Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slingin' My 1187

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I did something very similar with my Nordic extension and pic rail. Only difference is cut down my vent ribbed barrel so I ran the Snake Eater Tactical long loop around the extension and barrel, but under the vent rib.

https://www.snakeeatertactical.com/p...-simple-sling/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Simple and compact = good. I way overthought the slinging solution for my short-stocked, dehorned* 870P. One-point, two-point, padded, unpadded... slings for carbines, slings for rifles, slings, slings, slings...a crapload of 'em. I found out that single-point slings worked great for me only if I didn't move. I also learned that pump-action shotguns can be particularly obnoxious WRT two-point slings because Murphy's Law will often put some part the sling right were the pump handle is going to run into it and hang something up. The first time out testing one particularly neat tactical sling found that the quick-adjust hardware could - and actually did - get itself between the front of the forearm and the retaining ring on the barrel so that the gun would not return to battery.

Imagine my surprise.

A shooting buddy who swears by the ancient GI "silent sling" told me that what I needed was nothing more than a carry strap, and I should leave the bells and whistles for other longarms. So I ended up buying some coyote tan nylon webbing and some ITT Nexus "slides," and made my own K.I.S.S. sling. Keeping as much as I could away from the front end and pointing "down," I ended up with this homely but functional setup.

Attachment 65188

Using GrovTec QD swivels, the sling goes on and off easily, but even when left on while operating, the setup has not snagged or jammed anything up in the couple years I have been using it.

*"Dehorned" by way of the 18" barrel with low-profile "DEA-style" XS sights, which - unlike the standard Remington LE irons - do not try and bring along everything they come in contact with, be it fabric or flesh. The shotgun remains as shown having proven to me the procedural advantage of having a utility shotgun that is "slick" enough to slide in and out of a case or a vehicle without drama.

I really like your set up. What forearm? GG&G? I have already accumulated most of the parts to make a similar 870.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I really like your set up. What forearm? GG&G? I have already accumulated most of the parts to make a similar 870.
    Thank you!

You know your gear, as that is indeed an older GG&G that uses a modified Speedfeed/Remington forend as the basis. I tried to keep it "all-factory" insofar as I could, but that GG&G was the most clean and unobtrusive of the options - at least the ones that would hold up - in those days; unlike the Surefire forend, if the light component went down, it would take about any of the TLR lights I had around the place.

I can't say enough good things about that barrel's sights... they will give me about all the help I can actually use when shooting a shotgun for accuracy, but in a hurry, they are really quick for my increasingly derped eyes. The Remington youth/LE synthetic stock with the R3 pad gives it kind of a brutal look, but it does the job.

This was my last attempt at an all-purpose, utility shotgun for homestead, vehicle and boat (as opposed to "ship") use, one that could take even the sorriest old shells I might be compelled to use. After some years have passed, I am still pretty satisfied with it.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    I wish GG&G still made that forearm but with light at 6:00

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I wish GG&G still made that forearm but with light at 6:00
    They were really dead-simple things that punched above their weight, and I was disappointed to see them replaced by the plate-type setup.

The first runs of these forends (using a synthetic forend which was identical in shape/checkering to the Remington wood LE forend) was what I had originally intended to get, but I was a bit late getting my charge card out. I would like to see that earlier style resurrected.
    gn

Simple and compact = good. (Snip)

(snip)...ended up with this homely but functional setup.

Attachment 65188

(snip)

*"Dehorned" by way of the 18" barrel with low-profile "DEA-style" XS sights, which - unlike the standard Remington LE irons - do not try and bring along everything they come in contact with, be it fabric or flesh. The shotgun remains as shown having proven to me the procedural advantage of having a utility shotgun that is "slick" enough to slide in and out of a case or a vehicle without drama.
    That is one of the coolest 870's I've seen in awhile - love the K.I.S.S. of the gun.

Those Rem factory DEA spec barrels are really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    That is one of the coolest 870's I've seen in awhile - love the K.I.S.S. of the gun.

Those Rem factory DEA spec barrels are really nice.
    Thanks!

