Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I saw something strange at the store today.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    All this makes me think of decades of reading and hearing the cash you carry is typically cleaner than the dining utensils at most restaurants.
    But in this new cashless society I’m going to lose the mental edge I have over everybody else.

Maybe not safe for work (mild profanity)

im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you want some real fun, hand the clerk a fifty cent piece. Last time I used one, the clerk had no idea what it was.
    Or a $2 bill or silver dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    At least it wasn't one of those people that uses checks.....
    No lie, I keep a check in my wallet just for the times when someone crowds me in line at the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Or a $2 bill or silver dollar.
    I work and am becoming an owner, of a place that is cash and check only. We had an employee, that once had the police called on them, because they gave a cashier a $2 bill and they thought it and the old $20 they used, were both fake.
    They waited, cops laughed.

I have seen what chargebacks, etc. due to small businesses. Everything out of ours is paid for (don't do debt), but so many people do debt. Only one banking friend has caught covid, and that was CEO/Owner, from an in person meeting. They must disinfect the money, somehow, besides the glove precautions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    No lie, I keep a check in my wallet just for the times when someone crowds me in line at the grocery store.
    Damn! That's next level!

You're my spirit animal.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That doesn’t make sense to me when even the food trucks and trailers around here all accept cards. Plus security wise you cut down on the amount of cash on hand or that you’re having to deposit at the bank.
    Credit cards charge the merchant a percentage, no matter what. In times like these I'd be loathe to give up margin too, especially if my customers didn't object.

I pay contactless where I can, but I always have folding money in case of a merchant who'd like it, or random charity (which my boy figures includes him these days).

Site Supporter
    Every time you use a credit card, the business at which you made the purchase gets hit with about 2 or 3 different fees. Depending on the nature of the business, they may or may not be able to build them into their prices. In some cases, however, the business makes a lot of sales they would not make if they did not accept cards.

I often try to use cash at small businesses to save them those processing fees. Even with the increased theoretical risk of COVID, some businesses prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    That doesn’t make sense to me when even the food trucks and trailers around here all accept cards. Plus security wise you cut down on the amount of cash on hand or that you’re having to deposit at the bank.
    There is a sizable portion of the local population that does not use credit or debit cards. Most places here do a sizable amount of business in cash, especially restaurants. Even the LGS does a lot of business in cash as cards are discouraged. Layaway is a big deal here.

Site Supporter
    Old people with those little change purses to take out exact change! Versus - someone arguing that the coupon on their phone doesn't scan or is really for the item, even though it isn't.

Try a Sacajawea dollar for line fun. Be sure to have your EDC with a round in the chamber.

Check out with just cash, no coupons - those were the days - of course, the medical care of those days - put on the leeches.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    There is a sizable portion of the local population that does not use credit or debit cards. Most places here do a sizable amount of business in cash, especially restaurants. Even the LGS does a lot of business in cash as cards are discouraged. Layaway is a big deal here.
    I’m just a little less than two hours south of you and understand about people who still just use cash, that doesn’t mean I don’t get annoyed when it’s the only payment option. I do still prefer to leave a cash tip and have bought guns etc for cash if they’ll take the card fee off the price.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List