Thread: New skinner

New skinner

I’ve had this CRKT Kuskokwin skinner for about a decade now and I’ve used it to gut probably 15-20 deer. It’s ok I guess and if I’m honest it really does a great job. That said, it was always intended to be a stand-in.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ture-526802522

I had a Buck Alpha Hunter with rosewood handles that my high school girlfriend gave me. I really loved that knife, but alas it was stolen along with my pack and Summit stand again about a decade ago.

So recently I’ve been looking at this Benchmade. My main hesitation is around the handles. Those grooves on the back of the tang are just going to be blood and guts collectors. I’m sure I could get it cleaned out with a toothbrush, but if I’m going to buy a new knife, I don’t want to buy problems.

https://www.gpknives.com/benchmade-h...r-guthook.html

Thoughts or other recommendations?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Looks like a nice blade.

I’ve only ever used two skinners (one custom with no guthook, one a freebie with a guthook the RMEF sent me), and haven’t had the opportunity to process nearly as many deer as you have, but I think those spine thumb grooves will probably not be a real problem to clean, and may even prove useful while in use.

I have the BM hidden canyon and absolutely love it, it's small but the shape of the blade gives you lots of cutting surface (if that makes sense). No gut hook but I use the RMEF set for field dressing and the Benchmade for skinning big game and it is perfect for breasting ducks and geese. The traction grooves on the spine do collect a little goo but wash out easy. Also I find S30V keeps a razor edge much longer than most other steel.
    Name:  Screenshot_20201205-110649.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  26.8 KB

I have a gut hook in my pack that I’ve never used, but I’m not processing as many deer as OP. Do you consider the gut hook essential?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I've been looking for a good game knife too. Interested to see what's thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I have a gut hook in my pack that I’ve never used, but I’m not processing as many deer as OP. Do you consider the gut hook essential?
    Not essential, but we don’t have a skinning pole or anything so when working in the dark and on the ground I find it useful to prevent hitting stuff that don’t need cut.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List