Thread: Hinged Handcuff Lesson Plan

Site Supporter

Hinged Handcuff Lesson Plan

Our department places people who don't use gear in charge of ordering gear. Hinged handcuffs are mandated equipment due to their utility as a force option. (Don't get me started.) While I have had a set of hinged cuffs since I read Massad Ayoob's article on them in the early 1980's, I preferred chain cuffs. All of the retired real police used chain cuffs and the security academy other officers are sent teaches chain cuffs.

Anyone out there with a lesson plan n hinged handcuffs? Thanks and be safe.

While I carry both types, I’ve used hinged as my primary cuffs my entire career, as they are issued by my agency and what is most common throughout my state. The Lee Speed method is taught at the state run academy that all LE state-wide attends, but in all honesty there really isn’t a specific hinge vs. chain block of instruction.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Our department places people who don't use gear in charge of ordering gear. Hinged handcuffs are mandated equipment due to their utility as a force option. (Don't get me started.) While I have had a set of hinged cuffs since I read Massad Ayoob's article on them in the early 1980's, I preferred chain cuffs. All of the retired real police used chain cuffs and the security academy other officers are sent teaches chain cuffs.

Anyone out there with a lesson plan n hinged handcuffs? Thanks and be safe.
    PM me an email address. I’ll see why we’ve got at work and I’ll see what the state lesson plan has.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I haven't seen any specific training for one versus the other. I carry S&W Universal cuffs, one hinged and two chain. The hinged are good for pain compliance/control, but for some subjects, they don't call it "feeling no pain" for nothing. Chain cuffs are easier to apply to someone who's flailing and flopping about.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Concerns come from former real police who learned to handcuff compliant suspects with hand behind their heads. Cuff one wrist and rotate suspect arms behind the back won't really work. Truth be told, I used that technique routinely in my salad days of the early eighties.

That said, a compliant suspect is indeed compliant. If he's willing to face away and interlock (a term alien to most drunk people, especially those for whom English is a second language), he's probably willing to place his hands behind his back or out to the side.

Agree completely that chain cuffs are better for resisting suspects. Hey, I didn't want to retire from my real job.

I carried hinged and chain cuffs. Assholes got the hinged cuffs. Compliant Joes got the chained cuffs.

User Tag List