Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More HK45 mags vs. other needed gear?

More HK45 mags vs. other needed gear?

I'll just preface this by saying if this topic is not keeping in the spirit of what this forum is here for, I understand if it needs to be locked.

I recently bought and HK45 without realizing just how hard (and expensive) it was to get mags for it. I ordered two more for about $75 each, which gets me up to 4 mags total. I'm on the fence about getting more mags right now because while I'd like to have at least 8 mags for this gun, the cost of 4 more mags could get me other needed items like a quality holster and ammo. What would you guys recommend I do? I could probably afford to get both more mags and ammo right now, but I just don't feel that it is financially responsible for me to do so.

When you carry the gun for defense, do you carry a reload?

What holster are you using right now?

How often and in what quantity do you practice?
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Currently I have no holster for it (I've had this gun less than a week). I plan to carry a reload for it when I can carry it. Currently I practice very little with any of my pistols(maybe a couple hundreds rounds per month), but I would like to increase my practice schedule. I'm not sure how much yet, but I know I need to practice much more than I do.

Well, here is my take:

A holster, and ammo. I am a firm believer in having magazines used for carry, and practice magazines, so you will eventually need more magazines, but right now getting familiar/proficient with your new pistol is more important than anything else.

Thank you for the advice. I'll start looking into holsters and practice/carry ammo.

The only thing that kind of nags at me is that HK45 mags seem tough to get right now and I want to get what mags I can (even if that means overpaying). Like you said though becoming proficient with the gun is more important and I needed to be pushed into doing that rather than working on a mag stash. Once again thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 65k10 View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I'll start looking into holsters and practice/carry ammo.

The only thing that kind of nags at me is that HK45 mags seem tough to get right now and I want to get what mags I can (even if that means overpaying). Like you said though becoming proficient with the gun is more important and I needed to be pushed into doing that rather than working on a mag stash. Once again thank you.
    Sure.

By no means is my answer the only one, but even if we are made to endure another Assault Weapons ban/Mag Capacity ban (probably never gonna happen), HK45 magazines are 10 rounds, so that's a non issue (assuming the law is similar to the last one). Also, the HK45 is a relatively new gun, so there is no real concern of the magazines no longer being made. You can scrounge for magazines whenever you have a little spare cash.

Also, keep an eye on for sale sections of gun forums. I ended up with 15 M&P9 magazines, and I only remember buying 1 from a retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    That's a good point, but I don't have a bunch of HK45 mags in the back of my safe.
    I'm genuinely surprised by that.

I like to have a minimum of five mags as that seems to be about all I ever need for training classes (since HK45 mags only hold 10 rounds, you'll probably need more). But even if you had 500 mags, it wouldn't do you any good without a holster. At this point getting a holster, belt, and mag carrier should be your priority.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

First off, the HK magazine shortage is systemic across the HK product line. Why is this? We are experiencing a little bit of panic buying and HK only imports/manufacture certain products during a certain time of year. The HK45 and associated support equipment followed by the P30 9/.40 pistols and support equipment are very hard to come by, right now.

Having been an HK owner and user for more than a few years now I have noticed one thing, you don't need to stockpile magazines for these things like you would for other brands. HK magazines do not wear out. I have a set of four P30 magazines that have well over 20,000 rounds ran through them and they still function as good as day one. In addition, like previously mentioned, HK45 magazines are 10-round magazines and are not as susceptible to another AWB like we had from 1994-2004. Unless you find a compelling need to own more than four magazines at this time, move on to a decent holster and additional ammunition.

The availability and price of HK magazines will become more stabilized once people stop panic buying and FFL's stop price gouging based on supply and demand. If you must have additional magazines, Cross Creek Guns has the best prices on everything HK. Look him up, the owner's name is Mike.

I wasn't aware that HK mags did last that long.

I hate to say I already sort of ignored the advice given here, but I did happen to stumble on to a place last night that just got some mags in for a far more reasonable price than SGC (where I got my first two), so I ended up buying a few more. The price difference between buying four these for about $51 each versus buy four for $75 each from SGC is about enough to get me something like a safariland 6280. Ammo might have to wait a few weeks now, but I won't be able to shoot for a few weeks anyway. I suppose now I can stop worrying about mags and actually start to shooting the gun.
    Last edited by 65k10; 06-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.

User Tag List