Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chromebook External WiFi Antenna?

Well, the Chromebook didn't seem to recognize the dongle, which is fun to say, but doesn't really help.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Crappy possible solution. Is an ethernet cable out of the question? Plug it in when she's working and stow it when finished? I know...it sucks, but there would be no connectivity issues with a cable. That's assuming said Chromebook even has a network port, which I don't know as I've never touched one.

ETA: Your ATT Gateway will likely have ethernet ports in the back. I'm assuming that too, but years ago when I had an ATT gateway it had 4 of them.

No ethernet ports on the Chromebook

ETA: if I get really (really) desperate, I could get an ethernet to USB converter and see if that works.

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Well, the Chromebook didn't seem to recognize the dongle, which is fun to say, but doesn't really help.
    Which dongle, specifically?

Did it come with instructions for ChromeOS? If so, what did they say?

My understanding is that ChromeOS is a flavor of Linux, meaning it's very unlikely anything is "plug and play". That concept doesn't carry over from the Windows world. For example, here's the commands I used to install the rtl8822 drivers for my Realtec USB 3.0 WiFi dongle.

sudo apt-get install git dkms
    mkdir ~/rtl8822
    cd ~/rtl8822
    git clone https://github.com/jeremyb31/rtl8822bu.git
    sudo dkms add ./rtl8822bu
    sudo dkms install 8822bu/1.1
    sudo modprobe 8822bu

This uses a series of commands to allow you to install the drivers via Dynamic Kernel Module Support, dkms, a framework in Linux that allows you to modify the kernel in real time (such as to install drivers.) Git is a repository of freeware, where the drivers are located. sudo is a Unix command that allows you to execute commands with root privilege. This is not exactly for the faint of heart.

Does any of that make sense? To be honest, I'm not even sure you can do this kind of stuff on ChromeOS, I've never even seen a Chromebook.

But here's an idea, Can you insert the Wifi dongle, open a terminal window on the Chromebook and type "lsusb"? That should list all the active usb devices.

Do that and post the results back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    No ethernet ports on the Chromebook

ETA: if I get really (really) desperate, I could get an ethernet to USB converter and see if that works.
    Just in case anyone other than me cared, this problem bubbled up again for my wife. I did end up buying a USB-to-ethernet converter and running a (long) cable to my router. It worked swimmingly, wife happy (and that's all that matters).

User Tag List