View Poll Results: Would you trust a P365?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Absolutely, 100%

38 33.93%
  • Yes, I think so.

19 16.96%
  • I'm not sure either way, really.

16 14.29%
  • Probably not.

27 24.11%
  • Definitely not!

12 10.71%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P365?

Site Supporter
    I followed the threads discussing the P365 when it first came out, and waited about a year to get one. I bought it because 1) handling both the P365 and G43 at the 2019 NRA Annual Meeting showed me that the G43 gives up 4 rounds for very little size advantage, 2) the Indiana State Police selected it as an issued backup gun around that time, and 3) Pat Kelley did one of his "Out Of The Box And To The Match" reviews, and was impressed.

With 10 round magazines and flat basepads, it is a game changer for pocket carry. With carefully selected pants and an Aholster pocket holster, it can be suitable for NPE carry.

With 12 round magazines, it works very well for IWB carry. It splits the capacity difference between my G26 and G19 while being thinner than both. When carried IWB with 12 round magazines, it conceals very close to the same degree as a G26 with 10 round magazines, but provides a full 3 finger grip.

Given the current COVID/BLM/Antifa/post-election craziness, I am frequently carrying my G19. However, for most of this year my P365 has been my most commonly carried gun.

Mine has a low round count, but has been accurate and easy to shoot well.

I have heard from unverified and unvetted sources that the P365 was drop tested much more extensively by Sig than the P320, but cannot say that this is definitely the case. I have not come across any instances of accidental discharges due to a P365 being dropped.

I am glad I waited until the bugs were worked out before buying, but I am glad I bought mine.

I just wish a gadget-type device was available...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I picked up a used XL a while back and it has been nothing but reliable, surprisingly accurate, and not too bad to shoot for a small gun. But since it didn't have a thumb safety I didn't carry it. You know how 1911 guys have to have their security blanket.

Anyway, last night I put a thumb safety in it and will be burning up some of my precious 9mm stash to vet it for carry. I really wish the thumb safety was longer but I think that will just be a training issue.

Mine does not have a high round count, but has 1500 consecutive trouble-free rounds. And I shoot mine better than any similar compact pistol I've tried, even better than my previous Shield that had an Apex trigger. Combine reliable function, better trigger, and higher capacity--for me this has been a pretty awesome compact.

Have loved my 365 and continue to carry it most of the time. Have gotten rid of my 320’s though. I just can’t find anything else that gives me the same versatility as a 365 switching between 10 round, 10 round with pinky, 12 round, and 15 round for reloads does.

I voted Yes 100%. Why? Because I own both a 365 and xl. The regular is my carry gun so I already do trust my life to it. The mean rounds between failure on the 2 guns is over 500 (closer to 1000 than 500) and that seems acceptable to me for a carry gun.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

My wife pulled her 365 out today, at the end of a CO practice session. Says it easier to shoot the lint off than wipe it down.

First shot some zero verification shots at a small square, and then some faster shooting at a circle.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Student
    Probably not. I bought one of the first of the Gen 2s and couldn't feed a single magazine through it without problems. That was after having to send a 320 in for the voluntary upgrade so I decided to cut my losses.

At this point I think an LCR would be better suited to what I was wanting anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Dead Trigger?

Can you create a "dead trigger" situation, a la a VP9, on a P365/XL by striking it with a mallet, or falling on it onto the ground, striking the rear of the slide say on concrete?
    To my knowledge, no one credible has experienced a dead VP9 trigger by “falling on it onto the ground”. I tend to avoid mallets in my trousers while carrying AIWB.

My P365 has close to 20,000 rounds through it and before covid was eating about 1,000 rounds a month. It has gone back to sig 3 times:

1) failures to extract with a variety of cheap ammo, right out of the box. Sig polished some things and it helped, but it still isn't what I think it should be (my PM9 has never had a fte with the same ammo). I've never had a fte with nickel or quality brass in the P365, but cheaper slightly out of saami spec stuff like champion brass will still fte every 500 hundred rounds or so unless I clean religiously. Steel cased winchester chokes every few magazines, and Independence & champion aluminum lasts an average of a couple hundred rounds between ftes.

2) Gas cutting on the breech face necessitated a slide replacement around 7,000 rounds, probably caused by the aforementioned diet of cheap ammo. Slides have been revised multiple times since then.

3) The trigger return spring fatigued to the point it became disconnected at around 15,000 rounds, resulting in a dead trigger that would not reset unless you inverted the gun. I'd replace all the springs at least every 10,000 rounds in addition to the manual's recommended 2,500 round interval for the recoil spring assembly (which I followed religiously - and do notice the difference in feel when it returns to battery on a fresh spring). I'd also replace mag springs every year or so if you're shooting a lot and really care about slide lock.

I have had just about every reported stoppage except a broken striker (ironically mine is still the original from the time period where some were bad) and, aside from a very rare failure to slide lock, I don't have any issues now when reasonably clean and fed good ammo. I do trust it when carried that way, but I wouldn't expect it to pass the 2,000 round challenge with what I used to call Walmart range fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Does the P365/XL have a fully tensioned striker?
    My understanding is yes. I do not see how activating the trigger can cock the striker any further, and the amount it is precocked is sufficient to pop a primer if the striker block failed somehow.

With a functioning striker block, the only way I could see a accidental mechanical discharge is if the striker broke either at the sear or in the dead center of the striker at its thinnest point. If the striker broke at the later, I don't think it would retain enough mass to pop a primer. But if the striker broke at the sear when tensioned I'd expect a bang.

Virtually all of the broken strikers were at the tip where you would have a failure to fire, but I've come across 3 broken strikers online that could potentially have caused a discharge, 1 broke in the center so there was nothing to prevent the front half from springing forward into the primer:

And two broke on the sear surface "foot" thingamajig which scarily is the primary point of engagement with the striker block:

Name:  download-1.jpeg
Views: 1870
Size:  24.8 KBName:  download.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  24.3 KB

Dead Trigger?

Can you create a "dead trigger" situation, a la a VP9, on a P365/XL by striking it with a mallet, or falling on it onto the ground, striking the rear of the slide say on concrete?
    Never heard of it. But you can create a dead trigger if you go 15,000 rounds (plus at least as many dry fires) on the original trigger reset spring...

Ever hear of any ND/ADs with a P365/XL?
    One: user error reholstering into a pocket-carried sticky holster.

Bent ejector?

With the P365/XL, is it possible to be over enthusiastic in inserting a magazine, and consequently bending the ejector up, as can happen with the P320? Am I correct in saying the ejector on a P365/XL is the same approach as on the P320, that is, the ejector is an extension of the FCU body itself and not a separate field replaceable component as say part of the Trigger Mechanism Housing on a Glock?
    The ejector is integrated into the fcu and I believe if you were to slam one of the various extended magazines with the XL baseplates into a standard p365 you could bend the ejector. With the correct base plates I don't think you could without really being a hammer ass.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 12-09-2020 at 02:55 AM.

User Tag List