Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

To be fair on the Kel-Tec PF9 thing, a lot of us have gone through the following process:
    1) "Wow, that's a tiny and lite little 9mm!"
    2) "And cheap too! I can absolutely throw a couple of Franklins and give it a go!"
    3) :BANG: "HOLY @$@#@$ @#$@#% @#%$^&^#@@#%^^ THIS THING @^$#^& HURTS!!!! @&%$#$$#%#@#$@#$@^&&!!!!!"
    4) "What will you give me for this PF9?"
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    I couldn't say whether this is true but I do think that this perception is the reason there haven't been more options
    I tend to think gun companies realized their margins are higher on polymer striker-fired guns so that's what they've largely made available to the gun buying public. And that's what the public buys, so that's what they keep making. Could be wrong, but I get the sense that most gun buyers don't think as much about as whether it's a SFA, TDA, SAO, etc. as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I tend to think gun companies realized their margins are higher on polymer striker-fired guns so that's what they've largely made available to the gun buying public. And that's what the public buys, so that's what they keep making. Could be wrong, but I get the sense that most gun buyers don't think as much about as whether it's a SFA, TDA, SAO, etc. as we do.
    The likely general metric is 1) Price 2) Brand Name 3) "Feel" 4) Caliber 5) Reputation 6) All that other stuff like 'action'
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    So that would be... a p239 with a shorter grip?

Interesting. Maybe take a half inch off the slide too. You’d something rami sized, but single stack. Cool.

It’d be kinda like a CS9, really. I guess that’s probably ultimate DA/SA carry 9.
    And weigh 26 oz. empty while holding 6 rounds?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I like the 245 but it just doesn't seem to hold enough rounds. I much prefer the 220.
    Meh. If I can carry a revolver I can carry a P245. I'm not real worried about capacity in the situations I carry either in, although I haven't carried a Sig for awhile.

That said, P220 magazines will work in a P245, and Sig sells (or at least used to) a sleeve that will act as a grip extension and keep the magazine from wobbling. I've got a couple of them but never used them for carry since they really bulk up the magazine.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Syrup Actual View Post
    The whole "one trigger pull" thing is pretty seductive. I think it's mostly boredom with Glocks that's stirring the market a bit.
    Tbh if it wasn't for Glock boredom we probably wouldn't have the M&P, P320, VP9, striker fired Beretta whatever they call it, striker fired CZ P-something or the other. The big pitch has always been an improvement over something Glock does. Back in like 2006, a sales rep from S&W was at the LGS for the M&P launch. He said after "massive public outcry from departments to develop a gun that can be disassembled without pulling the trigger and provides better ergos". Must not have been that big of an outcry because I rarely see M&P's in duty holsters and even fewer in regular guy use. Ask Raven Concealment how many dozen holsters they've sold for M&P's over the years and why they're reluctant to offer new holsters for them.

In the same way I would ask Biden voters to tell me why they're voting for him without mentioning Trump, a gun company should be able to tell you why you should buy their pistol without mentioning or subtly alluding to Glock or their features and characteristics in some way.

I realize I sound like a salty 1911 Boomer in the 80's when Glocks started hitting store shelves, but after shooting and carrying many different pistols over the years, I've always circled back to the pure simplicity of the Glock. In another thread I called them easy buttons and that's the best way I can describe it.

Sincerely,
    The 40 year old Glock Boomer

I ran a series of 25yard bill drills from aiwb last night ranging from 2.36 to 2.89

Though I did fail to clean all A’s, there were also no Mike’s. Best a 4A, 2D. All runs had 3 alpha.

I’m sure Some of you can best that with a DA/SA gun.....but I can’t.

Name:  42AA9A27-56E9-4138-9BC0-77D96187B470.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  56.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I ran a series of 25yard bill drills from aiwb last night ranging from 2.36 to 2.89

Though I did fail to clean all A’s, there were also no Mike’s. Best a 4A, 2D. All runs had 3 alpha.

Name:  42AA9A27-56E9-4138-9BC0-77D96187B470.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  56.5 KB
    What sort of results do you get when you run that with your LTT/RDS?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Good shooting. What were you shooting and why do you think it was an advantage over a TDA for a 25 yd Bill Drill?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    What sort of results do you get when you run that with your LTT/RDS?
    No way to know. I dumped the rdo LTT in less than a week

User Tag List