Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW TCP: first range session

Site Supporter

DW TCP: first range session

I've been eyeing the Dan Wesson TCP for a while since it came out--finally got one and took it for the first range session.

Pistol details
    * Aluminum framed commander, weighs about 32oz empty.
    * Trigger is nearly perfect for a carry pistol--about 5lbs for an avg of 5 presses. Feels lighter since it's a short take-up and a crisp break.
    * Instead of a GI guide rod and recoil spring, it uses a one piece guide rod with flat wire recoil spring system, which is supposed to soak up recoil.
    * Added 2 upgrades:
    - Dawson Precision F.O. front sight. The factory front brass bead sight was not as good for visibility, to my eyes.
    - Wilson B.P. ambi tactical thumb safety

Range session
    * 110 rounds including 115/124/147gr FMJ, and some HST/G.D.
    * Three brands of 10rd mags, all worked equally well after the initial few mags: the Dan Wesson branded mags (these look like Metalform, need to confirm that), Tripp Cobra mags (what I use with other 1911's), and Wilson's ETM-V.
    * A handful of failures to extract/stovepipes the first 3 mags, after that smooth sailing, all mags, all ammo types, from mags 4 thru 11. Looking around online and reviews like this one, it's fairly common that DW's are fitted tightly and will do this the first few rounds on a new gun.
    * Pistol is extremely soft shooting--softer on recoil than my steel framed 1911 commander that weighs 10oz more.
    * Accuracy was excellent for first trip out. I think this thing might be a laser, eager to shoot it off sand bags or a rest and see what it can do at 25y, supported. Two of the better targets are shown below, these are 20rd each, seeing what it could do with slow aimed fire shooting offhand at 15 yards. Yeah those targets are goofy, they are the range's targets but I forgot mine and these were free, so hey don't judge me, you'd have done the same thing. :-)

Congrats on the new DW. I have the A2 model which is like a GI full-size 45. Solid pistol with a great factory trigger pull. I have put a variety of FMJ and JHP ammo through it. Runs great. Enjoy your new pistol!!!

It is really, really hard to carry other guns once you fall in with an LWC.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It is really, really hard to carry other guns once you fall in with an LWC.
    This is true.

On the other hand, at least when it comes to the 45, I have found that if I carry a Lightweight Commander I need to practice with it more often than I care to. The recoil impulse is just different enough from a steel gun that shooting one is not like shooting the other. With a 9mm or 38 Super the difference is much less pronounced.

I have been carrying a Lightweight Government 45 lately, which is nice because it shoots more like a full size gun but carries more like a Lwt Cmdr -- at least in terms of weight. I'd like to have a Lwt Gov in 38 Super but currently the only company I know of that is making one is Nighthawk Custom and I'm not currently committed to funding that purchase. That could change however.

I don't have a real need for a 9mm LWC, but my mind keeps going back to the idea that it would be a great gun to use when introducing people to handguns.

That Dan Wesson certainly looks like a nice piece.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Congrats on the new DW. I have the A2 model which is like a GI full-size 45. Solid pistol with a great factory trigger pull. I have put a variety of FMJ and JHP ammo through it. Runs great. Enjoy your new pistol!!!
    How do you like your A2? Is it reliable enough that you'd consider carrying it (assuming you wanted to carry a full-size 1911, which almost nobody does these days :-) )? Actually had an eye on those and the Vigil series too, nice classic 1911 look and super accurate, acc to friends that have the Vigil series in 9mm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I've been eyeing the Dan Wesson TCP for a while since it came out--finally got one and took it for the first range session.

Pistol details
    * Aluminum framed commander, weighs about 32oz empty.
    * Trigger is nearly perfect for a carry pistol--about 5lbs for an avg of 5 presses. Feels lighter since it's a short take-up and a crisp break.
    * Instead of a GI guide rod and recoil spring, it uses a one piece guide rod with flat wire recoil spring system, which is supposed to soak up recoil.
    * Added 2 upgrades:
    - Dawson Precision F.O. front sight. The factory front brass bead sight was not as good for visibility, to my eyes.
    - Wilson B.P. ambi tactical thumb safety

Range session
    * 110 rounds including 115/124/147gr FMJ, and some HST/G.D.
    * Three brands of 10rd mags, all worked equally well after the initial few mags: the Dan Wesson branded mags (these look like Metalform, need to confirm that), Tripp Cobra mags (what I use with other 1911's), and Wilson's ETM-V.
    * A handful of failures to extract/stovepipes the first 3 mags, after that smooth sailing, all mags, all ammo types, from mags 4 thru 11. Looking around online and reviews like this one, it's fairly common that DW's are fitted tightly and will do this the first few rounds on a new gun.
    * Pistol is extremely soft shooting--softer on recoil than my steel framed 1911 commander that weighs 10oz more.
    * Accuracy was excellent for first trip out. I think this thing might be a laser, eager to shoot it off sand bags or a rest and see what it can do at 25y, supported. Two of the better targets are shown below, these are 20rd each, seeing what it could do with slow aimed fire shooting offhand at 15 yards. Yeah those targets are goofy, they are the range's targets but I forgot mine and these were free, so hey don't judge me, you'd have done the same thing. :-)

That's a nice looking pistol. I really like the bevel at the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    How do you like your A2? Is it reliable enough that you'd consider carrying it (assuming you wanted to carry a full-size 1911, which almost nobody does these days :-) )? Actually had an eye on those and the Vigil series too, nice classic 1911 look and super accurate, acc to friends that have the Vigil series in 9mm.
    Yes, I have confidence in the A2 for self-defense, but not a carry piece....HK P2000 is what I’m partial to for CCW. The A2 is well-made and accurate. I like the Parkerized finish. Slide/frame fit is just right....not too tight or loose. Strong ejection. I am just flat satisfied with the pistol’s build and accuracy.

Awesome! Great looking gun. Really looking forward to seeing how this one does as the round count gets higher! Are you planning a 2K or just planning to shoot it until you feel like cleaning it?

Site Supporter
    ^Rob, I haven't decided yet. For the time being I'm not planning to carry this, but I got it as a LW complement to my other 1911's with the idea that I *might* carry it later. Toyed with the idea that I've seen floated here too in the past, maybe commit to carry and train with a 1911 for 6 months or a year and see how it goes.

As for reliability, yeah my comfort zone is 1K trouble-free rounds before I'd consider it for carry or HD. So I'm about 80 rounds into that. I hadn't planned a 2K test, but like the idea of maybe combining my 1K series with the suggestion of holding on maintenance over those rounds to see how it does.

User Tag List