View Poll Results: Would you trust a P365?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Absolutely, 100%

38 33.93%
  • Yes, I think so.

19 16.96%
  • I'm not sure either way, really.

16 14.29%
  • Probably not.

27 24.11%
  • Definitely not!

12 10.71%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trust a P365?

Would you trust a P365?

So I've been asking for thoughts on this topic on a number of the other P320 / Sig threads and decided to try and consolidate my questions in one place. I've included a simple five choice poll to gather some overall thoughts, but I would appreciate any inputs on any of the various topics below.

My rationale for starting this thread is that we've owned a P365 since last year. So far, it's been reliable and accurate. It was my wife's choice for a new carry gun, after she evaluated a number of options. She shoots it well. I previously owned a P365XL, which I ended up selling for reasons other than safety.

What's been bugging me however is whether the P365/P365XL is subject to any or the various issues regarding safety in terms of what you see with the P320. Our little blaster is accurate, and very handy in a pocket holster or JM CM IWB3. It carries like a small gun but shoots well. I find it a bit too small for my Size M/L grip, but I shoot it ok.

Here are the things I am interested in:

P365/XL FCU Design vs. P320 FCU Design

Is the P365/P365XL FCU simply a scaled down P320 FCU? Or are they fundamentally different? Especially in relation to safety considerations. Does the P365/XL have the same issues with the striker return spring being subject to being buggered up, or in need of replacement, as you hear about with the P320?

Does the P365/XL have a fully tensioned striker?

Again, just for clarification, does the Sig P365 have a fully tensioned striker, such that trigger movement is just "dropping" the trigger bar sear out of the way, and the striker goes forward? I guess I am comparing it to a Glock, which as I understand (based on a limited understanding) the trigger actually first tensions the striker rearward or the the rest of the way, then it drops the sear.

I "think" the answer to this is yes, but I wanted to be sure.

Dead Trigger?

Can you create a "dead trigger" situation, a la a VP9, on a P365/XL by striking it with a mallet, or falling on it onto the ground, striking the rear of the slide say on concrete?

Ever hear of any ND/ADs with a P365/XL?

Has anyone ever heard of or experienced a negligent / accidental / unintentional discharge of a P365 or P365XL?

Bent ejector?

With the P365/XL, is it possible to be over enthusiastic in inserting a magazine, and consequently bending the ejector up, as can happen with the P320? Am I correct in saying the ejector on a P365/XL is the same approach as on the P320, that is, the ejector is an extension of the FCU body itself and not a separate field replaceable component as say part of the Trigger Mechanism Housing on a Glock?

Thanks for any input. Just to emphasize, I've tried to ask these questions separately, but I think to be fair to the ongoing P320 discussions, it's better to get them all in one place, and focus on the P365/XL exclusively.

I'm fine with being told, no, the P365/XL FCU design is fine, it doesn't have the same characteristics of the P320, and you should not worry about it. I come to this forum to get straight up unvarnished truth about firearms, and I hope to use this thread to get some clarity here.

I am not trying to invent a problem if there is not one. I am not a Sig hater. I am not here to bash the company, or it's CEO, or it's marketing approach. I just want to gather some input.

Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-04-2020 at 08:15 AM.

I've tried three different one's, mixed result with each. One even blew the back plate off when using duty ammo that was 124gr +P Speer Gold Dot. After re-assemblying, I sent it back for inspection and then later sold it.

I’ve been pretty curious about the 320, and now the 365 as I used to be all Sig with 226 / 239 carry guns before I switched to Glock to save weight.

I really like the idea of a full size and subcompact set of pistols like a G17/43, or 320/365.

I’ve had enough mechanical and ergonomic problems with Glocks that I am not super biased toward them and am always looking for a replacement.

That said...

I have never shot a 320, and have never even held a 365 due to the complete debacle that is the companies actions and their products.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I’ve been pretty curious about the 320, and now the 365 as I used to be all Sig with 226 / 239 carry guns before I switched to Glock to save weight.

I really like the idea of a full size and subcompact set of pistols like a G17/43, or 320/365.

I’ve had enough mechanical and ergonomic problems with Glocks that I am not super biased toward them and am always looking for a replacement.

