Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coldbore Customs reduced glock grip question.

Coldbore Customs reduced glock grip question.

I am going to send my two glock 17s to get chopped to glock 19 length and stippled. I am torn if I want the grip reduced, I have medium size hands and have never really been a fan of the glock "hump". My other pistol platform I mess with is the 92 compact, thoughts on if I would like the reduced grip?

Site Supporter
    Anybody have the grip reduced to point like a 1911?

The below picture shows a G17.3 that Cold Bore Customs chopped to G26 length and stippled. I bought the stripped frame from Cold Bore Customs. The "Vickers" upper was separately sourced and a Glock armorer friend put it all together. I prefer the reduced grip circumference on Glock frames as it eliminates the "I shoot Glocks to the left" issue. That may be due to my small hands; not sure, but the end result works for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I am going to send my two glock 17s to get chopped to glock 19 length and stippled. I am torn if I want the grip reduced, I have medium size hands and have never really been a fan of the glock "hump". My other pistol platform I mess with is the 92 compact, thoughts on if I would like the reduced grip?
    If the Glock 17 is a Gen 1-4 it works fine. However, the Gen 5 the "flared mag-well" will be removed which adds a larger gap between receiver & magazine pad. I had Bowie do mine. Bowie does excellent work, it's just the gap I couldn't live with due to pinching little finger during reloads.. The pic in the prior posts looks nice, the Gen 5 will definitely not look this way. There will be a considerable gap.

Quote Originally Posted by HALO51 View Post
    If the Glock 17 is a Gen 1-4 it works fine. However, the Gen 5 the "flared mag-well" will be removed which adds a larger gap between receiver & magazine pad. I had Bowie do mine. Bowie does excellent work, it's just the gap I couldn't live with due to pinching little finger during reloads.. The pic in the prior posts looks nice, the Gen 5 will definitely not look this way. There will be a considerable gap.
    Since the OP is having the gun cut from 17 to 19 length, will this be an issue?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Since the OP is having the gun cut from 17 to 19 length, will this be an issue?
    Yes, On the Gen 5 with flared mag-well the cut has to be made above the flared part of grip. It will not sit flush like the pic in this thread. I asked Bowie if there was a fix, he stated no, due to flared mag-well.

Quote Originally Posted by HALO51 View Post
    Yes, it will be an issue. On the Gen 5 with flared mag-well the cut has to be made above the flared part of grip. It will not sit flush like the pic in (farscott pic) I asked Bowie if there was a fix, he stated no, due to flared mag-well.

Sorry I'm kind of late to the tread, but I can do the Chop on a Gen5 without issues. The flared section is removed during the chop, so there isn't any issues with fitment. The magazines will sit as flush as they do with a factory G19, except there will be no flare.

If there is a large gap between the bottom of the grip and the magazine, then too much was removed from the grip. I always take a tremendous amount of care when doing the chops because of the possibility of a pinched finger.

I have done tons of grip chops, and never had any issues.

Reductions on Gen5's are no problem either. You just have to work around the flared magwell, but it isn't huge deal. It's just taking the time to do it correctly.

Gen5 G19 with reduction, no deformation or damage to factory magwell.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 12-07-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Sorry I'm kind of late to the tread, but I can do the Chop on a Gen5 without issues. The flared section is removed during the chop, so there isn't any issues with fitment. The magazines will sit as flush as they do with a factory G19, except there will be no flare.

If there is a large gap between the bottom of the grip and the magazine, then too much was removed from the grip. I always take a tremendous amount of care when doing the chops because of the possibility of a pinched finger.

I have done tons of grip chops, and never had any issues.

Reductions on Gen5's are no problem either. You just have to work around the flared magwell, but it isn't huge deal. It's just taking the time to do it correctly.

Gen5 G19 with reduction, no deformation or damage to factory magwell.

TXPO
    Can you make them point like a 1911?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Can you make them point like a 1911?
    The reduction brings the rear backstrap inline with the front strap. It changes the angle at which the shooters hand holds the grip. How it feels is subjective to each shooter, so I can't say it will point like a 1911 for you. I find it does point more naturally for my hand, and other report the same to me, but I can't say how it will feel in your hand.

What I generally tell customers is, if the Glock fits your hand ok, a reduction will make it fit and feel a lot better. If a Glock doesn't fit your hand now, no amount of grip work is going to make it fit correctly.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

User Tag List