Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel bought out

I bought a Rajah II pretty quick because I never grew up. I have been pretty hard on that thing and it still opens and closes as good as ever. As silly as some of their marketing is, I don't think it's bullshit. My normal EDC knife is a Rajah III with the thumb plate that works like a wave opener. Never had the screw or plate come loose, it holds an edge well enough, and it's way, way, tougher than it needs to be. It does make it a pretty bulky knife though. The tomahawks aren't bad for the money but they're really better though of as kits because the head/haft fit sucks and while the thing's apart you might as well refinish and customize. They make fun little projects though, especially if you're looking for something to do with your kids. Probably their best product is the Spetsnaz shovel, well made and very handy. A great tool to keep in a vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Dammit, I do love a good sale.

What the hell am I gonna do with a propylene kukri and cheap tomahawk guys? \sarc

For what it's worth, I do like the Triad lock they use, and I've had a Tuff Lite. Good little knife for an affordable price. Luckily, they're no more expensive on Amazon, no sale necessary.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Some of their products were silly, and the marketing was often over the top, but they also have some damn good folders. The Voyagers have been a staple since they still had plastic pocket clips.

Site Supporter
    Ever since I became interested in higher quality knives, I have purchased a variety, some of which cost more than Cold Steel, and were advertised as being really tough, the choice of <<insert your favorite military special forces unit here>>, etc. A few of these proved very quickly to be all hype and no substance. While some might think the marketing is over the top, I appreciate a company that was willing to put its products to the test on video, and which actually delivered a good product at a good price.

They are the Glock of knives. Lots of plastic, ugly, priced as high as the market will bear, and definitely overhyped but still seem to work when you need them.

I could never get past the pop rivet looking thing holding in the blade.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Dammit, I do love a good sale.

What the hell am I gonna do with a propylene kukri and cheap tomahawk guys? \sarc

For what it's worth, I do like the Triad lock they use, and I've had a Tuff Lite. Good little knife for an affordable price. Luckily, they're no more expensive on Amazon, no sale necessary.
    I’ve never considered a Cold Steel knife until you posted that.
    #RESIST

Not really sad about this. Cold Steel has stolen so many innovations from other knife makers the 'joke' among some knife folks is the name should be Cold Steal.

I never cared for Lynn Thompson While I'm a nobody and nothing in the knife game, the dude always rubbed me the wrong way when I ran into him at Blade Show.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Not really sad about this. Cold Steel has stolen so many innovations from other knife makers the 'joke' among some knife folks is the name should be Cold Steal.

I never cared for Lynn Thompson While I'm a nobody and nothing in the knife game, the dude always rubbed me the wrong way when I ran into him at Blade Show.
    This, this, this. I didn't really feal like commenting would accomplish anything but the dude has made a career of stealing other people's designs.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    This, this, this. I didn't really feal like commenting would accomplish anything but the dude has made a career of stealing other people's designs.
    To be honest, the knife world is rife with it. In the custom world, I tried hard not to patronize those who ripped off the work of others...but as my late friend Kit Carson said, "there's little new under the sun". (And he popularized flippers back in the day, while he always paid tribute to those who came before him.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    To be honest, the knife world is rife with it. In the custom world, I tried hard not to patronize those who ripped off the work of others...but as my late friend Kit Carson said, "there's little new under the sun". (And he popularized flippers back in the day, while he always paid tribute to those who came before him.)
    Absolutely it is, sometimes overtly and occasionally by accident or coincidence, but when one company shows the tendency over a span of decades its a fucking problem... It's not flattery, it's theft.

User Tag List