Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: An Instructor's Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    While she in convinced that a Monsanto conspired death awaits her behind every non-organic vegetable or Big Mac, in talking to her it seems she does not believe or refuses to believe that there are two legged predators out there who would like nothing more than to do bad things to her and her family if given the opportunity.
    Is she a reader? Can you assign some homework? My two cents - you might get further on changing perceptions and mindset by lending her a copy of Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear or a similar text.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Tagged.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Good points, all.

I wanted to ask about the quote above. Is providing all the notes better than providing just an outline and having students fill in the notes? I find that I retain info much better if I have to paraphrase it into my notes.

When I teach Texas CHL, I emphasize the important information and give time for note taking on those slides. I don't hand out notes.

I've been in classes (not firearms related) where the instructor went over the material, we all took notes furiously, then at the end of the class he passed out a copy of the whole presentation. That seemed to work well for my learning style.

What say you, fellow instructors?

Gringop
    It really depends on what kind of learner they are. Count on any classroom having auditory, visual and kinesthetic learners and your lesson plan has to have something for all of them. Additionally, people tend to remember only about 1/3 of what you tell them (when they're not particularly motivated) so it's good to repeat the important points in each way.

In my experience, people retain the material best when they are provided with the notes and encouraged to add their own to it. As said before, a studious person will make the effort to listen, write and process the material but most people simply won't take notes. Moreover, the person who splits their attention between listening and writing will retain and process significantly less of the information.

The above only works if your notes/slides are aids to the material and not a script. As soon as you start reading slides or notes to people you lose them. It really depends on how you use the notes as to how effective they are.

All this is moot point now, but just wanted to clarify.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Was able to talk with my colleague and his wife today - I'm bringing in the special team. I explained my concerns and told them I didn't think I would be able to get her up to speed in one day. We decided to shelve the "crash course" and instead just work on the "fun" side of shooting by going out to the range as a group and shooting .22s first in a relaxed setting. I have a Mosquito which should at least mimic the guns he has for HD and as time goes she may open up more to getting real training. The interesting thing from a mindset thing in talking with her is that I was wrong in just assuming that she had the "kumbia" view of the world, almost the opposite - the thought of violent people doing bad things when her husband is away makes her so upset she just doesn't want to think about it or face it.

However, the intent of my OP was not a "how to teach a friends wife how to shoot thread." I posted it because I am curious about how much can be taught to a person in one day. It has been established that motivation will be a big factor. I recall from my CSAT class that Paul Howe said that the material is what he would teach his family or soldiers if they had to go into harms way, but he had a largely motivated group of students and 2 day to do it. So I guess the question still remains, if you had one day to teach a group of people with little to no firearms experience how to defend themselves with a firearm, what would you teach and how would you go about it?
    - what would be the expected end results, for instance passing something like the Texas CHL range qual?

- would it be ethical to advertise such a class to the general public?

I am still very interested to hear SeanM's answer to the scenario about training villagers to defend against insurgents. For established instructors it could come from a store owner wanting you to teach his employees how to use the store pistol. For most of us, this situation will fall along similar lines as it has for me or when a friend/family member shows you their new gun and asks you for a down and dirty. Lastly for those who like SHTF fantasy, it is D+1 and you now have a bunch of neighbors asking you how to protect themselves from the roving goblins.

Either way, you-all's help and answers have been a wealth of information to me.

shooting .22s first in a relaxed setting
    Good idea. I've taken a buddies wife out a time or three (different ladies). While Mindset is a bit like curly hair (you have it or you don't), I've found that focusing on Manipulation gives the non-dedicated student (NDS) a solid base. Once the NDS is comfortable with the load, unload and clear process, you can gently steer them into Marksmanship and a bit of Tactics.

Other considerations, especially here, is keeping things light, enjoyable and comfortable. We have a big issue here with heat, so my range sessions are short and sweet.

Additionally, once they have Manipulation down, I don't hover around them. I do stay close enough (like a good RO) to assist.

User Tag List