Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Clavell deserves his own thread

James Clavell deserves his own thread

I am rereading Shogun for the thousandth time and it has gotten better with age. Just truly splendid work. Did you know that this is (loosely) based on the life of William Adams?! Or that Clavell based King Rat upon his own experiences as a POW?
    #RESIST

Pretty much everything I think I know about the Far East came from his novels. I’ve read each one many times.

Fantastic series.

He was tortured pretty badly by the Japanese, but bore them no ill will afterwards. He was also a political conservative. I would have like to have met him.
    #RESIST

I have owned Shogun since the mid 80’s and still have not read it. Maybe I had better blow the dust off of it and read it when I finish the books I am reading now.

Shikata ga nai, Lebowski-san
    There's nothing civil about this war.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I desperately need a book to read for pleasure and the Kindle version is on sale on Amazon. Bought.

I don’t remember ever reading Shogun, guess I’ll have to fix that.
    Pretty decent podcast about William Adams here:
    https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000487487861

I think it was this podcast host that was raving about the movie Silence, which I also need to check out. It’s about Jesuit monks in Japan around the same time.

Site Supporter
    Read it once upon a time, many years ago. Some of my impressions about Japan from it are apparently not correct, according to my brother who has lived there off and on and is married to a Japanese citizen.

Hammertime
    I know I was nuts for the TV mini series as a kid. Made me interested in Japanese culture. I think the honor culture aspect of it appealed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I desperately need a book to read for pleasure and the Kindle version is on sale on Amazon. Bought.
    You won’t regret it.
    #RESIST

User Tag List