Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Happy Hannukah. Generic squirrel-proof bird feeder? Maybe you really want the Squirrel Boss?
    Thanks.

Two different modes of operation to keep track of - the Squirrel Boss seems like the DA/SA of bird feeders. It all makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I agree. There's plenty of guns that aren't in cop/solider holsters much any more but still have a following among certain segments. The 1911, the N-frame, etc.

I wonder how many TDAs "Legion" marketing sold?
    Looks like that was the rebranding of the standard P-2xx series. I can't see a lot of difference except the price and maybe some slide options for RDS. But I've never looked into it that much.
    Last edited by Borderland; 12-13-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Looks like that was the rebranding of the standard P-2xx series. I can't see a lot of difference except the price and maybe some slide options for RDS. But I've never looked into that much.
    It was not so much a rebranding, it's a special edition. The "RX" indicates a RDS slide, not Legion. Legion P22X guns had a different finish, different trigger based on a Gray Guns trigger, different grips, different sights, and different controls. The grips and controls were an improvement, IMO. Many folks have trouble with the slide not locking back with a thumbs forward grip and accidentally holding down the slide stop and the Legion grip and reduced size lever addressed that. The trigger was different, if it was better then a standard trigger or SRT was debatable. The sights were kind of like the Ameri-glo agent sights, IIRC, and had a dark green insert. I didn't like the dark green as I see orange much better. I never bought one, I didn't want the trigger to be different from all my other Sigs and I'd have had to replace the sights anyway but there were several real differences over the Nitron (base) P2XX of the time.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    It was not so much a rebranding, it's a special edition. The "RX" indicates a RDS slide, not Legion. Legion P22X guns had a different finish, different trigger based on a Gray Guns trigger, different grips, different sights, and different controls. The grips and controls were an improvement, IMO. Many folks have trouble with the slide not locking back with a thumbs forward grip and accidentally holding down the slide stop and the Legion grip and reduced size lever addressed that. The trigger was different, if it was better then a standard trigger or SRT was debatable. The sights were kind of like the Ameri-glo agent sights, IIRC, and had a dark green insert. I didn't like the dark green as I see orange much better. I never bought one, I didn't want the trigger to be different from all my other Sigs and I'd have had to replace the sights anyway but there were several real differences over the Nitron (base) P2XX of the time.
    The differences between the Legion 22X series guns and the standard Nitron are mostly cosmetic, but some are nice. I agree the grips are nice, but I actually hate the reduced slide stop lever. Its unusable to me. I also suffered with the "my slide won't lock back!" Issue for years with my 226, and just accepted it. When I asked a Range staff guy from that time how to fix it, he said "Don't ever shoot empty". Wasnt until Mike Pannone's Advanced Pistol class that i fixed it. He wouldn't let myself and the other guy from my department leave until he fixed us, and he had a couple of good drills to do it.

I like the high undercut beneath the trigger guard, and the front strap checkering. I didn't think I'd like the XRay green front sight, but its grown on me. I normally prefer red/orange, but it'll do. As for the finish? I'm glad we spec'd the LE SKU Legions for our SWAT guys when we bought them, which comes with a Nitron finish. That PVD gray finish doesn't hold up, and flakes and rubs off. Sigs folks admitted as much to us, and recommended the LE SKU.

An interesting, and annoying as hell, thing about the Legions is that the frame under those proprietary grips is different. Standard grips, like E2's, won't fit without modification. Which we found out after the fact, of course.

So much complaining about companies not releasing new designs, yet nobody bought Springfield XD-E. It's like car guys talking about manual transmissions, but not buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    So much complaining about companies not releasing new designs, yet nobody bought Springfield XD-E. It's like car guys talking about manual transmissions, but not buying them.
    But it's an XD. It's a Yugo or AMC Pacer with a MT.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    That wasn't a "better" sub-compact. I was quite interested when it was announced. I was in plain clothes carrying a Sig TDA as my duty gun but a Shield as a BUG in an ankle holster. The "same" trigger system for both my duty and BUG had a lot of appeal to me. Then I got to talk to folks who had them for reviews prior to release. Zero people recommended it. One, a member here who doesn't post much any longer, offered the chance to shoot one with kind of a "you can shoot this one before it goes back...but keep expectations real low" sort of conversation. The feedback was so bad I didn't even bother to make the range trip.

Ernest Langdon sexes up a version with a trigger job, different springs, and a pinch of EL magic and while I'm sure it's a fine gun it's also a lot of money for what's still a Springfield.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I wanted to like that gun. Handled one at a local gun shop several times. I never could really get over a couple of things that I just did not like about it. Think I handled and dry fired it on three separate occasions. Never put the money down.

I really really think that Smith and Wesson, Beretta or HK could have (still could actually) take the same size envelope and really make something of it. Springfield, not so much.

Site Supporter
    Not really a subcompact, but there’s the Rex Zero 1 compact. My appreciation for Sigs put that on my radar. But I figured I’d be better off investing in more P239s.

I think some Euro PDs use the Arex guns. Polish state police maybe? Not sure if that’s useful, one way or the other.

There’s also the Grand Power P11. Seems like that’s roughly P2000sk sized—so, subcompact territory. Got the rotary barrel, like a PX4. I’ve heard they shoot very well.

That wasn't a "better" sub-compact. I was quite interested when it was announced. I was in plain clothes carrying a Sig TDA as my duty gun but a Shield as a BUG in an ankle holster. The "same" trigger system for both my duty and BUG had a lot of appeal to me. Then I got to talk to folks who had them for reviews prior to release. Zero people recommended it. One, a member here who doesn't post much any longer, offered the chance to shoot one with kind of a "you can shoot this one before it goes back...but keep expectations real low" sort of conversation. The feedback was so bad I didn't even bother to make the range trip.

Ernest Langdon sexes up a version with a trigger job, different springs, and a pinch of EL magic and while I'm sure it's a fine gun it's also a lot of money for what's still a Springfield.
    I did the Langdon trigger on mine; it’s much improved.
    Never let anything mechanical know that you are in a hurry.

User Tag List