased in late August and early September. Some of it was used to effectively engage targets at well over 100 yards (Gunsite class).

Data point of one, for what’s that worth, but there you have it.

User Tag List