Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slingin' My 1187

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I have learned this as ‘African Carry,’ since 1997, and it’s how I carry long guns. Muzzle awareness is the challenge; if you’re lax, the muzzle will cover your foot.
    The only way I'd carry the 1187 muzzle down on my back (where I can't monitor the muzzle) is with an empty chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Alas, out of production. Looks like a slick setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    ROC-12R is the replacement:

http://cdmgear.com/roc12.html
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

The only way I'd carry the 1187 muzzle down on my back (where I can't monitor the muzzle) is with an empty chamber.
    For sure -- I do muzzle down over the shoulder but always with the forearm in hand. I have never done the over the head carry thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Too bad CDM discontinued that mount - it's really a robust yet simple design. FWIW, I have no need for the rail sections on the new version. The ROC-12 without the rails would be perfect.

Too bad CDM discontinued that mount - it's really a robust yet simple design. FWIW, I have no need for the rail sections on the new version. The ROC-12 without the rails would be perfect.
    Doesn't the modc have a QD you could use?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Doesn't the modc have a QD you could use?
    It does, but it's on the opposite side of the WML. The wrap-around-the-mag-tube technique is working much better.

So, I just did this to my 1301. I stripped off the Magpul handguard and put the OEM handguard back on. I'm now using the pic rail that goes on the Nordic extension clamp for a light. I'd like an even more low-pro light solution, but you can't have everything.

So much cleaner, thinner, better.

Thanks for posting this @NH Shooter.

A close-up of the sling attached directly to the mag tube;

Not the ultimate in tactical coolness, but I very much like this sling setup and technique for my 1187 use.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    After spending way too much time trying to figure out how to carry my "straight stock" 1187 patrol-style like I do with my carbine, I finally gave up. Though I was somewhat successful, the SG never carried like the AR, often ending up upside down or laying sideways in front of me - and it always felt awkward. I came to the conclusion that between the balance of my SG and the limited attachment points compared to the AR, it just wasn't going to work the way I wanted it too.

What I really wanted to do is to keep the sling as simple and compact as possible, it's primary purpose is to carry and be able to go hands-free when needed.
    Simple and compact = good. I way overthought the slinging solution for my short-stocked, dehorned* 870P. One-point, two-point, padded, unpadded... slings for carbines, slings for rifles, slings, slings, slings...a crapload of 'em. I found out that single-point slings worked great for me only if I didn't move. I also learned that pump-action shotguns can be particularly obnoxious WRT two-point slings because Murphy's Law will often put some part the sling right were the pump handle is going to run into it and hang something up. The first time out testing one particularly neat tactical sling found that the quick-adjust hardware could - and actually did - get itself between the front of the forearm and the retaining ring on the barrel so that the gun would not return to battery.

Imagine my surprise.

A shooting buddy who swears by the ancient GI "silent sling" told me that what I needed was nothing more than a carry strap, and I should leave the bells and whistles for other longarms. So I ended up buying some coyote tan nylon webbing and some ITT Nexus "slides," and made my own K.I.S.S. sling. Keeping as much as I could away from the front end and pointing "down," I ended up with this homely but functional setup.

Name:  870P copy.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  32.6 KB

Using GrovTec QD swivels, the sling goes on and off easily, but even when left on while operating, the setup has not snagged or jammed anything up in the couple years I have been using it.

*"Dehorned" by way of the 18" barrel with low-profile "DEA-style" XS sights, which - unlike the standard Remington LE irons - do not try and bring along everything they come in contact with, be it fabric or flesh. The shotgun remains as shown having proven to me the procedural advantage of having a utility shotgun that is "slick" enough to slide in and out of a case or a vehicle without drama.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List