Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Why aren't there better sub-compact DA/SA options?

I think the P224 was introduced too late. Reliability issues aside. By the time is was introduced (2011) the concept of ultra slim subcompacts were starting to float around. The Shield came out in 2012 and basically had instant success or thereabouts. I don’t think many people wanted a double stack, 29oz subcompact-ish pistol when they could just buy a P229 for the same money. Not to mention by 2011/2012 a lot of places were ditching or had already ditched DA/SA platforms for cheaper plastic striker guns- Glock and M&P, for the most part.

For awhile, I was running a P2000sk LEM. I thought it might be the "one ring to rule them all" gun for my EDC. Big enough to shoot decently well, but small for concealment. The issue that was the deal breaker was that it was just too thick. It did not conceal any better than the full size P2000, and not as well as the bigger PX4cc.

A single stack PX4cc or a single stack P2000sk would truly be the uber gun for me. And I also know that neither will ever be made, and most likely nothing approaching them will either. There just is not enough demand to justify it.

IF the XDe had sold overwhelming numbers, a number of companies would have jumped on the bandwagon. But it has not, and they will not. And so I continue to balance carry between the carry size gun and the snub to fill my needs.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    For awhile, I was running a P2000sk LEM. I thought it might be the "one ring to rule them all" gun for my EDC. Big enough to shoot decently well, but small for concealment. The issue that was the deal breaker was that it was just too thick. It did not conceal any better than the full size P2000, and not as well as the bigger PX4cc.

A single stack PX4cc or a single stack P2000sk would truly be the uber gun for me. And I also know that neither will ever be made, and most likely nothing approaching them will either. There just is not enough demand to justify it.

IF the XDe had sold overwhelming numbers, a number of companies would have jumped on the bandwagon. But it has not, and they will not. And so I continue to balance carry between the carry size gun and the snub to fill my needs.
    Cecil any thoughts on why the PX4cc conceals better? Is it the rounded back end of the slide?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Cecil any thoughts on why the PX4cc conceals better? Is it the rounded back end of the slide?

I think so. Along with a more general roundness of the entire pistol.

I was carrying a P07 and put on a PX4cc in the exact same holster (both in a Keepers) so it was a true apples to apples comparison, and it was freakish how much better the Beretta was hidden. Lay the two guns down side by side and the look like they have the identical footprint, but the concealment is night and day.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Sig should try the P224 concept with the P239!!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I wish I’d never sold the first P239 that I had. Sadly SIG has decided, probably rightly, that their time and money is best spent on striker fired models. I’ll be very very surprised to see any DA/SA line extensions or new models from them.

I would like to see a polymer frame P225 before I see that. It’ll never happen though. I think we might see a resurgence in the popularity of metal framed guns. Polymer guns were designed to be carried more than they’re shot, which is a valid analysis of both general civilian, military and law enforcement pistol use. Personally, I don’t think very many poly guns hold a candle to shooting a well designed metal framed pistol. Just my opinion.

ETA: I’m not implying polymer guns aren’t durable or anything of that nature.

Site Supporter
    So that would be... a p239 with a shorter grip?

Interesting. Maybe take a half inch off the slide too. You’d something rami sized, but single stack. Cool.

It’d be kinda like a CS9, really. I guess that’s probably ultimate DA/SA carry 9.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've got a P245 and a covey of P220s. I am a fan.
    I like the 245 but it just doesn't seem to hold enough rounds. I much prefer the 220.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Tda sucks and the die hard sub compact guy isn’t going to train enough to master it

And tda sucks.
    I couldn't say whether this is true but I do think that this perception is the reason there haven't been more options.

I think TDA guns have a decade plus of Glock and glock-knockooff supremacy to overcome in the minds of a lot of buyers and it's only been recently that mainstream buyers are starting to look at other options.

The whole "one trigger pull" thing is pretty seductive. I think it's mostly boredom with Glocks that's stirring the market a bit.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List