Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: reliability and safety of Sharkbite plumbing fittings

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I remember the removal tool from before, and they seem to include it with some of the items. But the installation tool is new info, and very helpful - I’ve only done crocus cloth cleanup like you’d do with sweating a joint, a good deburring is probably essential. Thanks!
    Don't trust me but I did read that you aren't supposed to clean the copper that well as the Sharkbite will adhere better to a "rough" surface rather than a shiny one.

The tool only deburrs the outside of the pipe. I took a small utility knife and just broke the edge of the inner pipe to clean it up. Sort of like stropping a blade instead of forward honing, if that makes any sense to you. Basically, scraping backwards instead of cutting into the copper...just to break the edge of the inner pipe.

Good info - thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I remember the removal tool from before, and they seem to include it with some of the items. But the installation tool is new info, and very helpful - I’ve only done crocus cloth cleanup like you’d do with sweating a joint, a good deburring is probably essential. Thanks!
    The ones I got sometimes included a "U" type tool. After I had trouble with my weak fingers, I found I could use channel locks or a vise grip behind the tool to help. I had my 15 year old grand daughter install the Shark Bites because she wants to learn stuff.

I just used a file to break the sharp edges after the pipe was cut.

I've sold 10's of thousands of them over the years. I've used dozens. They are good to go. The only thing you simply cannot do is side load them. The only failures we've seen can be directly traced to misalignment of the pipes and a significant side load on the fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I've sold 10's of thousands of them over the years. I've used dozens. They are good to go. The only thing you simply cannot do is side load them. The only failures we've seen can be directly traced to misalignment of the pipes and a significant side load on the fitting.
    These would be going into existing straight runs, so I think I’m likely good. If I get displacement when I cut the line, I’ll anchor them in good alignment. And no matter what I will be bracing them to prevent rotation.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

These would be going into existing straight runs, so I think I’m likely good. If I get displacement when I cut the line, I’ll anchor them in good alignment. And no matter what I will be bracing them to prevent rotation.
    You'll be fine. Folks try to cram them into walls with bad alignment. Out in the open with a nice straight run they are great.

Sharkbite and Pex saved my life while fixing the plumbing in the motorhome.

Make sure your lines are the correct length between fittings. Length isn't critical, but it is important.

Don't do like my uncle and install the pressure regulator backwards. Fortunately, the Sharkbite removal tool makes it easy to correct such mistakes.

Silver solder makes a better and more economical joint, but the line must be clean and dry. Slightest bit of water and the copper won't get hot enough for the solder to flow. You'll also need heat blankets to prevent setting the place on fire.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have $190.10 worth of parts and tools in my shopping cart, just waiting for confirmation that the water heater feedline is 3/4”... that includes the new expansion tank. I had a hard time finding the all metal pressure regulator (most have polymer caps) but Sharkbite referred me to an online dealer.
    Ken

I have $190.10 worth of parts and tools in my shopping cart, just waiting for confirmation that the water heater feedline is 3/4”... that includes the new expansion tank. I had a hard time finding the all metal pressure regulator (most have polymer caps) but Sharkbite referred me to an online dealer.
    Go measure the inlet line with a pair of calipers
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Go measure the inlet line with a pair of calipers
    My arm isn’t 1023 miles long, so... it’s tough doing this from a distance, but I want to have everything on hand when I get there in two weeks.

She was able to determine it’s 3/4”.
    Ken

User Tag List