Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Instructor's Challenge

I know you said suggestions other than "Punt", but I still vote for Punt.

We cannot force students who do not want to be there, to want to be there. I don't like wasting my time or energy, and unless there were enough elements in the equation to justify talking to brick walls, I would pass it to someone else who wanted to teach to less than motivated attendees.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I know you said suggestions other than "Punt", but I still vote for Punt.

We cannot force students who do not want to be there, to want to be there. I don't like wasting my time or energy, and unless there were enough elements in the equation to justify talking to brick walls, I would pass it to someone else who wanted to teach to less than motivated attendees.
    Fair Enough. Let's say they have some motivation to be there (it is required for the job and they want the job).

Let me pose it to YOU in a specific way: lets say you and coworkers are tasked to go into a village and train the villagers to defend themselves. You have 1 day prior to being tasked elsewhere. You have a classroom and the local garbage dump for a range. Ruger has been nice enough to give you guys a crate of P89 pistols and suitable training ammo. What do you teach them so that they will have half a chance of defending themselves when the insurgents come into town

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I wasn't saying to set an attitude. Setting an attitude, or developing a warrior mindset in someone with zero interest is not going to happen in 8 hours unless you pull a day of Hunger Games on them.

I'm just saying to get them to pay attention. I think it's much more realistic. Given the topic at hand, videos of people dying doing what they're going to do will be one method effective at that. If it was a death-by-powerpoint safety, teamwork or EO session, then videos of Terry Tate: Office Linebacker would be more appropriate.

Developing a warrior mindset, or setting an attitude, is waaaaayyyyyy down the line for these people. First, let's get them to pay attention so they don't shoot each other on accident and know how to handle a firearm. That's a way more realistic expectation for 8 hours of training.
    Perhaps this is semantics, but I would say you showing them a film such as you suggested is attempting to shift their attitude from one of passive non-compliance to at least one of passive compliance.

Meaning, you showing them or telling them that they can be killed on the job is an attempt at shaking them out of complacency. Ergo, IMO, a shift in attitude.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

We are diminished
    If you're talking about people who won't practice in a meaningful way afterwards, I'd focus very little on shooting and nothing on using the sights. I'd probably skip the two-handed grip altogether, too. Reloading? Sure, but just enough that they can do it safely. Same with clearing malfunctions... in one day they'll never build the skill adequately to pull it off preconsciously so you've got to spend your resources where they'll do the most good.

If they're being trained for a very specific purpose ("how to guard this bank" or "how to hold this doorway") then I'd try to focus as much as possible on the particular environment and tactics they may need. Effort needs to go into easily learned and easily retained skills, not things that we normally think of in terms of mastery long term.

I'd try to do a little FOF if possible especially if their operating environment or reasonable facsimile is available. This will hopefully build confidence as well as provide a visceral taste of the mindset stuff you're trying to build. If you haven't read Training at the Speed of Life by Ken Murray, do so.

If you need to worry about assembly and disassembly, cleaning, safe storage, etc. understand that can eat up a lot of time.

Otherwise, to echo Sean, my response is "punt." I've never seen harder working people than typical LE FIs who are forced to deal with the rank & file for whom firearms training is seen as something between punishment and barely tolerated job requirement.

Site Supporter
    "I've never seen harder working people than typical LE FIs who are forced to deal with the rank & file for whom firearms training is seen as something between punishment and barely tolerated job requirement." Todd

The most common on the job injury among police firearms instructors is a bad back from continually lowering the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Fair Enough. Let's say they have some motivation to be there (it is required for the job and they want the job).

Let me pose it to YOU in a specific way: lets say you and coworkers are tasked to go into a village and train the villagers to defend themselves. You have 1 day prior to being tasked elsewhere. You have a classroom and the local garbage dump for a range. Ruger has been nice enough to give you guys a crate of P89 pistols and suitable training ammo. What do you teach them so that they will have half a chance of defending themselves when the insurgents come into town
    Let me chew on that for a few.............I don't know that I have a good answer, but I will think about it for some time and see what kind of solution or partial solution I can come up with.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

Now that is a very interesting question.

2 hours classroom , 6 range
    focus on dealing with typical criminal threats ?

Im no instructor, but 2 hours for basics of firearm safety and familiarization, dry fire
    fly in SN , 4 hour MUC
    2 hours shooting from retention through extension at a IPSC target inside 5 yards
    Pittsburgh, PA host for www.aliastraining.com , and www.shivworks.com

www.anti-fragile.net

What do you teach them so that they will have half a chance of defending themselves when the insurgents come into town
    Camouflage techniques.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I'm not a firearms instructor and I've never played one on Youtube.... but I do have a lot of experience in post-secondary education. Reminds me a lot of teaching public speaking.

Pupils who are there because they have to be? Check
    They have little to no interest in the subject matter? Check
    It's a topic that could be very important to them in the future? Check (though much less important)

In situations like this where people aren't necessarily interested in what your'e saying, they have really short attention spans. I could spend all day taking a firearms class or Jiu-Jitsu seminar without losing focus, but if I had to sit through a 8 hour class on APA style citations [insert topic here] I would lose focus pretty quickly.

Provide credibility early on in case any of them don't accept you as a SME. Provide a quick preview of how the class will go (we learn better when we know the lesson plan in advance) and review the points at the end.

Maybe create a competition if allowed? They may not be into shooting, but a lot of people are very competitive. Let them know the best shooter/most improved/highest score will win a [insert something they would actually want here]. Perhaps you could create some sort of challenge and a certificate. People are motivated by the strangest things. Teams help with peer pressure to perform.

Keep in mind they will only remember about 1/3 of what you say in the good cases. Repeat the important points several times in the simplest form as possible.

Find a way to emphasize how important it will be to them. Videos of robberies, personal stories and the idea above about thinking of someone close is awesome. One idea is to ask them about a time they felt threatened or unable to help themselves or another person. The act of describing this will help create that mindset and invokes emotion fear/anger and is more effective then you might think. Emotion is a powerful short term motivator.

Try to limit any segment to 30 minutes or less. That means break up any instruction you have into ~20 minute segments. Videos, demonstrations, humor and anything to get them interacting is a great way to break it up. It's easy to lose track of time when your'e in front of a class.

Provide them with clear notes so they can focus on listening and not writing. It also gives them something to take home and use if they do choose to practice on their own.

Use visual aids and include as much interaction as possible.

If you use powerpoint keep the slides light (if your'e using complete sentences you're doing it wrong) and DON'T read the slides to the class.

User Tag List