Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    DA/SA is really appealing to me for a lot of reasons. Particularly for carying aiwb. But sll of the DA/SA options tend to be midsized. CZ P07, P01, etc. These are the size of a glock 19, and significantly heavier than a glock 19.

With striker fired we have an entire class of guns that doesn't exist in the hammer fired world. Sig p365/p365xl, glock 43/43x, etc.

I bought a P-01 and I absolutely love it. But it's additional weight and size is noticeable over a smaller gun.

Why aren't there more hammer fired options in the subcompact world? The best option I know of is the PX4 Storm compact. But it's damn near the same weight and size as a P07 yet has only a 3.3" barrel. Ewwe

I ordered a sig P365XL to have a lighter carry gun, but I really like thumbing the hammer on the CZ and have mixed feelings about carrying the Sig aiwb since it doesn't have that option.

The closest option I know of is a glock with the little plate on the back that you can thumb to prevent a negligent discharge. Maybe I need to suck it up and enter the glock world?
    You might test drive a H&K P30. Not sub-compact as it's actually a DA/SA (V3 version) G19 (basically identical in size), polymer frame and all.

Site Supporter
    HK P30SK in a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 is a good option, especially with the 13 round mags, though obviously a double stack pistol. My problem is that I buy a gun and sometimes a holster and then just keep carrying my Glock 19 (or sometimes a 26 or 43). I'd like to get a P-07 someday. I should probably buy some standard cap mags while I can. I wish that Beretta would make a thinned down version of the M92 Type M in G configuration. Problem solved.

There is the CZ 2075 RAMI.

Ernest Langdon has worked over the Springfield XD-E.

I shot a few rounds through a one several months back. It didn't do anything for me, but I'm also satisfied with my J-frame/P-07/P-09 carry rotation.

Beretta also makes the PX4sc that's G26 sized. It seems well liked by the PX4 groupies. All seven of them.
    David S.

Agreed 100%!

Thinner da/sa options would be great. Right now there is no competition for springfield xde which isn't great. Its ok and nice that there is the langdon version.

I'd love to see for example sig release new version of p239 that takes p365 magazines. While at it, a p938 version that also takes p365 magazines would be cool. A new subcompact SP2022 polymer series that also took p365 magazines for lighter option.

Then maybe beretta could make a 92g subcompact that's thinner and barrel is shorter then the current compact. Have it use a p365 type magazine. Perhaps also release a striker fired model that's direct competition for p365 at same time using same magazine.

Perhaps Arex might release a rex zero 1 compact or subcompact that's thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I no longer see a lot of point in subcompacts if we are talking about appendix carry, not to say there isn't value in overall small guns and thin guns though. One issue I can see is the mainspring having far less space in a subcompact potentially causing issues like awful triggers.
    A p225 that takes p365 magazines or perhaps takes sheild arms glock 43x/48 magazines would be a nice compact option.

Quote Originally Posted by JN01 View Post
    There is the CZ 2075 RAMI.
    Those aren't exactly thin right? If they released new a single stack version or thinned down version with double or stack and half mag would be cool. A thinned down p01 or p07 might be nice too.

These days having thinner da/sa options for those that prefer to carry carry a thinner pistol or to have for times that would prefer a thinner option.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Why aren't there more hammer fired options in the subcompact world? The best option I know of is the PX4 Storm compact. But it's damn near the same weight and size as a P07 yet has only a 3.3" barrel. Ewwe
    There's also the PX4 subcompact. It's a little bit bigger than a Glock 26. Sounds like it's bigger than you're looking for but it is smaller than the compact.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    There's also the PX4 subcompact. It's a little bit bigger than a Glock 26. Sounds like it's bigger than you're looking for but it is smaller than the compact.
    Like the M&P subcompact size?

OP: Yes you definitely should try JM Custom Kydex as @Clusterfrack advised. Email Tony (the owner of JM) and tell him what you’re wanting to hide and where you’re wanting to hide it. You should probably mention if you’re shorter or taller longer torso, all that stuff. He’s always had excellent answers for me when I needed help.

All the halfway viable answers I know of for subcompact DA/SAs are the PX4 subcompact, the P30SK, the Walther P99C, and the Springfield XD-e. I wouldn’t have and XD-e unless it was purchased from @Langdon_Tactical.

Why aren’t there more? Market demand. Everyone pretty much wants striker fired pistols and the demand doesn’t really justify the investment expense for most makers. Smith and Wesson used to make the 3913 and 3953 for example, but market forces ended it.

User Tag List