Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 22 LR?

Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    but you might also want to check out the S&W M&P 22 Compact, not the full size. They're cheap, reliable, and already threaded (adapter needed).
    Wondering if you say the compact over the full size, due to availability, or some other reason? TIA

Site Supporter

What 22 LR?

I’m wondering too.

The M&P 22 full size also has an excellent reputation for reliability. I’ve had one since 2012 or so, and it’s been fantastic for new shooters. That said, I think the G44 makes far more sense for the OP, since it closely resembles his EDC 9mm Glocks.

The M&P 22 compact and full size are completely different guns, the compact made by S&W while the full size is a generic Umarex .22 with an M&P shell. I owned a compact briefly when introducing my wife to shooting and later gave it to my father...I recall the safety action wasn't great but it shot well. I don't have any direct experience with the full size, but I don't get the impression they are terrible guns or anything even if they don't have the same build quality.

In the OP's situation, G44 seems like the answer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Wondering if you say the compact over the full size, due to availability, or some other reason? TIA
    @EricM beat me to it. Though there are some who haven't had any issues, I've read of far more problems with the full size M&P 22 on multiple forums. Umarex is an airsoft/air gun company that started making various rimfire clones for the HK 416, Micro Uzi, etc.

My vote would be get a Beretta 92 and run the 22LR conversion kit on it. I have been running my Elite LTT with the 22 conversion kit lately and it works perfect!

The m&P compact 22 that I have has been very good..... Trigger is a bit sketch but it is very accurate.

To pile on: if the highest priority is training for your carry platform obviously you want the G44.

If accuracy, better trigger and overall shooting experience, are higher priorities, than I'd recommend any of the following over any polymer .22 clone:
    * CZ Kadet (requires a CZ 75 or other CZ-compatible frame to host it). Had two of these several years ago, then sold when I sold off my CZ's. These are fantastic, accurate, durable .22 conversions, the best all-around one I've ever used.
    * Nelson Custom 1911 .22 conversion. Again, requires a 1911 to host it. Call them before ordering off website to ensure their conversion will run on your 1911 frame without fitting.
    * Ruger Mk 4 22/45 Tactical. Great shooter, have one currently, a great all around .22lr trainer, super accurate even with the factory barrel, and obviously the wealth of triggers, sights, barrels, and aftermarket options are vast.

And if "both" is an option....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 757_Magnum View Post
    I'm planning to get a G44 soon, but you might also want to check out the S&W M&P 22 Compact, not the full size. They're cheap, reliable, and already threaded (adapter needed). Mine has been through 2 to 3 bulk bricks of various brands with only a few ammo related failures to fire. About 95% of that was suppressed, and I've only cleaned it once when new. A couple drops of Slip 2000 EWL every few hundred rounds or so keeps it running, compared to my Rugers that need a thorough cleaning at the same point.
    No experience with a G44, but my M&P 22 Compact has been rock solid and perfectly reliable through several thousand rounds of ammo (not in a weekend at a class, but spread over a couple hundred at time time playing around). It has been an excellent gun to introduce people to shooting so far.

ETA my Advantage Arms G19 kit is a nightmare to keep running compared to the M&P Compact 22.
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 12-23-2020 at 07:19 PM.

Is there any way to mount a red dot to a G44?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    Is there any way to mount a red dot to a G44?
    There are supposed to be some aftermarket slides that are milled for that.

User Tag List