Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13 minutes with world record sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Very similar to my ptsd when it manifested when I got out. I'm glad the stigma around it has lessened over the years as it has led me to reaching out several guys I served with during my two deployments. Our stories of how it manifested, symptoms, and issues were almost exactly the same, to a man. Good on this guy for the job he did and being honest about his struggles because of it
    There’s a couple of people on here who’ve commented similarly. I feel like I owe all of you a debt of gratitude, and a really good pint of micro brew.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    There’s a couple of people on here who’ve commented similarly. I feel like I owe all of you a debt of gratitude, and a really good pint of micro brew.
    It has ups and downs, I luckily had a great woman who has stuck by my side and put a fire under my ass to get back on the level whenever I get low. With all of that said, I wouldn't change anything, serving and fighting for this nation has been a greatest honor of my life thus far besides being a father. I really appreciate the kind words.

Heavy.

There's a lot of parallels with Command Sergeant Major Tom Slattery's experience with PTS, as described in Slattery's book "All Secure" about his career with the unit. Even rehearing the suicide beforehand.

Andy Stumpf is also fairly candid about his issues with PTS on his podcast Cleared Hot.

Side note. I learned from All Secure that there's a growing movement to remove the "D" from PTSD. Apparently the condition is not a disorder, it's a common physiological reaction to severe and long duration stress. Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Heavy.

There's a lot of parallels with Command Sergeant Major Tom Slattery's experience with PTS, as described in Slattery's book "All Secure" about his career with the unit. Even rehearing the suicide beforehand.

Andy Stumpf is also fairly candid about his issues with PTS on his podcast Cleared Hot.

Side note. I learned from All Secure that there's a growing movement to remove the "D" from PTSD. Apparently the condition is not a disorder, it's a common physiological reaction to severe and long duration stress. Makes sense to me.
    Absolutely.

The country as a whole must step up and treat PTS...we send these guys to these shitholes, we need to bring them back and get them whole.

It's a debt of honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

That’s a great idea, and it’s absolutely how the VA in my area refers to the issue. PTS.

Further side note: Mike Glover has been pretty open about his difficulties on his various podcast projects.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Absolutely.

The country as a whole must step up and treat PTS...we send these guys to these shitholes, we need to bring them back and get them whole.

It's a debt of honor.
    Totally agree. There are so many resources put into making our military members better at fighting, but abysmally few resources devoted to really keeping them healthy across all the dimensions of health.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    That’s a great idea, and it’s absolutely how the VA in my area refers to the issue. PTS.

Further side note: Mike Glover has been pretty open about his difficulties on his various podcast projects.
    Yes, I was super impressed with Mike Glover's candor when he spoke on the Cleared Hot podcast with Andy Stumpf. When guys like them and Tom Slattery talk about this issue, it really helps: 1) publicize how common it is among war fighters, and 2) break down the stigma.

User Tag List