Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got this .22lr POS and now need a scope advise

Got this .22lr POS and now need a scope advise

Name:  20201202_183521.jpg
Views: 1256
Size:  54.6 KB

Even the barrel looks wrong way.

I wanted this thing since I've seen it on the web. I've never owned a bolt action, I've never owned 22lr rifle, and I've never owned a takedown. This is supposedly the only rifle that has all three things, an Owyhee by Tacsol. I pasted the description below. I am gonna get a pic rail to mount the optic which will make it just above 4 lbs.
    So the question is: what scope do I put on? The LOP is short and I assume eye relief might be an issue. I also don't want anything heavy. Don't plan on shooting past 100.

ULTIMATE TAKEDOWN RIFLE! The OWYHEE™ (oh-WYE-hee) TAKEDOWN BOLT ACTION .22 RIFLE is a lightweight, compact, highly accurate, and collapsible rifle designed with the highest level of quality engineering and craftsmanship. Tactical Solutions’ Owyhee Takedown rifle is the only takedown bolt action .22 rifle available on the market.

• Lightweight: At 3.9 lbs, one of the lightest takedowns rifles available
    • Versatile Use: Perfect for backpacking, hunting, plinking, and target shooting
    • Threaded Barrel for Easy Silencer or Compensator Attachment: Threaded muzzle for thread-on silencer
    • Quick and easy collapsible engineering: Push of a button and twist mechanism for easy takedown and re-assembly
    • Open Sight System: Fiber Optic Front & Rear adjustable sights
    • Shoot with Accuracy: The barrel’s chromoly steel bore and target crown provide pinpoint accuracy
    • Behind-the-trigger safety: Ergonomic and safe; safety location behind the trigger
    • Noticeable Craftsmanship: Unique design & quality above all others
    • Easy Optics Attachment: Scope Rail available for easy scope attachment
    • The only .22LR bolt action takedown rifle available: This is a one-of-a-kind product with no replica’s
    • Quick and Easy Magazine Removal: Extended magazine release allows quick and easy magazine removal
    • Modified Magpul X-22 Backpacker Stock: Innovative stock design attaches the barrel assembly to the
    stock body for compact storage and packability

RIFLE SPECS:
    WEIGHT: 3.9 LBS
    BARREL LENGTH: 16.5”
    BARREL DIAMETER: 0.920”
    RATE of TWIST: 1:16”
    THREADS: 1/2” x 28
    CROWN: 11-Degree

RECEIVER FEATURES:
    Extended Magazine Release
    Durable Aluminum REceiver
    Stainless Steel Bolt
    Lightweight Fluted Barrel
    Chromoly steel bore
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I am fond of the Leupold 4X scopes on lightweight rimfires. This one is a FX-I 4x28mm so plenty bright. Weighs less than a pound with rings. https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-FX-I-.../dp/B003NZ9QKO

Another option for much less weight is something like the 2 MOA Aimpoint T-1 that comes in at four ounces.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Leupold has a 2-7 rimfire scope that gets good reviews too, if I remember correctly.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The current Leupold 2-7 rimfire is a x33. A little bigger and heavier, with warty turrets.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...freedom-2-7x33

Hmm... actually, that page says no longer in production.

I like the earlier discontinued 2-7x28. It's lighter and sleeker. Probably not the way to go if you're going to simulate long distance shooting and spin knobs, but nice for a compact like your takedown.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfi...mfire-2-7x28mm

I had a heck of a time finding one a year ago when they were half the price. Now that people are paying double for them, they're easy to find. Same deal with Sig P226 SSEs...

Apparently, there's a non-knobby-turret-having 2-7x33 in there, too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEUPOLD-VX-...T/303780678664
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-03-2020 at 12:12 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Here is a nice blast from the past, a Leupold M8-2.5X. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...o=ad&id=256693

I was wondering if the take down would hold zero with the scope on the receiver. Then I saw the price and thought it darn well better hold zero.

Does that use 10-22 mags?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I was wondering if the take down would hold zero with the scope on the receiver. Then I saw the price and thought it darn well better hold zero.

Does that use 10-22 mags?
    Yes, it uses the 10/22 magazines. The takedown X-Ring rifles hold zero pretty well. Not match accurate, but small-game hunting accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Yes, it uses the 10/22 magazines. The takedown X-Ring rifles hold zero pretty well. Not match accurate, but small-game hunting accurate.
    Good use case for a barrel-mounted Scout scope or red dot. Leupold makes a 1.5-4x24 Scout.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

There is a 10/22 take-down section on the Rimfire Central forum that has a lot of optic discussion. There is a short scope mentioned a lot but the name escapes me at the moment. I have a Ruger Backpacker myself and I’m pondering what to do about the sights. Right now I’m leaning toward the Skinner Sights barrel mounted peep sight.

Y U NO BOLTGUN
    #RESIST

User Tag List