That said...

I have never shot a 320, and have never even held a 365 due to the complete debacle that is the companies actions and their products.
    Why not an M&P 2.0 and shield?

I have been carrying either a standard 365 or an XL for at least a year now. I have run the XL through 2 classes and have had zero issues with the gun. I have about 2000+ rounds through it. I shoot it well, has decent capacity, I carry 2 15 round magazines for reloads. Not being on the job any longer, I find it fits my needs very well.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

While not an armorer for the 365/356XL, I have looked them over by field stripping them and I'm pretty sure there are multiple differences between them and the 320. I have fired about five or six different copies and can say that they have been accurate and reliable. I'm wanting to say (old and forgetful) that one of them had a failure to return to battery that worked itself out with a grip change as the shooter was inducing the malfunction but can't say for certain.

A 365XL I fired had the worst trigger ever and the owner wanted me to check it out. I'm wanting to say, that even with the gritty trigger, I was able to put up a high 90 at the twenty five yard line on a B8. I have found that for such a dinky pistol, they have all been very accurate at 25 yards.

I did see one with some corrosion issues (magazines, sights, barrel) and that seems to be the biggest drawback to them. I think the striker issues/dead trigger issues are sorted out now but I'm not sure on that. I'd like to take the armorer's course but there hasn't been one offered close to me that I am aware of.

It's popular here among my circle of shooters away from the department but at work, I haven't seen too many cops opt to get one as we offer a G43 as a back up if an officer so chooses. And our cops aren't shooters anyway, for the most part so spending their own money on a 365 probably isn't happening much. Or I'm out of the loop if it is.

And my social circle of folks may not be firing their 365s at a high rate...especially since we can't find ammo now.

I had planned on picking one up and running it hard this Christmas with my bonus......but, since I can't find the ammo, that isn't happening. My local shop typically has them in stock and for good prices but it's been some time since I checked and I wanted a cop price model which is a bit harder to find. I'd also take a used one if I can find one in the future just because I want to wring it out.

I've not heard of any ADs with them and I'm wanting to say that it has a different style ejector but I'm not sure on that either. I don't have one in front of me to look at.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    I voted 'not sure either way' because I think it's a mistake to assume future reliability in anything important even if you test it heavily. Because sometimes things break.
    I do have three 365s (carry, trainer, backup). One I've shot almost every week for a year and a half with the only issue related to magazine springs getting worn and causing HP feeding failures so I keep a separate set of carry mags. Due to some physical issues carrying anything heavier becomes a problem and it's the only way to get the high capacity and a decent manual safety. I shoot it well enough that I can routinely get 95+ on The Test from IWB.

But I totally get why many on this board would not trust anything new from SIG.
    Adam

I bought a 365 a little over a year after they came out. I was reluctant due to the 320 handling debacle but after handling one at a gun show I was willing to chance it. I have fired just under 2500 rounds through mine with no problems other than some people who shot it didn't get the slide to lock back on the last round. I chalk that up to grip. It does show some minor primer drag but not excessive or as pronounced as some pictures of others I have seen. I carry it most frequently and especially when I travel by air as it allows me to have a small gun with 10 rounds for restricted states and 12 for everywhere else as well as home state.

I have not heard of dead trigger, AD/NDs or bent ejector nor have I had any on my single sample.

I plan to pick up a 365XL when they are available again as I think it fits well between Glock 19,43X,48 size wise and I shoot the 43X 48 frame size so much better than any gun but the short RSA on the 48 doesn't help it where the longer RSA and heavier slide on the 365XL is purported to make it a nice shooter. I would like to see a full size 15 round length,4+" barrel 365XXL that takes the same basic mags and I might switch away from Glocks more fully.

I swapped my PC Shield for a 365 a couple years ago. I ran many hundreds of rounds through it to break it in with no issues, including HST 147 and 124+p, which is what I carry. I had it milled for a 507k several months ago and it still fits in my pocket in a Pocket Locker. I trust it more than my Hellcat, even though I've never had any issues with it, either.

I voted not sure either way. But I'm following this with great interest.

Maybe the folks who have voted "Definitely Not!" - Can tell us why they voted that way?

User Tag List