Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Imagine a thinner P30, with width of P365!
    My dream gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I had resisted buying a Beretta for years until I bought a Series 81 in .32 ACP. It didn't take me long after that experience to buy an M9, then an Elite 2, and recently a Cougar. Now I've caught myself looking at Cx4s trying to rationalize how practical it would be to have one that took 92 series magazines because CoMpatIbilITy WiLL KeEp you aLiVe on da Streets!
    Did you get an original, no-suffix 81, or a more modern variant?

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

If we’re including DAO guns, the KelTec PF9 and Ruger LCP should be mentioned.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The PF-9 (along with the P3AT & P32) are hammer fired, but they do not have second strike ability.

And even though it was recently discontinued after 25 years, the old P-11 was true DAO hammer fired with 2nd strike & flush fit 12rd mags available from KelTec. That was my first pistol. I still carry it often.

I also often carry a Beretta MiniCougar. Mine was a D, but I added the parts to add single action. It is very close in size to the 81 Series guns, but is definitely chunky.

Name:  67516D67-13C7-4684-844F-B4663C0E09C9.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  54.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Did you get an original, no-suffix 81, or a more modern variant?
    Mine is one of the no suffix, Italian Police trade-ins. Name:  IMG_2280.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  84.8 KB
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Mine is one of the no suffix, Italian Police trade-ins. Name:  IMG_2280.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  84.8 KB
    I have a couple of those as well. FYI, I found that Wolff's springs fit these (the BB and later guns use different spring diameters), and Wojtek Weaponry has done a run of replacement firing pins (since they're somewhat fragile and Beretta no longer makes spare parts for anything unique to the older-pattern guns).

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I would really consider the PF9 if I thought it would be reliable. My copy, years ago, was perfect with FMJ, but not with HP. Plus it was one of the few guns that I actually found painful to shoot.

However I still have a, possibly irrational, desire for one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I would really consider the PF9 if I thought it would be reliable. My copy, years ago, was perfect with FMJ, but not with HP. Plus it was one of the few guns that I actually found painful to shoot.

However I still have a, possibly irrational, desire for one.
    I found the exact same issues with my 2005-vintage P11. It ran well with FMJ, wouldn't feed any JHPs I could source. And the sharp corners of the grip frame were painful to shoot more than a couple mags through.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I had one for a couple of months. After 50 rounds of standard velocity 9x19, my hand was shaking so much that hits were iffy. It was decently accurate and ran 100%, though. I still have the Mika pocket holster for it.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I have a couple of those as well. FYI, I found that Wolff's springs fit these (the BB and later guns use different spring diameters), and Wojtek Weaponry has done a run of replacement firing pins (since they're somewhat fragile and Beretta no longer makes spare parts for anything unique to the older-pattern guns).
    Thanks for the info. I’ll add that to my list of things to get for spare parts.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List