Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If a person wanted to try a P250 in 2021...

Sig = garbage.

Why bother?

I went through this thought process 4-5 years ago. I ended up with a Beretta 92D DAO. It was a better choice for me, considering the price of magazines. The limitations on the older 92D pistols (fixed front sight, often with dead trijicon night sights, and no rail) have been addressed with the recent 92D release. I’d go that direction, today.

The one difference that would lead me to a P250 is that I heard the triggers are more like 5.5-6 lbs, while the beretta is more like 8-9 lbs.

I’ve never seen a real live P250, so I don’t know if the trigger claims are true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Sig = garbage.

Why bother?
    Nobody is allowed on your lawn, right?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I went through this thought process 4-5 years ago. I ended up with a Beretta 92D DAO. It was a better choice for me, considering the price of magazines. The limitations on the older 92D pistols (fixed front sight, often with dead trijicon night sights, and no rail) have been addressed with the recent 92D release. I’d go that direction, today.

The one difference that would lead me to a P250 is that I heard the triggers are more like 5.5-6 lbs, while the beretta is more like 8-9 lbs.

I’ve never seen a real live P250, so I don’t know if the trigger claims are true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A few of the people I’m thinking would be using this have smaller hands. I can’t comfortably handle a 92 (I can do it effectively, though - kinda like my late wife’s G21) so I don’t think one would be a good choice for them.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A few of the people I’m thinking would be using this have smaller hands. I can’t comfortably handle a 92 (I can do it effectively, though - kinda like my late wife’s G21) so I don’t think one would be a good choice for them.
    I can't argue with that. However, the current 92D has the vertec frame, which helps (a little) with the trigger reach. Overall, I think the P250 with a small frame would be smaller, based on my experience owning a P320.

My son bought the first P250 he could get his hands on when they were introduced. Like so many other original P250s, it quickly developed light hammer strikes that progressed to being totally unable to fire a round. The gun went back to SIG and was replaced and my son sold the replacement. SIG did not issue a statement about what was wrong with the first P250s, but I doubt the shape of the mag base and bottom of the grip frame had a lot to do with the loss of hammer force. At any rate, SIG fixed the problem and I have not heard about any significant problems with the second generation P250.

I bought a P320 shortly after they were introduced and it had a very sweet, short, light trigger. In fact, in my opinion the trigger was a bit too delicate for teaching new shooters. I bought a P250 for trigger training and dry-fire practice. Yes, the trigger stroke was long, but it was very smooth and about 6 pounds on my first P250 (hint, hint). Over time I found the P250 to be so comfortable, consistent, and reliable that I began using it as my nightstand gun (and still do).

As far as training, there is also an advantage to being able to use the same grip frame and the exact same firing mechanism to progress from .22LR through .380ACP, 9MM, .40S&W and .357SIG up to .45ACP.
    Last edited by gc70; 12-06-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I had an early 250 and that seems about right. I never gauged it, but it was really, really light. Pretty smooth, too. I remember thinking that I would have to pay someone with benos name recognition a big sack of cash to get a S&W revolver there. It had extraction issues that required a trip back to sig. They seemingly fixed it, but I sold it with disclosure.

If I had it to do over again, I'd still sell it.

Outside of the 92D the only real analogue is a LEM HK with the light FPB spring. There's still some Colt-ish stacking that you notice if you're milking the trigger but it doesn't show up at speed. And it's an HK, as opposed to an out of production Sig that the factory may or may not service. I keep thinking I'll try the nickel sear spring or heavy trigger spring to see if it does anything about the stacking but never have gotten around to it.

My P250 trigger was 6 lb 11 oz, measured with a digital Lyman gauge.

A PX4 Compact Type D might be another similar option, with the interchangeable backstraps it'd probably be better for small hands than a 92D. Soft shooting, too. Not sure if many were made in that configuration...I think you could just take the sear out of a regular one, though you'd still have the levers on the slide. Can't find the slip of paper with the DA pull weights from the Langdon PX4C's I once had but I think it was pretty similar to the P250.

While I see the appeal and simplicity of a light DA pull for introducing new shooters, as I think about it I wonder if a Glock 44 might be a better option overall, with the easy transition to the 19 for centerfire. Say someone starts on the P250 and loves it, then what? Not quite as easy for them to go buy their own, so then they have to shop around and/or learn a different platform. If the smaller hands belong to kids then that's a different situation, but I'm not sure kids would find even a light DA trigger easy to manage compared to say a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 (which also has a pretty slim grip).

Whatever you end up with, hope it works out well for you and the folks you work with!

I have two P250c's in 9mm. One is my duty gun, and one is a trainer, both with the small grip frame. Naturally, shortly after my adoption, Sig got the .mil contract and dropped the 250 to focus on 320 production....story of my life.

The good is that the 250 shares a lot of parts with the 320...grip modules, magazines, barrels.....there are obvious differences in slides and FCU's with the SFA v. hammer-fired systems. I see no reason why the Wilson modules wouldn't fit.

The bad is that proprietary parts and tools are drying up. I'd really like to find a couple of short-reach triggers for mine, but haven't found them available anywhere.

I'm leaning toward switching to a 1911 as a duty gun, but I'm not there yet.

I will say that folks who had been issued a legacy DAO P226 are amazed at the difference in triggers when they shoot my P250.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I have two P250c's in 9mm. One is my duty gun, and one is a trainer, both with the small grip frame. Naturally, shortly after my adoption, Sig got the .mil contract and dropped the 250 to focus on 320 production....story of my life.

The good is that the 250 shares a lot of parts with the 320...grip modules, magazines, barrels.....there are obvious differences in slides and FCU's with the SFA v. hammer-fired systems. I see no reason why the Wilson modules wouldn't fit.

The bad is that proprietary parts and tools are drying up. I'd really like to find a couple of short-reach triggers for mine, but haven't found them available anywhere.

I'm leaning toward switching to a 1911 as a duty gun, but I'm not there yet.

I will say that folks who had been issued a legacy DAO P226 are amazed at the difference in triggers when they shoot my P250.
    I picked up a first gen nickel slide 9mm compact a few years ago for a good price.
    Got a 2nd gen small grip module, slide stop, and 2nd gen mag floor plates.
    Ran about a K of mostly ball and two mags of Ranger T through it and no problems at all.
    Trigger pull is, in my opinion, perfect for a defense firearm.
    Too bad SIG didn’t do a successful rollout of this model.
    I am searching locally for a reasonably priced second one.

User Tag List