That barrel is an IC, and I have been pleased - sometimes a little surprised, even - at how seldom I wish it had more choke.
    gn

Simple and compact = good. I way overthought the slinging solution for my short-stocked, dehorned* 870P. One-point, two-point, padded, unpadded... slings for carbines, slings for rifles, slings, slings, slings...a crapload of 'em. I found out that single-point slings worked great for me only if I didn't move. I also learned that pump-action shotguns can be particularly obnoxious WRT two-point slings because Murphy's Law will often put some part the sling right were the pump handle is going to run into it and hang something up. The first time out testing one particularly neat tactical sling found that the quick-adjust hardware could - and actually did - get itself between the front of the forearm and the retaining ring on the barrel so that the gun would not return to battery.

Imagine my surprise.

A shooting buddy who swears by the ancient GI "silent sling" told me that what I needed was nothing more than a carry strap, and I should leave the bells and whistles for other longarms. So I ended up buying some coyote tan nylon webbing and some ITT Nexus "slides," and made my own K.I.S.S. sling. Keeping as much as I could away from the front end and pointing "down," I ended up with this homely but functional setup.

Attachment 65188

Using GrovTec QD swivels, the sling goes on and off easily, but even when left on while operating, the setup has not snagged or jammed anything up in the couple years I have been using it.

(I know this is an older thread!)

Gato,

Can you say any more about the barrel on your 870? I love the looks of that thing. Did you add the sights, yourself? Or, was that a factory option? You later mentioned something about Remington DEA spec’d barrel? Didn’t know about those.

If you added them, can you tell us a bit about the process? Where can the sights be purchased? Did it require soldering the front and rear to the barrel? Did you do the work?

I only want to know everything! That gun is beautiful in its’ simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    (I know this is an older thread!)

Gato,

Can you say any more about the barrel on your 870? I love the looks of that thing. Did you add the sights, yourself? Or, was that a factory option? You later mentioned something about Remington DEA spec’d barrel? Didn’t know about those.

If you added them, can you tell us a bit about the process? Where can the sights be purchased? Did it require soldering the front and rear to the barrel? Did you do the work?

I only want to know everything! That gun is beautiful in its’ simplicity.
    Well, "I don't understand everything I think I know, or is it the other way around" about that barrel, but at one time it was an easily available factory barrel that has since been discontinued. I think this was the correct part number:

REMINGTON PART #: F249630AS
    DESCRIPTION: 870 BBL 12/18.5" IC RSXS (Parkerized Low Profile Rifle Sights).

IIRC, the original idea of the XS low profile sights was for use on DEA 870's with the 14" barrel, but they also made them in the 18.5" length. The 18.5" ones are now hard to find. The rear dovetail mounting block and the front ramp are actually brazed to the barrel at the factory.

I don't think it would be particularly difficult for a good gunsmith to come pretty close to duplicating the sight setup, but it would not be inexpensive to do so. In my humble opinion, the new Remington 870 owners could do a lot worse than reviving this very barrel but threading it for Rem-Chokes; doing so would result in what I would consider an ideal universal/multi-purpose 870 barrel. I like the sights because:

1. the combo is very fast to pick up
    2. I can use or ignore the rear sight
    3. the blades are dovetailed and thus can be replaced with tritium or fiber optic blades
    4. they are LOW, relatively slick and snag resistant.
    gn

Well, "I don't understand everything I think I know, or is it the other way around" about that barrel, but at one time it was an easily available factory barrel that has since been discontinued. I think this was the correct part number:

REMINGTON PART #: F249630AS
    DESCRIPTION: 870 BBL 12/18.5" IC RSXS (Parkerized Low Profile Rifle Sights).

IIRC, the original idea of the XS low profile sights was for use on DEA 870's with the 14" barrel, but they also made them in the 18.5" length. The 18.5" ones are now hard to find. The rear dovetail mounting block and the front ramp are actually brazed to the barrel at the factory.

I don't think it would be particularly difficult for a good gunsmith to come pretty close to duplicating the sight setup, but it would not be inexpensive to do so. In my humble opinion, the new Remington 870 owners could do a lot worse than reviving this very barrel but threading it for Rem-Chokes; doing so would result in what I would consider an ideal universal/multi-purpose 870 barrel. I like the sights because:

1. the combo is very fast to pick up
    2. I can use or ignore the rear sight
    3. the blades are dovetailed and thus can be replaced with tritium or fiber optic blades
    4. they are LOW, relatively slick and snag resistant.

Thanks. Interesting. Is the rear rifle sight the XS V-notch?

User Tag List