Thread: Long Gun lockable storage solutions: RFI

Long Gun lockable storage solutions: RFI

My wife and I are looking at becoming foster parents.

DSS rules clearly state all firearms must be locked up at all times, and also ammo has to be locked up separately.

For pistols, this isn't too bad, easy enough to get a bedside or under the bed safe(s).

But what about solutions for long guns?

We live far out in the boonies, and having access to a shotgun/rifle is quite handy if wild dogs (been there/done that), bears, foxes, etc come after our dogs and/or chickens and/or whatever else we get. Plus I'm a firm believer that either an AR or shotgun beats a pistol for home defense. If I put one in the safe, it's two rooms down the hall from the bedroom and makes access quite difficult.

Thanks
    cc

We have:

1)An Amsec DV652 under the bed (I don't think you can wall mount one). We're really happy with that.

2)A V-line something or other (31242??) in a vehicle. It's ...OK, but pretty flimsy. I think that w/ just the simplex lock a good yank would bend the door enough to open it (and if you use the additional key locks, it's not so quick to open any more, and you have a key to safeguard).

As a point of comparison, the Amsec weighs 90 pounds, the Vline is under 38 (I would have guessed less). The price isn't all that different.

No personal experience, but Ft. Know has some that I would look hard at (their 'Shotgun Security Box').

ETA: dunno about the 'ammo separately locked'. I suppose put a loaded mag in whatever pistol box strikes your fancy??

A few months ago I bought one of the Secure-It long gun lock boxes that attaches to a metal bed rail. I keep a shotgun and an AR pistol in it. It has a key lock and an electronic key pad. So far it seems to be a decent value for the money. There is a thread on them here somewhere

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    A few months ago I bought one of the Secure-It long gun lock boxes that attaches to a metal bed rail. I keep a shotgun and an AR pistol in it. It has a key lock and an electronic key pad. So far it seems to be a decent value for the money. There is a thread on them here somewhere
    I second the recommendation for SecureIt. I have two of the SecureIt Tactical Agile 52 safes and I am very pleased with them. I wrote a long form review of them here.

If you have a money and space for a real safe (i.e. Amsec) I would use that for long term storage, but for something smaller in your bedroom, one of the lock boxes that BobM mentioned would be a good solution.

Their customer service is excellent, for what that is worth.

Firearms Nation Podcast had a good conversation with Tom at SecureIt in episode 177.

They discuss the state of the RSC industry, weaknesses and questionable claims of typical gun "safes," and why you should consider their offerings.
    David S.

I'm looking to get a Monster Vault under the bed long safe for a quick access long gun option. It's not perfect, it needs a battery. It keeps guns out of kids hands, and largely out of sight.

I've been looking at it quite a bit lately, as I want to begin keeping a long gun (1301)quickly accessable but secure from my 4 year old. It looks likethe Monster Vault will allow my 1301, AR, and still fit my EDC in holster when needed.

I have been using the Vline in the wall long gun safe and one of their other long gun safes for 15+ years. I like the simplex lock option instead of electronics and the barrel keys can supplement that. My niece and nephew are grown now, but I still lock it when I leave in morning and open it when I get home at night. Not truly burglar proof but better than hidden in the closet and better quick access than a traditional spin the combination gun safe. I just don't trust the batteries on the electronics not to let me down.

Hammertime
    I have been very satisfied with the V Line in wall Closet Vault. I do not remember it being this expensive though!

https://www.vlineind.com/shop/closet...k-access-safe/

Requires you to take out dry wall and mount between studs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I'm looking to get a Monster Vault under the bed long safe for a quick access long gun option. It's not perfect, it needs a battery. It keeps guns out of kids hands, and largely out of sight.

I've been looking at it quite a bit lately, as I want to begin keeping a long gun (1301)quickly accessable but secure from my 4 year old. It looks likethe Monster Vault will allow my 1301, AR, and still fit my EDC in holster when needed.
    Both have 16” barrels. Stocks fully extended. Can on the top AR is 7” long. It may not be obvious based on the angle but I could easily add an additional HD shotgun too.

Name:  972E492D-B9CA-461B-B2D0-BF0B6F859006.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  52.4 KB
    David S.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017561442

One of these in the XL size will hold a lot of guns and can be bolted to the floor.

When I say a lot of guns, I mean 4-6 long guns and a similar number of handguns simultaneously. Easily hold an AR and a shotgun, along with room for your EDC.

User Tag List