Thread: Left handed gun manipulations.

Left handed gun manipulations.

Over the past couple of years I've taken my wife shooting on several occasions and she had a good time pulling the trigger but that was the extent of her gun handling. I took care of loading the gun and magazine changes wanting her to only have to focus on enjoying herself and putting rounds on target.

For whatever reason that small spark has turned into a flame and I'd like to keep the ball rolling. She's shown a genuine interest in learning more about guns and shooting and I'd like to help her keep that interest alive and not get frustrated in the beginning with learning the basics as a southpaw.

The problem is that I'm right handed and she's a lefty and I'd like to teach her the basics the correct way the first time. Admittedly my weak handed magazine changes suck and I'd like to get better at them along with teaching my wife the correct way to perform them as well.

My question is what is considered the "best way" to teach gun manipulations to a lefty? Magazines changes and operating the slide lock/release are the 2 biggest things I can think of for her initial training. Is using the index finger the preferred method? What about the slide release? Should she just go with racking the slide versus dropping it with the release? Any other suggestions as to other things I might have missed?

After having shot my M&P 9mm, G19 and a Wilson she's come to the conclusion that she prefers the Glock to the others so this is what I'll be teaching her on.

I'm a lefty and shoot Glocks as well. The easiest way I find to change mags is to use my left index finger. I even find that easier than right handed and using your thumb as intended.
    As for the slide release I just rack the slide with my right hand. If using the slide stop is preferred I actually found the extended slide stop lever easy to operate with my left index finger. I do that with my g35 but have not put that on my carry guns.

I'm a lefty, but I hit the magazine release with my trigger finger. My FNP can swap it around, but I left it 'righty' friendly. It does require breaking your grip a little on the FNP, but not on the glock 19 - but that will depend on the person and the gun. It seems that smaller hands may have it easier there.

I've moved to racking the slide on reloads. It may be a little slower than hitting the slide release, but there's a lot to grab there, good for hi-stress situations.

Quote Originally Posted by turbolag23 View Post
    As for the slide release I just rack the slide with my right hand. If using the slide stop is preferred I actually found the extended slide stop lever easy to operate with my left index finger. I do that with my g35 but have not put that on my carry guns.
    I'll be installing the new Vickers slide release so I think this may help on a carry gun and using the slide release for her. I'll also be teaching her to rack the slide as well to see which she prefers.

Thanks for your input guys, definitely appreciated by me and the Mrs.

i'd be interested in trying the Vickers mag and slide release. the Glock extended mag release is not for lefties. it digs right into your hand, i've managed to place it right between my index and middle fingers while shooting the g35.

all depends on what works for your girlfriend. i know my girlfriend only likes shooting my 19c but doesnt like loading mags at all. I cant critique her grip or technique either...

I have the Vickers mag release installed and it hasn't presented any issues for her so far. She's going to be taking the NRA Basic Pistol next month, her idea!, and I want her to be more comfortable for the class with having a little more knowledge than she currently possesses.

Fingers crossed she enjoys the class and I'm hoping to convince her to take a VSM class afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by turbolag23 View Post
    i'd be interested in trying the Vickers mag and slide release. the Glock extended mag release is not for lefties. it digs right into your hand, i've managed to place it right between my index and middle fingers while shooting the g35.

all depends on what works for your girlfriend. i know my girlfriend only likes shooting my 19c but doesnt like loading mags at all. I cant critique her grip or technique either...
    I was thinking of getting the glock one and using a soldering gun to lower the profile.

Lefty using a 1911

This is my method. It works great on my 1911 and M&P but not so good with a sig because where the slide stop is.

Upon slide lock I use my middle finger to operate the mag release. I at the same time put my trigger finger on the slide stop (off target off trigger. It's good training anyways). When the new mag goes in and is seated home the jolt puts enough pressure to drop the slide lock. At that point I do my press out and I am on target, on trigger.

Two advantages is it is fast and it requires very little grip adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Upon slide lock I use my middle finger to operate the mag release. I at the same time put my trigger finger on the slide stop (off target off trigger. It's good training anyways).
    I'll have her give that a shot as well. Thanks!

User Tag List