Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: James Clavell deserves his own thread

Thorn Birds reference?

Shogun is one of my favorite books, and it has aged really well. I think I first read it 20 years ago, and I still enjoy it as much today as I did then. There are very few other things that I can say the same about.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    Shogun is one of my favorite books, and it has aged really well. I think I first read it 20 years ago, and I still enjoy it as much today as I did then. There are very few other things that I can say the same about.
    I think Lonesome Dove holds up to multiple reads as well. (There are others.)

First read Shogun back in the late 70's as I recall, but suppose it could have been early 80's.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Wife and I watched the mini-series earlier this year in preparation for our trip to Japan that didn't happen (Amazon says I bought the DVD 31-Jan ). The mini-series also holds up surprisingly well, except for those abhorrent skull caps that managed to look like shit in 1980.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think Lonesome Dove holds up to multiple reads as well. (There are others.)

First read Shogun back in the late 70's as I recall, but suppose it could have been early 80's.
    I've read Lonesome Dove a few times. Lord of the Rings a few times. There's a very long fantasy series called "The Wheel of Time" and I've probably read the first few books more times then any other book by a large margin. The series took 23 years to complete. At first there was a book every year, then every other year, then the original author died before the last book could be completed but it was not a surprise death and he left copious notes, frameworks of stories, and the completed ending. After a 4 year delay, a new author, along with the original author's wife, completed the series based on his notes but did it in three books instead of cramming all his ideas into one.

I think only the first four of the thirteen total books were out when I found the first one at a flea market and started the series. There were so many character and so many side plots of varying importance, and it was before the Internet was really a thing, that by the time another book came around I would have forgotten a lot of the details as to where the story was, so I'd re-read the entire series leading up to the release of the newest one. So, I read the first three or four around nine times each.

As a side note, I was in my early teens when I started the series. I don't remember exactly but I know I wasn't old enough to drive yet. I was in my mid-20s when I finished it. Some books that I thought were boring in the first reads as a younger reader became much more interesting as I got older and looked at things differently, plus I never failed to pick up new things I missed the prior times. It's a very complex and rich world, even if the original author did get up his own ass sometimes with complexity seemingly just for complexity sake.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I am rereading Shogun for the thousandth time and it has gotten better with age. Just truly splendid work. Did you know that this is (loosely) based on the life of William Adams?! Or that Clavell based King Rat upon his own experiences as a POW?
    We are getting a new/reboot/whatever Shogun series!

#PleaseDontFuckThisUp

PleaseDontFuckThisUpPleaseDontFuckThisUpPleaseDont FuckThisUp. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...st-1235023433/
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've read Lonesome Dove a few times. Lord of the Rings a few times. There's a very long fantasy series called "The Wheel of Time" and I've probably read the first few books more times then any other book by a large margin. The series took 23 years to complete. At first there was a book every year, then every other year, then the original author died before the last book could be completed but it was not a surprise death and he left copious notes, frameworks of stories, and the completed ending. After a 4 year delay, a new author, along with the original author's wife, completed the series based on his notes but did it in three books instead of cramming all his ideas into one.

I think only the first four of the thirteen total books were out when I found the first one at a flea market and started the series. There were so many character and so many side plots of varying importance, and it was before the Internet was really a thing, that by the time another book came around I would have forgotten a lot of the details as to where the story was, so I'd re-read the entire series leading up to the release of the newest one. So, I read the first three or four around nine times each.

As a side note, I was in my early teens when I started the series. I don't remember exactly but I know I wasn't old enough to drive yet. I was in my mid-20s when I finished it. Some books that I thought were boring in the first reads as a younger reader became much more interesting as I got older and looked at things differently, plus I never failed to pick up new things I missed the prior times. It's a very complex and rich world, even if the original author did get up his own ass sometimes with complexity seemingly just for complexity sake.
    Loved Wheel of Time for the complexity. Until I didn't. I think the stories had sprawled out to the point Jordan couldn't figure out how to pull the plots back together (especially with failing health). Couldn't make it past book 7. Which is a damn shame since the first four are way up there in my regard...
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

#PleaseDontFuckThisUp

PleaseDontFuckThisUpPleaseDontFuckThisUpPleaseDont FuckThisUp. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...st-1235023433/
    "Climate change wrecks a Patriarchal Colonizer British vessel with a problematic female name off the shores of peaceful BIPOC Indigenous Japan. The Wise Ancient civilization is celebrating Trans people when the racist transphobic English sailors attempt to appropriate their absolutely equal culture using assault weapons of war..."

#PleaseDontFuckThisUp

I can't imagine them doing it justice in this climate

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Loved Wheel of Time for the complexity. Until I didn't. I think the stories had sprawled out to the point Jordan couldn't figure out how to pull the plots back together (especially with failing health). Couldn't make it past book 7. Which is a damn shame since the first four are way up there in my regard...
    Read the first Wheel of Time and thought, "this is a trilogy." Read the second and thought, "No less than four books, ok, np." Read the third and commented, "A pentarchy?" Didn't get through the fourth book before I stated that every book written requires 2 more to flesh out, deal with, and complete all the threads. Quickly went through around book 7 or so (what was published, and owned by my roommates), and lost interest.

Dune notwithstanding, you can't hide enormous numbers of people in a desert.

Rand is the most punchable hero in all of sf/fantasy fiction.

User Tag List