Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: youth sewing machine

RFI: youth sewing machine

Our little one, who will be ten in a couple of weeks, wants a sewing machine for Xmas. Knowing that there are a fair number of homesteader types here, plus the expertise on all things found on this site is genuinely one of the reasons this is the only forum I’m still active on, I thought someone might actually be able to recommend something, which is why I’m asking about sewing machines on a gun forum.

She wants to make doll/stuffed animal clothes and then try her hand at making stuff for herself. My concerns are:
    1. Safety. I know a needle though the thumb isn’t the end of the world but it would likely ruin the hobby for her.
    2. Quality. I don’t want to buy junk.
    3. Value. Similarly I don’t want a $1k machine that she uses thrice and then quits.
    4. Ease of use. Wife and I have virtually no clue on these things, but daughter will happily YouTube the shit out of it, w just don’t want to overwhelm her.
    5. Long haul. At the same time, if she likes doing it, I don’t want to buy something that’s only good for a ten year old and that she will outgrow in a year as her skills progress.

Too much to ask for? I’d pay a little more than I want if it got me everything else on my list.

Before you suggest “used”, we simply don’t have the time or inclination to go shopping around for used stuff, and we live in a virtual third-world country where the used market for everything is such a shit show as to make it pointless (ask me how many decent used power tools I’ve found in the last ten years. Ok, it’s zero).
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I don't really have any knowledge to help, but I do have a sewing machine. A hand-me-down from my mom when she upgraded >20 years ago. It doesn't see much use, but it sure is a nice tool to have when I need it. I view it as a worthwhile asset in life, even though that particular form of craftiness has zero interest for me.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My grandmother had a Singer with the foot paddle (not electric). My mom had a Singer. My wife has a Singer. I've sewn on plenty of Boy Scout patches and merit badges with the machine and relocated a few belt loops for holster positioning. I suppose if I were looking I would look at Singer. Perhaps a fabric/craft store would also be a be a good place to inquire.

My wife sews seriously as in enough to have a business after sewing for forty years. Her mother is a retired seamstress who made dresses on the "paid by the dress" compensation plan. There are at least six machines in the house ranging from $100 to $5000. She suggests going to Wal-Mart or its like and purchasing the least expensive Singer or Brother machine you find. It will have less controls and options that a more expensive machine, but will be remarkably durable and useful. It will also use common parts, especially feet. As an example, my wife needed another machine during peak mask selling as she was sitting for eight hours per day sewing masks and her daily driver needed servicing. A new Brother from Wal-Mart was the ticket and ran for eight hours per day for two months with no issues. I think it was about $105 with tax.

Be sure to purchase extra needles, extra bobbins, and sewing machine oil. Needles will break, different thread is on different bobbins, and the machine needs lubed about every ten hours of usage. Patterns can be found on line. Amazon sells a pretty good package of feet at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by farscott; 11-27-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Disclaimer: my wife is into it, e.g. she did her own wedding dress. I'm just a hack, who can use one well enough to patch camping equipment.

I'm not aware of youth models, but am happy to be proved wrong. AFAIK, kids just learned by using whatever Mom had.

My sense is that there are a lot of old, simple ones out there, that it's kind of a dying hobby, and modern folks who are big into it are likely to want fancy $$$$ ones with lotsa electronics and stuff. Which means there are a lot of cheap, serviceable used ones out there.

If I were in your shoes, my plan of action would be to:

1)talk to a local sewing place that had used ones, asking which brands they support, which brands they can't repair, etc. Maybe buy a used one from them, depending on price. That would have the advantage of having been looked at by experts.
    2)Look at craigslist etc; our local craigslist has a number for sale under $100.

If she works up to wanting more bells and whistles, then upgrade.

FWIW, if she can take a class or find a mentor, I'd recommend that. I know when my hack attempts run into problems, I ask the better half, and she shows me the smart, non obvious trick that all the seamstresses know to do that easily.

(aside - there are a several of the foot treadle ones for a little over $100 ... I have an irrational lust for one of those, as well as a treadle powered metal lathe. What an advance they were over hand sewing)

A friend has taught junior sewing classes. They use regular machines.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I agree buy something simple and inexpensive. The problem is repair. Finding someone who really knows repair is going to be difficult. A lot like gunsmiths. People out there say they know what they are doing but finding the guy who really knows isnt that easy.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My wife sews seriously as in enough to have a business after sewing for forty years. Her mother is a retired seamstress who made dresses on the "paid by the dress" compensation plan. There are at least six machines in the house ranging from $100 to $5000. She suggests going to Wal-Mart or its like and purchasing the least expensive Singer or Brother machine you find. It will have less controls and options that a more expensive machine, but will be remarkably durable and useful. It will also use common parts, especially feet. As an example, my wife needed another machine during peak mask selling as she was sitting for eight hours per day sewing masks and her daily driver needed servicing. A new Brother from Wal-Mart was the ticket and ran for eight hours per day for two months with no issues. I think it was about $105 with tax.

Be sure to purchase extra needles, extra bobbins, and sewing machine oil. Needles will break, different thread is on different bobbins, and the machine needs lubed about every ten hours of usage. Patterns can be found on line. Amazon sells a pretty good package of feet at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    This is pretty similar advice that a friend, who does a lot of sewing, gave when I asked her. She also said there are sewing stores that are offering some real nice refurbished machines that come with free classes.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Back in the day, I walked into Sears and bought a $300 machine on sale - 1999, maybe 2000. Sewed the fuck out of things, backpacks, bags, sleeping bags. A few years later I got a $750 or $1000 machine. I liked the $300 machine better and wish I never got rid of it.

It’s been 7 or 8 years since I’ve sewn seriously. Get the right needles for the material, enough bobbins for the number of colors she’ll be using. A good pair of scissors, a rotary cutter, and a cutting mat would be a good start. A dedicated table so you don’t have to set up and take down saves time and gets things more pedal/sewing time.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    Disclaimer: my wife is into it, e.g. she did her own wedding dress. I'm just a hack, who can use one well enough to patch camping equipment.

I'm not aware of youth models, but am happy to be proved wrong. AFAIK, kids just learned by using whatever Mom had.

My sense is that there are a lot of old, simple ones out there, that it's kind of a dying hobby, and modern folks who are big into it are likely to want fancy $$$$ ones with lotsa electronics and stuff. Which means there are a lot of cheap, serviceable used ones out there.

If I were in your shoes, my plan of action would be to:

1)talk to a local sewing place that had used ones, asking which brands they support, which brands they can't repair, etc. Maybe buy a used one from them, depending on price. That would have the advantage of having been looked at by experts.
    2)Look at craigslist etc; our local craigslist has a number for sale under $100.

If she works up to wanting more bells and whistles, then upgrade.

FWIW, if she can take a class or find a mentor, I'd recommend that. I know when my hack attempts run into problems, I ask the better half, and she shows me the smart, non obvious trick that all the seamstresses know to do that easily.

(aside - there are a several of the foot treadle ones for a little over $100 ... I have an irrational lust for one of those, as well as a treadle powered metal lathe. What an advance they were over hand sewing)
    If you can find a guy who works on them look for an industrial machine. They have a dedicated table and bobbin stand. The motor is separate from the machine powering the machine via belt. It will also have a metal foot petal.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List