Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

The .40 version belonging to a family member was probably the worst pistol shooting experience I’ve ever had. A springy, spungy, flexy DA trigger pull that never ends and recoil that may have been worse than the titanium snubbie with full power magnum loads. Granted that’s a .40 and not a 9mm, but damn it was awful. I may have unloaded and passed on finishing the one mag I was going to put through it, I don’t recall.

ETA this is regarding Kel Tec, not Beretta.

Put me in the "damn, that PF-9 is hella painful" camp. I dumped mine after my first range trip.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I would really consider the PF9 if I thought it would be reliable. My copy, years ago, was perfect with FMJ, but not with HP. Plus it was one of the few guns that I actually found painful to shoot.

However I still have a, possibly irrational, desire for one.
    I do not have a desire for anything from KelTec. Their track record is too spotty. In this form factor, give me a G43 with a SCD any day of the week.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If we’re including DAO guns, the KelTec PF9 and Ruger LCP should be mentioned.
    Is the LCP a true DAO with a trigger you can pull continually for dryfire? I only have experience with the LCP 2, which is something like an SAO, and not interesting to me for that reason.

Despite my above gripes about my Kahr I cant imagine leaving it for a Kel Tec, based on my experience which includes a PF9. I also played with the SCCY (P11 clone) and it was just too chunky and cheap feeling for me to consider replacing my Kahr with.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Is the LCP a true DAO with a trigger you can pull continually for dryfire? I only have experience with the LCP 2, which is something like an SAO, and not interesting to me for that reason.

Despite my above gripes about my Kahr I cant imagine leaving it for a Kel Tec, based on my experience which includes a PF9. I also played with the SCCY (P11 clone) and it was just too chunky and cheap feeling for me to consider replacing my Kahr with.

The LCP Gen 1 does not have second strike capability.

Sig tried, with the P224...they were moderately successful with the P245 and P220 compact(s; 2 generations of them), then they tried the P224 in both 9 and 40. That one...not so successful. Sig doesn't make any of them now, though since the 220 compact wasn't a total failure, maybe they might bring that one back some day...

It wasn't that they couldn't make the DA/SA part work; it was that for whatever reason, they couldn't make them reliable, IIRC. I don't know why/what the issues were specifically, but I've never heard of anyone putting one through a rigorous test and it succeeding. I've read of plenty of stories on sig talk and other forums of people sending 224s back for repair/replacement, and never being happy with how they run.

They've done sporadic runs of P229s and P220s with the Compact 224/220 slides (usually called "Carry" models)...I don't know if they're more reliable due to the frame size, or what. I'm guessing they're not as reliable as the longer slide/barrel versions, but people want them anyway, so..

FWIW my P220 compact has been %100 reliable with everything factory I've fed it; I'm probably around 1200 rounds through it or so by this point, most of them (north of 800) my reloads. A few handful of failure to fires that went off on the 2nd/3rd strike; undoubtedly stretched brass and primers not fully seated each time. Same thing from the same batch happened on a full size P220 and a USP 45, so...I'm sure it wasn't the gun. It's fed HST, Hydra-Shok, and of course ball, all of the 230 grain variety.

The first gen P220 Compacts are easy to tell by their large beavertail...I've heard/read those were pretty unreliable for "reasons". The 2nd gen, which looked more like a standard 220 that someone put the photocopier on %65 before copying, seems to be much more reliable from what I've read...and for me, it's true.

I've heard the 245 was a bit flippy...FWIW, my 220 compact shoots nicer than a Colt Combat Commander. I shot them side by side, and I seriously felt that the 220 compact flipped less and was more comfortable to run for longer round counts. A combination of less punishing to shoot and less weight to carry...two things that often don't happen at the same time.

Site Supporter
    My P245 is awesome. I’d say it’s probably the most “accurate” gun I own. I’ve heard/I gather that Sig P2xx .45s kinda have this “x factor” when it comes to accuracy; I’ve had a few P245s, and I’d say my experience corroborates that. I bought an older P220 recently, which I haven’t actually shot yet. It’ll be interesting to see if I feel the same way about the P220.

I don’t shoot my P245 a ton... but even after a long hiatus, it always puts rounds right where I want them. And I honestly feel like it’s softer shooting than the Colt Commander (steel frame) I had for a while last year.

Also can’t forget the P239 if you’re talking about (sub?)compact Sigs.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 12-09-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    My P245 is awesome. I’d say it’s probably the most “accurate” gun I own. I’ve heard/I gather that Sig P2xx .45s kinda have this “x factor” when it comes to accuracy; I’ve had a few P245s, and I’d say my experience corroborates that. I bought an older P220 recently, which I haven’t actually shot yet. It’ll be interesting to see if I feel the same way about the P220.

I don’t shoot my P245 a ton... but even after a long hiatus, it always puts rounds right where I want them. And I honestly feel like it’s softer shooting than the Colt Commander (steel frame) I had for a while last year.

Also can’t forget the P239 if you’re talking about (sub?)compact Sigs.
    I've got a P245 and a covey of P220s. I am a fan.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If we’re including DAO guns, the KelTec PF9 and Ruger LCP should be mentioned.
    Kel Tec, really?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Kel Tec, really?
    I do not have a desire for anything from KelTec. Their track record is too spotty. In this form factor, give me a G43 with a SCD any day of the week.
    Since a bunch of DAO guns were being discussed, as well as some very unreliable and crappy guns, I thought we should mention KT. But maybe not...
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List